Please mod out the tank rocking when fires.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that it's not about seeing the initial recoil, which doubtless happened as BD says, but more the rocking that follows.

I'm in the camp that found it irritating for a long time, and would have preferred it less. I will say that I've gotten used to it now and it doesn't irritate me any more, except when my attention is drawn to it.

For those who say it's a minor issue: so is muzzle flare and many other visual niceties. Leaves flying up when shots hit trees. It's these visual niceties that add up to the great visual experience, and it's jolts like stupid looking rocking tanks that can ruin it. If we wanted just realism and not worry about visuals, we could get a print out...

and modders would be out of a job....

GaJ

The sad part is calculating how many programming hours were spent on the "unrealistic" rocking motion when the time could have been spent on other features.

as i understand they spent the hours on CMSF where the rocking is quite appropriate and didn't on CMBN to tune down the movement so they actually spent less hours on CMBN :) and therefore gave us more important things :)

While you are thinking over about the rocking motion simulation in the game made or not by tanks while firing their main gun, you could as well get into the effect of the gun blast on nearby infantrymen.:D

That was a real problem and it is still today for the unlucky infantryman being too close.

Besides drum blast, he could suffer severe injuries.

However, if these are real facts, I don’t think that rendering them, is going to change anything in the very good simulation that B-N is.

The only sure thing is that you won’t play the game while writing about these considerations.

That is your choice, not mine at least for such details.

I am not saying that what is written is not interesting, but will it make such a huge difference if the game has them ?

Just to explain more my thoughts. I have the DCS A-1O warthog simulation. When putting the setting on real simulation instead of game, I fly easily, take off and land as well, but I am unable to apply easily, the real procedures in order to use its weapons loads, as suited. It is too complex (that is, in a laptop environment)

Since I don’t care to be an Air Guard pilot (the simulation was done initially for them) and that I am not passing a qualification exam, I let aside the game for better days.

BTW, when I had some years back, opportunities to fly a jetliner in a top notch simulator, with a friend of mine as an instructor, I found that it was easier than on the laptop. A simulator can not be compare with a PC simulation.

So that means that if it is too complex, in a PC environment, the multiplicity of all that should be taken in account may at one moment jeopardize the wanted result.

More, B-N is an excellent simulation, but it is not a hundred percent, real life transposition of all that can be found humanly and technically for the materials being displayed.

I think that getting around ninety percent, if that is the average that can be defined is in its way pretty good and above many simulations I have played in the last years :cool:

BF, you leave that Tank Rockin just as it is,

First, it just makes me happy that it drives some others here crazy.

Second, your not allowed to waste one second on it until you fix the indestructable trees first, now there is a issue. Tank rockin has nothin on that!!!!

At least it isn't a brain taxing reasoned response.

The amount of rocking when starting and stopping is realistic. What could use a tweek is the speed of the rocking, i.e. they rock too fast.

A lot of seasick tankers would have been the result if they really did rock that much and that fast, especially if they had been drinking French wine and beer.

I was basing my observations on contempory footage of the Eastern front showing Pz IV`s (long 75), Panthers and Tiger I`s.

But in general you are right by saying that there are (far) more important features to get right- armour arcs and pathfinding to name but two.Still think this game is 90% CMSF with Shermans etc :-) .Please also do some work on the godawful interface.

Still it`s a good game and I still buy all the releases (from CMBO onwards) .

2.57 - it doesn't rock, the tank doesn't seem to move at all. Only the gun barrel is "working".

On the other hand, I'm almost sure if I found a video of an 76mm Sherman shooting it's main gun, it would move a bit and maybe even rock a little. It's a different platform.

Ya know, this never bothered me before, even though it had been discussed in older threads. But after reading this thread, when I was watching the action in a game with some armor the other night (recently, I mostly haven't had armor in the games I've been playing), the rocking started to bug me!

Thanks guys.:(

A lot of seasick tankers would have been the result if they really did rock that much and that fast, especially if they had been drinking French wine and beer.

