Running out of Memory?

Processor speed is definitely important, it's just not the main component in helping speed up the game. Ideally you need a combination of at least 2-4GB of fast ram (you meet this requirement already), a half decent cpu and a very decent graphics card. The graphics card is usually the single most effective component in speeding up games. HD speed does not come into it.

What cpu do you currently run? You should have something half decent with that spec.

Just to add, I have no major problems running the largest scenarios and I built myself a machine using an Intel i5 processor @ 4ghz, 8GB ram and a Nvidia 480. My machine is not the latest and greatest by any stretch of the imagination but it copes admirably largely due to the Nvidia graphics card. I run the game at the BEST settings with AF set to either 4x or 8x, which looks fabulous.

a half decent cpu and a very decent graphics card.

I have been reading equipment stuff about this game for awhile now. And I got the impression its other way around. You need a very decent CPU and a half decent graphics card. The GTX 400 series cards seem to work well. The 500 series is even better.

I have read the game runs off only one core of the CPU, so i get the feeling you need as big of CPU as you can afford.

The memory thing is weird, some of the people who have reported this problem have very healthy rigs. Not sure if its hardware related.

I have been reading equipment stuff about this game for awhile now. And I got the impression its other way around. You need a very decent CPU and a half decent graphics card. The GTX 400 series cards seem to work well. The 500 series is even better.

I have read the game runs off only one core of the CPU, so i get the feeling you need as big of CPU as you can afford.

The memory thing is weird, some of the people who have reported this problem have very healthy rigs. Not sure if its hardware related.

It's a contentious issue. I guess what we need to define is at exactly what point does the game represent 'slow'. I've been playing CM for as long as it's been around and in that time I have obviously upgraded my system. Don't get me wrong, you do need a decent cpu - but in my opinion this is not the be all and end all for a smooth game. I can play both Shock Force and Normandy on a ultra low voltage Intel laptop, running at a little under 2ghz. I have to turn everything down to the lowest settings but it works fine. The problem is the graphics. If you try running Normandy on an integrated chipset you will see my problem. This is what slows it down the most, post the 'calculation' stage. Obviously pre-calculation requires a decent enough processor in the first instance, but most new computers come with a processor powerful enough to run the game optimally.

Something else to consider also; the game runs smoother realtime than it does in WEGO which is another matter entirely.

Processor speed is definitely important, it's just not the main component in helping speed up the game. Ideally you need a combination of at least 2-4GB of fast ram (you meet this requirement already), a half decent cpu and a very decent graphics card. The graphics card is usually the single most effective component in speeding up games. HD speed does not come into it.

What cpu do you currently run? You should have something half decent with that spec.

Just to add, I have no major problems running the largest scenarios and I built myself a machine using an Intel i5 processor @ 4ghz, 8GB ram and a Nvidia 480. My machine is not the latest and greatest by any stretch of the imagination but it copes admirably largely due to the Nvidia graphics card. I run the game at the BEST settings with AF set to either 4x or 8x, which looks fabulous.

Sounds good. Have an ok video card... my chip is going to be upgraded this week. Presntly with a INtel R Pentium R D CPU 3.73. About 2 1/2 years old. Was looking at a i5 2500K 3.3 Ghz. Would that do the trick?

Sounds good. Have an ok video card... my chip is going to be upgraded this week. Presntly with a INtel R Pentium R D CPU 3.73. About 2 1/2 years old. Was looking at a i5 2500K 3.3 Ghz. Would that do the trick?

Yes, providing you have a motherboard that would accept this chip of course. The good thing about the i5's is the fact they overclock really well.

Something else to consider also; the game runs smoother realtime than it does in WEGO which is another matter entirely.

Could you please explain that? I had (have) the assupmtion that if anything Wego would be faster because calculation and representation are seperated. In RT everything is in, well, real time so a sudden demand in calculations would also slow down representation. Which in turn is noticeable to the user. This cannot happen in Wego - AFAIK at least.

Could you please explain that? I had (have) the assupmtion that if anything Wego would be faster because calculation and representation are seperated. In RT everything is in, well, real time so a sudden demand in calculations would also slow down representation. Which in turn is noticeable to the user. This cannot happen in Wego - AFAIK at least.

Myself and PJ Maybe were playing a RT game against each other. Once his reinforcements arrived the game slowed down dramatically then crashed.

I am guessing this was an out of memory problem too.

Myself and PJ Maybe were playing a RT game against each other. Once his reinforcements arrived the game slowed down dramatically then crashed.

I am guessing this was an out of memory problem too.

That could be associated to a memory leak. I was under the impression the memory leak was either fixed or was being looked into? (Maybe it was just WEGO that was fixed!)

Well in my experience of R/T scenarios they have been far smoother and more immediate. That said, I have only played the smaller missions ;) so that's probably why.

I think we also tend to lump things together based on the symptoms. I have a battle with Broadsword that at 32 minutes in suddenly would no longer complete the calculations phase in WeGo (HTH). We have been playing the game hth to avoid a couple concerns about pbem.

The turn in question may have had a FFE take affect so just to eliminate that we redid the turn canceling the artillery. I have gone back 4 turns and tried rerunning the game on my own (we are doing w/o passwords) to no effect. If I go all the way back to turn 2 and cancel all unit orders and put everyone in hide mode to prevent any activity I am able to get past the 32 minute mark. The force size is a weakened German infantry company w/ no armor or artillery vs 2 company Ami assault with some light tanks and a supporting artillery battery. The map is approx 500x500. The size of the battle and map are significantly smaller than what I have run previously so my assumption (yeah there goes that word) is the issue isn't memory per se but some interaction that is causing a problem with the calculations. The only real activity that had been occuring around the time of the event was a few mortar rounds and the called for artillery which had been spotting up until that point. The German units had been neither moving nor firing for a couple turns. It almost seems that if there is some particular combination that occurs during the calculations phase, it simply fails. Not sure if the folks at BFC have a way to watch the calculations phase compiling, but if so this one may be worth a look. If by some freak alignment of the stars I somehow seem to be even remotely close to understanding what is occuring, we could be chasing our tails on issues that are not necessarily memory related, but are getting lumped in with that as from a player perspective we have no visibility as to why the game is having a problem with any particular battle.

If anyone at BFC is interested we have all the saved turns.

Yes, and add in a 9800GTX video card or better and you´ll be fine.

BTW, out of memory might be caused by an out of date ATI graphics driver.

I'd just email the files along with a detailed description of the problem to phil at battlefront dot com

It's probably safe to assume he'd be interested in having a look since that's sorta his job ;)

Well, my job does involve quite a bit but that's not actually an official part of it. :) You're always welcome to PM or email me about the game, including bug reports and such, and I *will* do my best to see that your concerns are addressed, and make sure that you get a personal response. However I'm not the primary bug-reporting channel. (Which is good, as I've got mountains of other work to do.)

The primary channel would be these forums and our testers, and in the case of extreme problems with the game - licensing issues, or the game flat out not running for you, for instance - our help desk.

I always recommend posting your bug on the forums as a thread to generate discussion, including as much data as you can gather. Then drop me a line with your info (a link to the thread is always helpful) to make sure it gets to our attention in as many ways as possible.

I am currently trying to play a PBEM game on what seems to be a very small map with very few units. Normally I have no problems, even with larger scenarios yet this particular scenario continues to freeze up at the password screen before I can even put in my password. Does this sound like something that would happen with an out of memory error? The scenario designer says there are lots of flavor objects on the map and that may cause oom. I am playing on a laptop with an integrated chip, but I have never seen this problem before. Would too many flavor objects on a small map have that much effect?