Wargame of the Year 2011

They are also not listed in alphabetical order, Panzer Corps is listed first for some reason ;)

It has the word Panzer and I guess in the wargame alphabet that's word number one.

Back in the 80s we had a rule that even when "just reading the rules aloud" you had to throw a foaming Hitler-fit whenever you said Panzer.

It was worst in some SPI magazine Sicily game IIRC. The Herman Goering Panzer Division had lots of special rules and you had to throw a Goering joke in with the foaming Hitler-fit. I've never really felt the same about Das German Duetsche-Armoured forces since then. I say wiping the foam off my face.

It was worst in some SPI magazine Sicily game IIRC. The Herman Goering Panzer Division had lots of special rules

ALL SPI German panzer units had special rules, I was always surprised there was not a. 8:12 "All German Panzer units are unbeatable, if the CRT calls for a result that would lead to their destruction the unit/s which inflicted the said result will be destroyed instead.

Ah, Strategy and Tactics, those were the days!

Yeah - I bought and thought it tiresome. A kids game pretending to be a wargame.

FYI - It is described as a "Beer and Pretzel" game and it is a re-make of the Panzer General game which was a blast to play when I owned it quite some years ago.

Not hardcore action like CMBN and not designed to be.

As mentioned by some reviewers it would be great entry option for kids to get into the wargame hobby....

FYI - It is described as a "Beer and Pretzel" game and it is a re-make of the Panzer General game which was a blast to play when I owned it quite some years ago.

Not hardcore action like CMBN and not designed to be.

As mentioned by some reviewers it would be great entry option for kids to get into the wargame hobby....

Oh right - thanks for that - I have only been wargaming for about 30 years now so wouldnt have known otherwise.

It is still to me not a wargame - like a couple of others on the wargamer

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II - Retribution ?? please do me a favour ...

Total war I suppose just might make it - but world of tanks ?

And as I said - its a kids game - its just not a wargame.

Oh right - thanks for that - I have only been wargaming for about 30 years now so wouldnt have known otherwise.

It is still to me not a wargame - like a couple of others on the wargamer

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II - Retribution ?? please do me a favour ...

Total war I suppose just might make it - but world of tanks ?

And as I said - its a kids game - its just not a wargame.

Panzer Corps is not a kids game. Kids these days would never play it. No 3d, no first person mode, no cut scenes, etc.

It is what it is, a very good remake of the old Panzer General series. Beer N Pretzels wargaming at it's finest.

If you prefer more realistic, "hard core" games, that's fine. I enjoy those too. But sometimes I like to take a break from all that, and Panzer Corps is my choice. And I've been playing wargames since, oh, 1980.

Sorry for not knowing you had 30 years of experience of wargaming...

My mind reading technique needs expanding....

Ohhh I feel a thought coming through....

How Rude!!!

;)

In my book a good wargame annd fun to play, did not know they had done a remake so maybe one to buy at a later date...

:)

Sorry for not knowing you had 30 years of experience of wargaming...

My mind reading technique needs expanding....

Ohhh I feel a thought coming through....

How Rude!!!

;)

In my book a good wargame annd fun to play, did not know they had done a remake so maybe one to buy at a later date...

:)

Not rude - just extremely condescending. the moral of the story is then - if you cant mind read dont arrogantly presume others dont know what you do.

Panzer Corps is not a kids game. Kids these days would never play it. No 3d, no first person mode, no cut scenes, etc.

It is what it is, a very good remake of the old Panzer General series. Beer N Pretzels wargaming at it's finest.

If you prefer more realistic, "hard core" games, that's fine. I enjoy those too. But sometimes I like to take a break from all that, and Panzer Corps is my choice. And I've been playing wargames since, oh, 1980.

Fine - but my point is its a game not a wargame - which I tend to define as at least marginally based in reality. For all the nice pictures of tanks make any difference the units might as well be zombies as T34's. Its as much a "wargame" as chess is.

depends on your definition I suppose

Fine - but my point is its a game not a wargame - which I tend to define as at least marginally based in reality. For all the nice pictures of tanks make any difference the units might as well be zombies as T34's. Its as much a "wargame" as chess is.

I played the Demo. If you're going to do a update of a hoary classic like Panzer General at least run the rivers along the hex sides not through them. Very retro design. But if the developer made some dough off it more power to him!

Good enough, friend. I don't feel like arguing semantics. I work for a living, and I work to stay fit, and I work to make my wife happy, and I work to maintain social relationships, etc., etc. To me, Panzer Corps is a wargame. Yes, it is loosly based on historical reality, but, to me, it has more of the "feel" of the cardboard wargames of my youth than many of the FPS "kids" wargames of the last few years.

I also enjoy CMBN, as I did the CMx1 games. And yes, I enjoy the more realistic wargames, such as Korsun Pocket, and I'm finally starting on the John Tiller Panzer Campaign series. I even played cardboard ASL (though, admittedly, I could not memorize the rulebook).

Sometimes you just have to pop the cork on a litre of wine and enjoy your free time. This is when I play Panzer Corps. Now, if you will excuse me, Operation Barbarossa is about to begin....

True, Wargamer is a bit of a misnomer as wargames per se get little discussion there compared to other more popular games and it is a very Matrix Games centric site (I believe Matrix used to or does own it?). However, always good to see some CMBN fans spreading the word. :)

I tried to register with Wargamer so i could vote, the voting is done by leaving a message, the links to the games nominated are just links to the game sites and do not create a vote, the problem i had was when i registered i recieved an email containing this:

Please note - you must complete this last step to become a registered member.

You will only need to visit this URL once to activate your account.

To complete your registration, please visit the following URL:

http://www.wargamer.com/members/?activate=i+sZwNnKGFAaBLH7YgkMSg

When i went to the link there was no way to activate anything ?????

Anyone else have this problem, i sent a message to Wagamer but have had no reply yet.