Quick Battle Maps For CW: What's New

The Commonwealth Module comes with nearly 100 new Quick Battle Maps. Your QB Map File now contains 526 maps! They should be easy to spot. Just look for any Map Name that is 200 or up. Like this: Attk Small Hills QB-201

So What's New?

The AI Defender has been given a third group in which to place units. The idea is to allow the AI a forward defensive line with a variable timed movement order along with coverage around the objectives and over watch line in the rear. This gives the AI two groups with a variable time movement order. NOTE: The AI will always base it's setup on the number of units it has available. So the player can never be quite certain where the defensive line begins, nor where a counter-attack can come.

The AI Attacker, on occasion, may use three groups to attack. I have used this technique on some of the larger ATTACK and Meeting Engagement Style maps.

Many thanks to the BFC scenario designers who contributed maps and a special thanks to LJFHutch for his contributions to the CW QB Maps.

I also wish to thank those players who reported defects in the CMBN Release QB Maps. There weren't many mistakes but I can guarantee they were all bone headed and mine! OH... And They're fixed

I am solely responsible for a QB maps quality and playability. So if something wrong it's up to me to fix it. Really. So if you find a QB map that just doesn't work please send me the complete name of the map (Meet Large Open QB-222) with a description of what you think is going on. I will do my best to sort it out.

I hope you enjoy the maps!

First of all I would like to say thanks to you and anyone else who contributed. I play QBs almost exclusively so it's fair to say I probably wouldn't even be playing CMBN without your efforts.

I do have one question because I don't have the game yet. Has there been any change in how urban maps are designed? As you know, the onus for making urban battlefields in CMBN play somewhat realistically (rather than the nirvana for armor that they often are) has been placed onto the shoulders of the map makers. I personally think it's more of a gameplay issue, but it is what it is for now so I'm wondering how things are progressing on that end.

So if something wrong it's up to me to fix it. Really.

And if something goes really well with a QB, it's all up to Mark for having done an awesome job on these. So please do not hesitate to also post if nothing is wrong, and you are just blown away by the quality of these QB maps! Really! :)

...I do have one question because I don't have the game yet. Has there been any change in how urban maps are designed? As you know, the onus for making urban battlefields in CMBN play somewhat realistically (rather than the nirvana for armor that they often are) has been placed onto the shoulders of the map makers. I personally think it's more of a gameplay issue, but it is what it is for now so I'm wondering how things are progressing on that end.

Hopefully the latest city maps will be better received. I used more trees and walls but no where near the amount of flavor objects that would make for a great city map. I am always stuck in the volume/time vortex of QB map design. I truly wish other map designers will step in to do the really fine detail work that will make city maps truly immersive. But the visual aspect is only a part of the equation.

I believe AI Pathing orders plays the larger roll. I put a lot of thought into just how to place and use pathing orders and have made changes in how I present them map by map. A QB Map's AI pathing MUST always be useable for any possible combination of units. Add to the mix the inability to see terrain elevations in the AI Editor makes AI Pathing orders slower and mistakes

look pretty ugly. The AI -and even the BFC programmers- get the blame.

And so it goes

Dear Mark,

Please express my eternal gratitude to all the talented cartographer, the chief being you.

I play mostly QB and all your efforts have contributed immensly to my CMBN experience.

Thank you again.

I'm so glad to hear it! You're welcome

These QB maps are AMAZING!!! Thank you very much Mark. I play QBs for the most part and these maps are much appreciated. I am having some difficulty getting used to the more open terrain provided in the CW module. After fighting in the hedgerows for almost a year, the tactics for fighting in a more open environment were rusty to say the least. Really keeps me interested in CM.

These QB maps are AMAZING!!!

I do appreciate the kind words. But that's not why I keep bumping the thread (yeah I shoulda requested a sticky but it just seemed kinda pompous). There are some changes in how I'm using the AI orders group that some players will want to know about. So.... bump.

I do have a question about the QB maps. I understand that all of them can be played with either side attacking or defending. To make some fun personal scenarios, I will edit QB maps in the editor to use forces with no point restriction. How can you make one side or the other attack as when I look at the AI plans and deployments it is set to one side attacking only.

Lotta work to change an Allied Attack map to Allied defend...as you have already figured! Look for The Attacker/Defender setup you need. While most QB maps default to Allied attacker (historically reasonable) there are Axis attack maps as well. And while that plays no role in a QB Game you'll really want to find a map that suits your attacker/defender needs. Just scroll through the QB maps as if you were selecting a map for a QB Game. Look for which side is attacking graphic and make note of the map name.

I tell you what. I am seriously impressed with the content in general that comes with this CW forces release. It is a serious amount of bang for the buck! It more than DOUBLES the base game in question of forces, maps and scenarios!!

Also, the 1.10 patch has some pretty significant tweaks. .... I mean, I now approach buildings in an entirely different way.

I think team BF has hit their stride. The "Module System" that was started in the Shock Force series combined with the greater interest and audience they have for the WWII setting .... hopefully this will be the "bump" that lets team BF keep taking it to the next level!!!

With passion and resources .... competitors beware!!!

Could you finesse it with the red vs red/red vs blue/blue vs blue setting?
Very interesting idea, Jon... I was responding to the question of using a QB map for making simple player made scen. So I expect the player will still need to convert one side of the map to suit his needs. In fact the player must actually adjust (for eaxample) the allied attack to axis attack in the editor before repainting the setup zones, as well has changing the setup from blue/blue to "standard". So I suggest it's better for the player to just look for maps with the basic setup already config as the path of least resistance.

Note: From a QB Play standpoint it just doesn't matter what the original map sides are, so no need to use an all allied or all axis config.

Hopefully the latest city maps will be better received. I used more trees and walls but no where near the amount of flavor objects that would make for a great city map. I am always stuck in the volume/time vortex of QB map design. I truly wish other map designers will step in to do the really fine detail work that will make city maps truly immersive. But the visual aspect is only a part of the equation.

I would personally rather have 10 great QB maps than 100 decent ones. But I understand that the need to have a variety of sizes and terrain types probably makes that impossible.

I have looked at the CW urban QB maps and they are a step up from the base game. They are still a bit spartan around the buildings, but adding flavor objects and maybe a rubbled building or two so AT teams have something to shoot out of isn't too hard, so I'm going to try doing that.