Not bad for her age

How awesome is that? Even the paintjob is still intact.

Typical German over-engineering.

"Max, this vehicle's coat of paint is not up to standard. The specifications require the paintjob to be thicker!"

"But mein Herr, how does it matter, it will likely be destroyed after five minutes in combat..."

"How dare you question my orders! If I told you to give it a paint so thick that it will still be there after 70 years at the bottom of a swamp, you will do it!"

"...jawohl. Klaus, bring me another 10 barrels of Dunkelgelb!"

Now if my QB StuGs would flip over and sink on swamp tiles when immobilised, then I wouldn't mind bogging so much.

------

Oh, and I had a late '90s Minivan that got its rear drum brakes flooded for a day and then sat for a month ... it had to be dragged screaming from my driveway with the drums rusted tight.

My next car will just have to be a StuG.

Interesting video, can one of our Russian members provide a little more insight into this story? That dog sure was having fun and seemed quite interested in the whole process. I wonder if he was picking up the scent of the remains of the crew?

What are the two round objects mounted on the back deck?

I am guessing an anti-tank rifle round. Hole looks too small for a 45mm AT round.

The tracks are interesting, they are a lot wider than normal. Looks like they have been extended outboard. Was that a field mod or did they send new tracks out from the factory? Didn't help it get out of the hole though...

This is AMAZING! I cannot believe that thing survived for so long completely intact. A Polish friend of mine did some searching on the web site and seems to think that they completely repainted it during "restoration". The site isn't all that helpful, so I hope he is mistaken.

I would think that it shouldn't be that difficult for someone to pull the serial number from it and see how and when it was lost. Personally, I'd guess that the hit it took had nothing to do with it getting bogged and flipping over.

Edit: I don't know if any of you have looked at the other videos posted by this same YouTube user, but it looks like they've pulled out at least three T-34s in a similar manner. Also upside-down. One came out sans turret, but the other looks as complete as the Stug. Still full of main gun ammo and the big round MG ammo drums. Just incredible.

Track-edge extensions: Looks to me like the StG was operating in cold weather when they lost it.

Looks like winterketten, which would fit the location and the date. very similar to this Kubinka veteran http://uwemilitaria.org/2-Track/Stug3/17.html (bottom photo)

Perhaps the hit damaged the tank and they pushed it in to stop the Russians recovering it, After all, as Steiner would agree, almost all the German tanks that were lost on the Eastern Front were as a result of being demolished by their crews. Those that were genuinely lost were as a result of inferior manufacture by incompetent Slavic slave-workers unable, or unwilling, to understand complex German equipment.