The Scottish Corridor Thread

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:
16 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

So when it's advance o' clock, that platoon will run towards its defined destination.

The Assault AI Order is often a better choice if there is uncertainty about enemy presence IMHO, but no designer can cover every eventuality.

The assault order would just make the enemy formation leapfrog forward, but they would still end up running into the Bren carrier machinegun and not stop...

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

The assault order would just make the enemy formation leapfrog forward, but they would still end up running into the Bren carrier machinegun and not stop...

They leapfrog with Advance too, but in Assault they will make much more of an effort to find cover & shoot back.

The Next step up is Max Assault, where the units will stop moving and engage any targets they have LOS to, movement will not resume until those targets have been eliminated (and when they do resume, they'll often do it at a crawl, which is irritating).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 1 year later...

@Paper Tiger Just wanted to pop in here and give my thanks to the author of The Scottish Corridor campaign.

having a hell of a good time. Finding the computer A.I. plans quite crafty and unpredictable, which is a feat in itself.

Lately, as I drift of to sleep at night, I'm thinking about how I could have done better by that lonely platoon leader. Or which way I should plan my attack on the morrow.

Cheers!
Gpig

On 4/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, Gpig said:

@Paper Tiger Just wanted to pop in here and give my thanks to the author of The Scottish Corridor campaign.

having a hell of a good time. Finding the computer A.I. plans quite crafty and unpredictable, which is a feat in itself.

Lately, as I drift of to sleep at night, I'm thinking about how I could have done better by that lonely platoon leader. Or which way I should plan my attack on the morrow.

Cheers!
Gpig

I agree with you @Gpig @Vacillator

it's true that this campaign is extra, and very immersive
I even made a wet landscape mod

hs3i.jpg

89ax.jpg

it is not finished, something is missing
if you want to try and have ideas

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5i7bk0ipx0k659l/AABgre9yc4pa7fgWg5E40Egfa?dl=0

Edited by Falaise

6 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Is it everything in the folder Steph?  Happy to give it a try but my memories of Normandy are dry (weather-wise at least) and sunny.  Lovely!

As a young whippersnapper you are too young to have been there during '44. To quote Kay Summersby's bit on on the side, "Don't you people ever have a god damn summer".

For much of Epsom it was a mixture of heavy rain and brief sunny intervals.

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

As a young whippersnapper you are too young to have been there during '44. To quote Kay Summersby's bit on on the side, "Don't you people ever have a god damn summer".

For much of Epsom it was a mixture of heavy rain and brief sunny intervals.

You make a reasonable point, my memories are indeed of more recent visits, during which I had better luck with the weather and a warmer welcome than that extended by the likes of the 12th SS.

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

You make a reasonable point, my memories are indeed of more recent visits, during which I had better luck with the weather and a warmer welcome than that extended by the likes of the 12th SS.

The irony is that the after effects of storms in the Channel, meant far fewer Typhoons in the sky.

@VacillatorTo tell the truth in Normandy it normally rains regularly ( "y r'pleut" in Norman language) , but this is less true now, due to global warming !!!
Like said  @Warts 'n' allSummer 44 was also very rainy especially in June until mid August then very dry in August
it would be necessary, I have to do it for years, do the daily weather forecast for the summer of 44 , in the unit march logs, the weather is noted .
this mod is a modified version of the ground Aris. It is to added in a zzzz folder in the z in addition to my month mod ground or the original version of @Lucky_Strike
it may be necessary to make the vehicle also, I modify the balance according to a fixed value!

We have to bear in mind that Kay Summersby's bit on the side was from Texas. So when he landed in Scotland during the winter of 43/44 it was probably the first time he'd seen rain. Of course, by the time of the invasion he had become used to wet bed sheets. "Allegedly", as Angus Deayton used to say.

• 1 year later...

I'm just starting The Scottish Corridor campaign. After six months of playing this game (mostly infantry scenarios), I want to see how I can fare in this reputedly very difficult campaign. 🥶

Anyway, I was surprised to notice that the briefing specifies that my core units start at 80% strength because of the losses sustained during the approach march. Fine. But obviously they DON'T. All my squads have 10 men (good for me!).

Which leads me to wonder wether @Paper Tiger never noticed the headcount bug (which forbids to modify initial headcount for core units), or if this bug only appears in recent versions of CMBN?

On 6/29/2023 at 11:58 PM, PEB14 said:

I'm just starting The Scottish Corridor campaign. After six months of playing this game (mostly infantry scenarios), I want to see how I can fare in this reputedly very difficult campaign. 🥶

Anyway, I was surprised to notice that the briefing specifies that my core units start at 80% strength because of the losses sustained during the approach march. Fine. But obviously they DON'T. All my squads have 10 men (good for me!).

Which leads me to wonder wether @Paper Tiger never noticed the headcount bug (which forbids to modify initial headcount for core units), or if this bug only appears in recent versions of CMBN?

I was not aware of this bug. I'm not sure I want to 'correct' it as the campaign is hard enough already.

I'd have to redo the entire core unit file, import all the new units and place them so it might be some time before I can do even a simple correction as updating the briefing. :D

3 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

I was not aware of this bug. I'm not sure I want to 'correct' it as the campaign is hard enough already.

It certainly isn't worth correcting… except perhaps the briefing (to eliminate the mention to the 80% understrength companies). Anyway there isn't anything you can do against this bug.

3 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

I'd have to redo the entire core unit file, import all the new units and place them so it might be some time before I can do even a simple correction as updating the briefing. :D

I'm not sure to understand what you mean… To correct a briefing, you only need to correct the mission briefing and generate the Campaign again? And to correct a campaign briefing, you only need to modify the campaign briefing, and then generate the Campaign again? Did I miss something?

I'm really wondering wether it's a "new" bug, or just a bug that nobody ever noticed… I'll go for the first option, as your campaign has been playtested and played a lot, and so the bug would have been noticed soon after its release.

Anyway I don't complain, the added 20% forces help me score a Tactical Victory !… 😊

Correcting a typo in the briefing means I need the original core units file to recompile the campaign and I lost all my campaign files nearly 10 years ago in a really bad hard drive burnout (although it only seems like a couple of years ago). Making a new core units file also means re-importing all the units into each mission and placing them before recompiling otherwise the whole thing would be utterly broken. So it's not trivial at the moment. If I had a the original core units file, you'd be correct - it would be a few seconds work.

It's a job I'll get around to eventually but it's far down the list.

2 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

Correcting a typo in the briefing means I need the original core units file to recompile the campaign and I lost all my campaign files nearly 10 years ago in a really bad hard drive burnout (although it only seems like a couple of years ago).

Ouch...

2 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

It's a job I'll get around to eventually but it's far down the list.

Re-building a whole campaign for a few lines of briefing? Well I think I can understand how low in the to do list it might be...

And with some luck the "core file headcount bug" might be solved one day, who knows? 🤨

On 6/29/2023 at 6:58 PM, PEB14 said:

Good luck. It's certainly a challenge, but far from impossible.