One small issue is that tanks in CM tend to stop more abruptly than they typically do IRL, especially if you are going from a Fast move to a stop. When real tanks do start and stop abruptly they rock a fair amount since seasickness is preferable to a face-plant. The problem is that because they rock too quickly it gives the impression of having little mass. I rarely pay attention to it myself.

It's a graphical, visual "issue" after all.

Not important at all to the gameplay (IMO).

I disagree. It can have an effect on gameplay when a tank comes to a halt and rocks & rolls all over the place while trying to fire accurately at an enemy target that it acquired a bit before coming to a halt. Here the rocking does affect the shot so that it can either slam into the ground woefully short of the target or alternatively, shoot over the target as if shooting for the stars and miss by the proverbial country mile.

There's just one example of a real effect within the game that is unrealistic compared with what would happen if a Panther or Tiger or whatever tank you care to mention which was properly designed to absorb the recoil energy of its gun or of its movement. All for the sake of eye candy that grossly over exagerates the real situation of WWII tanks.

Regards

KR

I disagree. It can have an effect on gameplay when a tank comes to a halt and rocks & rolls all over the place while trying to fire accurately at an enemy target that it acquired a bit before coming to a halt. Here the rocking does affect the shot so that it can either slam into the ground woefully short of the target or alternatively, shoot over the target as if shooting for the stars and miss by the proverbial country mile.

Would evidence of that be too much to ask for?

Given depression and elevation are not modelled on the tank gun I would be surprised if the rocking motion did have any gameplay effect other than spoil the immersive feel.

However it may be that there is a general fudge factor involved as I have seen stationary tanks open fire on my test range and hit hugely short and over on targets - though at 1800 metres.

Given depression and elevation are not modelled on the tank gun I would be surprised if the rocking motion did have any gameplay effect other than spoil the immersive feel.

LOL. Nailed it.

However it may be that there is a general fudge factor involved as I have seen stationary tanks open fire on my test range and hit hugely short and over on targets - though at 1800 metres.

Were they rocking at the time? Or was the first shot accurate, due to the stable platform, and only subsequent ones messed up due to the rocking?

Note that from what I've seen, the reload time vastly exceeds the rocking time, so it would certainly be a bug we' have to complain about, if rocking due to recoil is affecting firing ;)

OTOH, KR was talking about rocking due to stopping affecting firing. Wouldn't that be absorbed into the general fudge factor for firing-on-the-move being less accurate? Except... have we established that this isn't modelled? Or was that fixed? I lost track!

GaJ

The tanks involved are 75mm Shermans, and MkIV's, so they are designed for the gun size.

At 1800m there were AFAIR no first round hits.

The IV's are immobilised and the Shermans have a history of only one moving in 19 instances so rocking via movement does not have any bearing. Bizarrely one Sherman hit 3 times consecutively on the front hull - not seeing the firer at all - did not move or pop smoke. : )

Is there any way to play a WE-GO game over the internet in real-time.

ie, not the real-time set-up; still using the 1 minute intervals, but playing a human opponent live? and maybe giving 1-2 minutes to review and issue orders? has this been brought up?

This has been brought up, and brought up, and brought up. No word on changes, no one knows if it will ever happen.

On Kanonier Reichmann's point, I do sometimes see a tank fire a shot into the ground because of the rocking forward upon stopping. It happens rarely but it is possible. I might try to replicate it in a file later.

On Kanonier Reichmann's point, I do sometimes see a tank fire a shot into the ground because of the rocking forward upon stopping. It happens rarely but it is possible. I might try to replicate it in a file later.

Causality established?

I often see my stationary tanks pummel the ground horribly short of the target.

Can you say with certainty your tank at stand-still wouldn't have done that?

sry, i'm a sporadic threadder. i thought it was brought up, just too lazy to search

Yes, I have seen it happen as well. No, I do not have a test for it. I'm not even sure how to create such a beast.

The time I do remember it well was when a Sherman was crossing a breached bocage bump. It fired its main gun (based on the area target order I gave it on the bocage line on the other side of the field) just as the shocks bounced low after the tank came over the bump. The He round hit halfway through the field instead of on the other side.