Area firing at tall things

So I can't area fire at that tall buliding because there is a wall obscuring the lower storey or two. Top floors are obviously visible but I guess this is just the way it works.

But then the guys on the top floor reveal themselves and my lot start shooting (because they have an obvious line of sight).

Guys on top floor disappear as they have had enough. Probably just cowering. So time to give them some more firepower.

Except I can't as I can't area fire the building.

Now that's irritating.

This was true in CMSF.

Area fire can only be targeted at Action Spots. A building has more action spots than open ground, but not every window or door is an action spot. This problem occurs when an obstacle obstructs your unit's view of the desired action spot. The enemy then pops up from in a window. He shoots at you.

Remember... If the enemy is in LOS, you CAN shoot at him. The problem gets annoying when that enemy ducks down. Now, you don't have LOS to the enemy, nor do you have LOS to the action spot. You cannot fire at his location. Grrrr.

However, this should only occur when the building's action spot is obscured by an obstacle to the SIDE.

Are you saying that you can see the entire, say, 3rd floor of a building but cannot fire at the 3rd floor because there is an LOS obstacle blocking your view of the 1st and 2nd floors?

That would be a new issue.

If you can see the entire width of a floor, then you should be able to draw an LOS to the action spot...

Hmm, unless the LOF is drawn to the inside of a large building... Then the LOS line would intersect the building facade LOWER than the targeted floor. Is this what is occurring?

See my cool picture:

F4

X3

F2

F1__________|___Y

Y is shooting at X3. The LOS line gets blocked by wall | because the line goes to the LEFT of the X, causing it to enter the building somewhere on F2? The | blocks LOS to any portion of F2.

Is this the condition?

Ken

Remember... If the enemy is in LOS, you CAN shoot at him. The problem gets annoying when that enemy ducks down. Now, you don't have LOS to the enemy, nor do you have LOS to the action spot. You cannot fire at his location. Grrrr.

Well this is pretty much it. As as far I can see with the naked eye, they can easily see the floor in question (probably the third, I think). The wall is blocking to two floors below. However, when I tried to get area fire on it, everyone's LOS is apparently blocked.

Then (without any movement from my guys) the occupants on the third floor open fire and are spotted by the units that were trying to area fire it. They (several infantry units and an AFV) all start firing at the occupants even though they apparently didn't have an LOS a moment ago.

Then the occupants duck down so everyone stops shooting. So I try to area fire again but, again, they apparently have no LOS even though they were happily firing on the occupants a moment earlier.

Is it really that uncommon? I'm often frustrated by odd LOS issues with buildings. Bringing arty down on buildings seems more problematic than it should be. If you can see the building, surely you should be able to call arty on it? Can't see why (IRL) you'd need to see the ground its built on.

I assume it is, as you say, an AS issue. Just a bit annoying really.

(Well actually very annoying, if I'm honest. Hope its something they can sort out)

I've had this problem. If you can't see the middle (action square?) of the ground floor of the building, you can't area fire at it. I don't have a situation like that right now, but I've definitely seen it... I thought we had an answer on this one from BFC like "yep, it's because LOS is calculated to the base of things". I could be mistaken, but that's what I remember....

GaJ

I think the upper floor issue MAY be caused by something which may be seen in this diagram.

|3___X___e|

|2________|

|1________|_______|_f

Friendly unit, "f" is behind an obstacle. Enemy unit, "e", is known to be on the 3rd floor of a building, but is out of LOS. If enemy unit "e" pops up, then "f" can see them and shoot them. However, since "e" is hiding (or suppressed, etc.), then "f" has no option but to area fire at the third floor. Unfortunately, the action spot for the third floor is located at "X".

Drawing a straight line from "f" to "X" intersects the obstacle in front of "f". That blocks "f"'s ability to TARGET "X". Drawing a straight line from "f" to "e" (where enemy unit "e" is known to be hiding) clears the low obstacle in front of "f". The game algorithm prevents LOF to that location unless an enemy unit is visible.

So, although all the 3rd floor windows are visible, friendly unit "f" cannot area target any of the windows.

Do I have it correct?

I've had this problem. If you can't see the middle (action square?) of the ground floor of the building, you can't area fire at it. I don't have a situation like that right now, but I've definitely seen it... I thought we had an answer on this one from BFC like "yep, it's because LOS is calculated to the base of things". I could be mistaken, but that's what I remember....

GaJ

No, it is as c3k outlines above. If you can't trace a line from your unit to the the middle of the action spot of the floor you want to target because of an intervening obstacle, you can't area target that floor. This only occurs in very limited circumstances.