2nd Armchair General video up!

Thanx for the info - now I know where to get the smoke ;)

Should I position my mortars in this level in direct or indirect mission? I see that direct missions gets them fire very quickly but are also prone to be hit by enemy artillery.

Seems also that as soon as I put my tanks in the position first one of them gets hit by a AT gun and when the gun is dealth with my tanks get hit by the heavy German offmap artillery.

This level is really hard but now I'm making some progress. I opted to split one pioneer unit into two parts, send them quickly towards the bridge to blow up the fences and this did work. What I still don't know is how can pioneers search for the mines - is it automatic? I don't see them finding any mines while moving over the mined area.

Best is direct fire, sneak your spotters up to good observation positions. Tanks getting hit straight away means you haven't spotted,suppressed and destroyed all the AT guns.

Keep tanks well back till you are happy that you have spotted,suppressed and destroyed all the AT guns.

Pioneers/engineers should be moved close to the area where you think the mines are..then the mark mines button will activate.

At that point your men need time to mark the mines, so keep them from being killed, wounded and suppressed by the enemy.

Finally made some progress - I would have secured all the objectives if the time wouldn't run out. I'll reply this level and try to be faster.

The trick is you need to carve a path through the hedges on the right so that your tanks can sneak towards the right part of the map where they don't endanger other units like mortar groups since when they get spotted bombs start to fall on them. On that rightmost ridge on the other hand bombs are not presenting a problem becauise you can spread out your tanks.

What I had a problem with is clearing the minefild - I think I don't know yet how to properly clear the minefield. 2 tanks lost their tracks due the mines just over the bridge.

Next time I play this level I'll split all my pioneer groups and send them over to the bridge . 2 groups will get rid of the obstacles while other groups will be clearing the mines (I hope I'll be able to figure out how to properly get rid of them) - all this under the cover of the smoke screen which I also need to master yet.

I thought he said the only way to detect mines is to trip over them. At that point then, the engineers can mark them. Is that correct?

Gerry

Yeah, engineers/pioneers can't mark the mines if mines don't go off. This sucks and should be "fixed" in the next patch.

Another option that I will also try is to clear the mines around the bridge by using a mortar fire.

Yeah, engineers/pioneers can't mark the mines if mines don't go off. This sucks and should be "fixed" in the next patch.

Another option that I will also try is to clear the mines around the bridge by using a mortar fire.

Hopefully, but we've been asking for this since CMSF if I remember rightly. So don't hold your breath.

Yeah, only 150" artillery is supposedly able to clear them out. Haven't got to any level where I could test that myself.

Anyway, I've practised and managed to get proficient in the mine clearing process. Detach a scout team, send them on the square where you know mines are and hope one of them triggers the mine (so crazy I know, hehe). Afterwards send the engineers and let them mark the mine field after which there are less kaa-boom events (here and there mines do go off when soldiers walk in the marked square which is realistic though).

I managed to send tanks over the bridge without getting them run over the mines and thus prevented any of them from getting immobilised.

Spoiler alert!

Have one engineer team blow up the barbed wire in front of the bridge (barb-wire at the centre). This blast will detonate also other mines (but usually one or two AP mines will still be there) which will allow your tanks to drive on the bridge without getting immobilised and thus preventing other tanks to cross the bridge. As soon as you drive over the bridge make a sharp right turn where there are no antitank mines. Proceed on the right side of the road and eb acrefull not to send your tanks to forward or you will lose them to panzerfausts.

I'm still having trouble in getting this level right namely in still having to learn how to synchronize the smoke screen, artillery shelling and infantry crossing the bridge so that the enemy is deprived of their overwhelming advantage.

Would appreciate a lot any tips you guys might give me...

Mines can actually be spotted without them being detonated. I’m positive that engineers moving slow over an area with mines can detect them without one going off. But its often some unlucky rifleman that sets them off in the first place.

Can someone else confirm this?

As for my unit measure yeah, I'm not familiar with Imperial metric system - was just trying to make my point, I believe everybody understood what I meant :P

Let's make it easy:

There are three “flavors” of minefields in the game: anti-personnel, anti-tank, and mixed (meaning: a mix

of both anti-personnel and anti-tank mines in the same field). Obviously, anti-personnel mines are

meant to harm infantry primarily, while anti-tank mines are usually bigger and pack more punch, and

are intended to disable or at least immobilize vehicles and tanks.

Note: Anti-tank mines cannot be set off by infantry on foot,

but anti-personnel mines can be set off by vehicles.

Troops moving through minefields have some ability to notice the mines without exploding them. This is

much more likely when:

.......................................... - The soldiers are crawling or walking (and to a lesser extent, “hunting”)

.......................................... - The soldiers are engineers

.......................................... - The soldiers are experienced

.......................................... - The minefield has already been discovered (e.g. by setting off a mine)

Engineers have the ability to mark known minefields. After a minefield is marked by an engineer unit,

othr units may safely (but slowly) move through it without running the risk of setting off additional

mines. See the Mark Mines command in the Command chapter for more details.

The CM AI does not always tell the units to avoid the marked minefield - they can be ordered across it. And instead of the safe routes thru the minefield you would think the engineers would have provided, your units can still be blown up.

It's an irritation of the CMBN system.