2nd Armchair General video up!

I watched it yesterday. Wondering why he is playing on Warrior setting rather than Elite? Hell, he says he is a retired infantry officer, or maybe that explains it.

Perhaps it's just because on Warrior the enemy icons are not generic, so it is easier to show stuff on a video. There's no other difference, really.

I watched it yesterday. Wondering why he is playing on Warrior setting rather than Elite? Hell, he says he is a retired infantry officer, or maybe that explains it.

On Armchair he said that in his opinion Warrior gives the most realistic indirect fire delay times.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

Post 3.1

On Armchair he said that in his opinion Warrior gives the most realistic indirect fire delay times.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

Post 3.1

According to manual the difference between Warrior, Elite and Iron is only in the FOW rules, though. Artillery delays and time to give buddy aid are identical (manual p61). CMBN's Warrior is the same as CMSF's Elite, basically.

I got totally raped in that level by the German artillery!

How did he manage to arrive to the bridge untouched? When I sent my de-miners towards the bridge they got shot at by the arty and fleed.

Are you supposed to fire smoke shells from the start so that you hide your approach?

How did he manage to arrive to the bridge untouched? When I sent my de-miners towards the bridge they got shot at by the arty and fleed.

Are you supposed to fire smoke shells from the start so that you hide your approach?

Didn't he say that he used small recon forces to spot AT & MG's and then suppressed them with mortars and mg's?

He also uses smoke, clears the bridge with a small force then brings more fire power to bear before he crosses the bridge with his infantry in small leaps.

He also said do not bunch up your infantry and do not move all your infanatry and tanks at the same time. That way you have some moving whilst others are spotting and engaging targets.

Either way, i shall be having a go at that map using them tactics to see how do

Perhaps it's just because on Warrior the enemy icons are not generic, so it is easier to show stuff on a video. There's no other difference, really.

I meant to say Iron Level rather than Elite. I always play on Iron level because I thought that it has the most realistic settings (i.e. artillery support times, buddy-aid, etc..) However, after checking the Manual I see that you are correct. Seems that the primary difference in Iron is the way spotting works for Friendly units.

Didn't he say that he used small recon forces to spot AT & MG's and then suppressed them with mortars and mg's?

He also uses smoke, clears the bridge with a small force then brings more fire power to bear before he crosses the bridge with his infantry in small leaps.

He also said do not bunch up your infantry and do not move all your infanatry and tanks at the same time. That way you have some moving whilst others are spotting and engaging targets.

Either way, i shall be having a go at that map using them tactics to see how do

Yes he did but as soon as I move any of my units artillery barrage starts falling to where the movement is. I haven't divided my units though, maybe that is the cause.

Yes he did but as soon as I move any of my units artillery barrage starts falling to where the movement is. I haven't divided my units though, maybe that is the cause.

I'm sure he also said keep your infantry hidden till your ready to advance across the cleared bridge.

That way spotting by enemy arty is is kept to a minimum until your ready.

I'm sure he also said keep your infantry hidden till your ready to advance across the cleared bridge.

That way spotting by enemy arty is is kept to a minimum until your ready.

He sent one divided platoon to the bridge in order for the first enemy positions to be uncovered and had pioneers follow that platoon in order to destroy barbed wire and clear the mines. He managed to get to the bridge with those two groups without any bombs falling on them. In my case I get bombed before I manage to get to the bridge. Maybe I should have used the quick move order to negate the time needed for the enemy spotter and artillery to start firing on me?

What I forgot to do though is to mark all other units to be hidden - will do so next time I play it and see the results.

Also one another beginner question - how do you make an indirect order a smoke shell from the mortars or offmap artillery? I must be blind or something 'cos i don't see the command available to me.

Smoke screen has a major importance in this level and without it your men eat lead on the filed when hey start crossing the bridge...

Any help much appreciated.

Same here. My entire engineer platoon was wiped out near the bridge - they werent bunched up or anything. The Germans called in a very large barrage.

Shortly after, my assembly area was hit and my BN commander was killed along with an entire infantry platoon.

Also one another beginner question - how do you make an indirect order a smoke shell from the mortars or offmap artillery? I must be blind or something 'cos i don't see the command available to me.

Smoke screen has a major importance in this level and without it your men eat lead on the filed when hey start crossing the bridge...

During the fire call process you can pick Smoke from the options. It is at the bottom of the choice list inside the artillery call-in screen.

You also have to check to make sure there is smoke available.

He sent one divided platoon to the bridge in order for the first enemy positions to be uncovered and had pioneers follow that platoon in order to destroy barbed wire and clear the mines. He managed to get to the bridge with those two groups without any bombs falling on them. In my case I get bombed before I manage to get to the bridge. Maybe I should have used the quick move order to negate the time needed for the enemy spotter and artillery to start firing on me?

What I forgot to do though is to mark all other units to be hidden - will do so next time I play it and see the results.

The smoke screen question is best answered by one of the other guys, who have played the map. I haven't played this map yet, so do not know what is available in the set up.

From what i remember him saying... you should keep as much of your forces hidden as possible, make sure your mortars and mg's have clear lines of sight from the flanks.

Use scouts to reveal hidden enemy positions.When revealed suppress and destroy MG's and AT guns as a matter of urgency.

Use small force to recon and clear the barb wire on bridge, use smoke if available. When cleared lay down more smoke and cross bridge in quick but orderly fashion, keeping good distances between squads.

Don't forget he also used tanks to spot and suppress from the flanks any thing that popped up.

Let me know how you get on, i'm hoping tio have a bash at this tonight.

Same here. My entire engineer platoon was wiped out near the bridge - they werent bunched up or anything. The Germans called in a very large barrage.

Shortly after, my assembly area was hit and my BN commander was killed along with an entire infantry platoon.

If possible use very small amount of men to sneak/approach the barbwire and if available lay down smoke.

Try moving your forces up from the assembly area, the Germans may have that area zeroed in.

I'm no expert though, try to use the terrain to conceal your movement forward,spread your forces out, use smoke, suppress the enemy then move, are all your forces bunched at the set up zone? try to place your forces along the width of the map with MG's, Mortars, tanks, scout options on the flanks, maybe pioneers,engineers central etc..

anyone of you Grogs able to give more or better advice?

Thanx for the info - now I know where to get the smoke ;)

Should I position my mortars in this level in direct or indirect mission? I see that direct missions gets them fire very quickly but are also prone to be hit by enemy artillery.

Seems also that as soon as I put my tanks in the position first one of them gets hit by a AT gun and when the gun is dealth with my tanks get hit by the heavy German offmap artillery.

This level is really hard but now I'm making some progress. I opted to split one pioneer unit into two parts, send them quickly towards the bridge to blow up the fences and this did work. What I still don't know is how can pioneers search for the mines - is it automatic? I don't see them finding any mines while moving over the mined area.