Combat Mission: Gettysburg

Eh? Scenarios? I assume you mean a new game release based on the CMx2 engine, set in the U.S. Civil War?

I have heard of no such plans, and while anything is possible, I don't think it's likely BFC will try to take a bite out of this apple anytime soon. They've got enough on their plates with planned WWII games and a return to modern era to keep themselves busy for at least the next 5 years or so.

While I think it would be theoretically possible for the CMx2 engine to be used as the basis for an interesting Civil War-era game, it would require extensive modification. For starters, infantry units in the Civil War did not behave at all like WWII era units did, so the Unit AI would have to pretty much be redone from scratch. Then there's totally different C2 systems, radically different weapons technologies, etc.

Eh? Scenarios? I assume you mean a new game release based on the CMx2 engine, set in the U.S. Civil War?

I have heard of no such plans, and while anything is possible, I don't think it's likely BFC will try to take a bite out of this apple anytime soon. They've got enough on their plates with planned WWII games and a return to modern era to keep themselves busy for at least the next 5 years or so.

While I think it would be theoretically possible for the CMx2 engine to be used as the basis for an interesting Civil War-era game, it would require extensive modification. For starters, infantry units in the Civil War did not behave at all like WWII era units did, so the Unit AI would have to pretty much be redone from scratch. Then there's totally different C2 systems, radically different weapons technologies, etc.

So, Yankee Dog.......... What you saying??? :)

I'm saying that if you want to start your own computer wargame company (or if you already happen to be the direction of one), license the CMx2 engine from BFC, and then develop and publish a U.S. Civil War game based on said engine, the way would appear to be open.

While I think it's "possible" to do a CMx2 game on the War for Southern Independence, I think it's highly unlikely. Most of the major battles, and the ones most are familiar with, were large scale conflicts. First and Second Manassas, Seven Days, Chancellorsville, Sharpsburg, Gettysburg... these are army scale battles, far from the tactical level combat at which CM excels. Add in the western war and they would almost certainly have to model gunships, although this might be handled similar to OB artillery

Cavalry adds another entirely new dimension. BFC wouldn't model Cossacks for CMBB, and they won't even give us dead cows for CMBN... are they going to model live horses and riders for CMWfSI? A game from this period would be almost like starting over, with all the new soldier actions required. Just think how many uniform mods would be required

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this era of history, second only to my love of WWII and would much prefer this to another modern game (except possibly a Cold War era game set in Western Europe). Battles could be scaled down to smaller skirmishes within the larger battles, but even actions like Pickett's Charge, of Miller's Cornfield, the Bloody Lane and Burnside's Bridge are far beyond the scale of CM.

And, we can't forget that CM is a niche game. While I know that "civil war" reenactments are very popular in some parts of the U.S., how many folks outside this country are going to be drawn to the game?

I'd love to see a really good WfSI game. I just don't think CM, as it currently stands, is the engine for it.

I'm not sure I completely agree that most battles in the U.S. Civil War are "out of CM's scale". It's certainly true that modeling Civil War tactical combat in any satisfying way would mean a lot more soldiers on a side than you see in CMBN. However, the base units of maneuver would also generally be much larger and more tightly packed. So instead of controlling teams of 2-6 and squads of 8-12 men, you'd be controlling individual units of dozens, even hundreds of men. But the overall map sizes and engagement distances would be close to, or within CM's scale.

But in general, yes, lots of other stuff would have to be added and/or modified to do 19th century tactical combat with the CMx2 engine. In addition to all Rake mentions, player interface and degree of control would have to be totally different to create a reasonable level of verisimilitude to the kind of things a Civil War commander could do on the battlefield.

And yes, as Mord notes, there are other companies out there who are already doing this sort of thing, so I'm not sure there's really a pressing need to transform CMx2 engine into something that could do 19th century tactical combat.

I had thought about trying to make a Gettysburg map..just for fun. Maybe try a Pickett's Charge using WWII troops and weapons. Never got very far on it though. I don't have the talent or patience some of the scenario designers have. :)

There was the old Human Wave command in CMBB for the Russians

If you want civil war look no further than Scourge of War Gettysburg by norbsoftdev.....

Los

I enjoy SOW but i find that Take Command: 2nd Manassas is a much more pleasant experience, especially with the Community Mod Pack 4.0 available.

Its ok, I find the UI isn't as streamlined as TC:2M and its harder to ID your units. I also don't like the color palette as I find it too dark. But the AI has been dramatically improved and you can almost get away with just giving your Brigade commanders general orders and let them figure it out. I think Ill enjoy it more when theres more community support but for right now I play more TC:2M.