Patch Issues the CW Videos are trying to show

Aside from showing off all the new units and small arms weapons, I think the two Commonwealth videos show some patch issues that have been dealt with. Here's what I could see:

- 1st Video in the very beginning: LOS has been changed for units inside of buildings. They seem to be able to fire through windows while hiding deep inside of the structure. You can see an MG42 mow down some British troops running down the road ... the shots come from a pretty oblique angle through a window while the German solder is about 5m away from this window.

- 2nd Video where the British Troops are crossing the stone bridge: There are German troops firing at them from inside of a stone building. Lots of small arms fire is hitting the building with the Germans inside ... but no German soldiers get hit. .... Then, an HE round hits the building and one of the German soldiers goes down. ---- I think cover has been improved for stone buildings.

- 2nd Video - pans around a German 81mm mortar team: Their ROF is very high. I think this has been changed. I have never gotten such a high rate of fire for mortar teams in the current version of the game.

I'm sure there are more tweaks that the BF team was trying to point out ... but those of the ones that seemed to jump out at me.

- 1st Video in the very beginning: LOS has been changed for units inside of buildings. They seem to be able to fire through windows while hiding deep inside of the structure. You can see an MG42 mow down some British troops running down the road ... the shots come from a pretty oblique angle through a window while the German solder is about 5m away from this window.

Great minds think alike!

I'm on record as predicting- on another forum- that CMBN will hit its stride at patch#2.

I think you are correct. I think we are going to see a lot of LOS improvements in this patch that will make more "hilly" and "woodsy" maps a lot more enjoyable.

Also, buildings, especially stone buildings, will become a lot more useful and imposing. Heck, even wood buildings will be great for snipers as long as they are deep inside the building with only a keyhole LOS. (as apposed to pressed up against the window!)

These building improvements might even convince me to put men INSIDE of buildings instead of behind them!! :) ... also, it is going to make urban maps absolute hell ... as they should be.

I think you are correct. I think we are going to see a lot of LOS improvements in this patch that will make more "hilly" and "woodsy" maps a lot more enjoyable.

Yes. That's why many of us have remained blase amidst all the angst over mortars, allegedly fire-porous buildings and tank subsystems. These issues tend to get addressed over time, viz. Shock Force and previous CM1 entries. There's something about Battlefront that touches a nerve with certain users and causes them to explode in public with frustration, righteous indignation and even vindictiveness. As a phenomenon it's unique in the business and can be likely be attributed to their success, transparency and durability.

Also, buildings, especially stone buildings, will become a lot more useful and imposing. Heck, even wood buildings will be great for snipers as long as they are deep inside the building with only a keyhole LOS. (as apposed to pressed up against the window!)

These building improvements might even convince me to put men INSIDE of buildings instead of behind them!! :) ... also, it is going to make urban maps absolute hell ... as they should be.

I hope you right, but I would warn you to read too much into a couple of videos.

There are no major changes to LOS with the upcoming v1.10, so let's not read too much into one instance in one video :D However, there was a LOF (Line of Fire) bug that was fixed that might be what you're noticing. The bug caused Soldiers to sometimes aim too low in some circumstances that involved close in partial blocking terrain. Since fire is traced round by round having the aim point too low meant pumping rounds into something the Soldier should have been able to aim over.

Steve

There are no major changes to LOS with the upcoming v1.10, so let's not read too much into one instance in one video :D However, there was a LOF (Line of Fire) bug that was fixed that might be what you're noticing. The bug caused Soldiers to sometimes aim too low in some circumstances that involved close in partial blocking terrain. Since fire is traced round by round having the aim point too low meant pumping rounds into something the Soldier should have been able to aim over.

Steve

Ah interesting. So will that fix the low-firing HMG's for instance, where upon setting them up behind some low hedge, or in a foxhole, (where they have LOS) will fire at the ground, or hedge instead of firing over it? I had one such instance last night where the HMG was firing into the sandbags of the foxhole where I had set it up, rather than over them.

Ah interesting. So will that fix the low-firing HMG's for instance, where upon setting them up behind some low hedge, or in a foxhole, (where they have LOS) will fire at the ground, or hedge instead of firing over it? I had one such instance last night where the HMG was firing into the sandbags of the foxhole where I had set it up, rather than over them.

Yes, that should be fixed now.

Will BFC post a list of fixes and improvements before the CW module is released?

Probably right around the time we release. I'll see what the state of the release ReadMe is in. AFAIK it hasn't been compiled yet as we're busy with getting the last few fixes in.

And as a reminder to folks... game fixes are available for free to everybody. A v1.10 patch will come out as soon as possible after Commonwealth is released. The usual rounds of testing and installer issues prevent it from being simultaneous with Commonwealth.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

- 2nd Video where the British Troops are crossing the stone bridge: There are German troops firing at them from inside of a stone building. Lots of small arms fire is hitting the building with the Germans inside ... but no German soldiers get hit. .... Then, an HE round hits the building and one of the German soldiers goes down. ---- I think cover has been improved for stone buildings.

Even though I have CW, I can't install yet...so can anyone confirm #1 and 2 above.