Aris Terrain Version 2.0 WIP

Fuser

That looks amazing i hope my PC can handle it...

W7 64bit

8meg ram,

quad core 320ghz

1gig gfx

Sure it can, easily I´d say.

I like it very much (I know it´s not too humble on my part, but that´s the truth, why should I not say it after all). Doodads sometimes obscure the texture, but on plain grass it looks very nice.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, It`s up to you to decide which textures you like the best after all. I am sure there are many people in this forum who have found great combinations (better than mine for sure). I use my mods, that´s all, so I am limited in my scope. But if I was to choose mods, then, no doubt, I would look for Vein´s. Amazing stuff.

Well, It`s up to you to decide which textures you like the best after all. I am sure there are many people in this forum who have found great combinations (better than mine for sure). I use my mods, that´s all, so I am limited in my scope. But if I was to choose mods, then, no doubt, I would look for Vein´s. Amazing stuff.

I just was hoping for advice on how to get the best from your terrain mod only. I get confused as to which files to load and which ones not to.

Looks excellent, though I still think the blades of grass and clovers look very big compared to the brick work...like a few sizes to big. Some of the clover are nearly as big as a brick by the looks of it. Some of the grass looks like it must be an inch wide aswell.

Ok, High Definition Grass (4096x4096) is ready,...I have been struggling to get a proper scaled grass, highly crisp, and eventually I am happy with the result. I will upload it as single Optional Package. My computer can handle it quite easily, (well,...it´s an i7 with 1GB GPU...) but it´s up to you check it with your computer and see if yours can too.

HDGRASSThumb.jpg

I will include a reduced version (Stock size) in this same package.

Ok Wodin, I like it that way once in game :) , I appreciate your criticism though. Give me your opinions once the game loads if you apply this mod, please. I would like to know what people thinks. (Thinking about future HD mods,...)

Fuser your doing a great job mate..hope I didn't offend..I will see how it looks in game..more than likely I wont even notice anything..just with screenies you get the chance to hyper analyse. I have just completed a mod for another tactical wargame and ended up doing constant revisions to please everyone, which is OK when your making them for just a few but I can understand with this game you'd be forever doing the same mod about 100 times so everyone gets what they want!!

Again sorry if I sounded off or anything..just wondered if you noticed..also I reckon that if you did reduce it the quality would disappear anyway.

Looking at the screenie above thats one massive difference.

I think the challenge for modders is that you can have a mod look great close up, or you can have a mod look great from level 3-4 and above. But, it's hard (if even possible) to get a mod to look good at all levels.

That's why at level 3-4 and up a well-modded CM1 can look better than CM2.

I was a bit on the fence about the look of this mod (tremendous work, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't giving me a Normandy vibe), but the hi-res grass makes a huge difference. Not only is it prettier, it's somewhat darker and a little richer as well, and that looks a lot more like the Normandy I remember. If you would see fit to make a yellow grass version with the same adjustments (a bit darker and richer than the low-res), I'd be thrilled.

If you would see fit to make a yellow grass version with the same adjustments (a bit darker and richer than the low-res), I'd be thrilled.

Yellow Grass it´s quite difficult when you try to blend it with "green" standard grass. It´s (I think) supposed to be a kind of dead grass but if you make it yellow (too yellow I mean), it looks like a patch in the middle of the surrounding beautiful and crisp green grass.

I have been making tests, but due to maps and battles using it so little, I don´t know if it deserves the HD treatment. Here it is:

YellowGrasscopy.jpg

Yellow Grass it´s quite difficult when you try to blend it with "green" standard grass. It´s (I think) supposed to be a kind of dead grass but if you make it yellow (too yellow I mean), it looks like a patch in the middle of the surrounding beautiful and crisp green grass.

I have been making tests, but due to maps and battles using it so little, I don´t know if it deserves the HD treatment. Here it is:

YellowGrasscopy.jpg

I know what you mean; the yellow grass tends to stand out a lot when placed next to the green. The stock graphics do a decent job of blending, but maybe that's because the tones seem to be quite yellow overall.

I think that preview looks like a good compromise. I figure yellow grass in Normandy is a mix of green/brown/yellow, more like a patch of grass that isn't doing well for some reason, rather than a parched swath of completely dead dry grass. It should blend in better with the hi-res green.

Fuser your last shot with yellow grass looks like my garden in the summer..so I think it looks about right to be honest. looks pretty realistic to me. When I get yellow patches of grass in the garden in the summer they do stand out from the green grass quiet starkly.

Also grass usually goes yellow aswell after alot of wear..so if you do the yellow version but have alot of dirt showing aswell to make it looked well trodden and worn down...think Wimbledon tennis when it's hot after a few matches on court. Wher eit's going the most bald it's normally yellow...

Oh and you where right it was the mud with patches of grass I was meant to ask about not the marsh. Though both look superb.

I had some troops before in a field with the wind blowing the tall grass...it looked alot to me like the amazing cinematography in the Thin Red Line when the wind was blowing the corn in the fields. Superb.

It 's a crying shame though that Doodaas (like tall grass) suddenly disappear as I feel my PC could easly render them quite abit further than it currently does. On the highest settings I get the furthest distance with them but it's still not far enough.

Finally will you be making a gridded HD version?