[WIP] Helmand Project

Started work on a map set in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, but trying to make the terrain fit was problematic and I felt more it would make more sense to focus on the terrain before the map. I hope that this may eventually help others with ongoing Afghanistan projects, and could perhaps be incorporated into a "total conversion" with new troop textures, etc. This includes some new textures and some reworked CMSF and CMA textures.

town1-1.jpg

New building textures including whitewash over brick and stone, brick and mud brick. New window trim, including an option for no window trim. "Long window" in mud brick buildings restyled as corrugated metal shutter. Recolored mud brick wall texture from "Satan."

ploughedfields2.jpg

Newly ploughed and newly planted fields incorporating new grass, dirt lot and dirt road textures. Dirt road forms furrows. "Dry" summer trees along margins.

ploughedfields1-1.jpg

Variations on ploughed fields and grain in rows alongside a dry grass field. Irrigation ditches formed from trenches and mud.

cinderblock1.jpg

Cinder block building, irrigation canal and restyled gravel road.

poppyfield1.jpg

Optional poppy field texture with adobe compound in background.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful work, and very authentic!!!!!!

I am still hoping that once CM:N is out, BFC/Snowball sees the good business sense in harvesting CM:A as a cash cow and offering a subset of that game as a bolt-on module to CMSF so that those who want to make and play scenarios for the current Afghan War (or Chechnya) can do so using the CMA textures and functionality (water, snow, Muj faces/TOE, etc.). They can always remove some Russian units if they are dead set against having 1980s Red Army / ANA fighting contemporary NATO forces, although I'd leave it in -- what's the harm?

Thank you for the compliments. ETA is undetermined as I have yet to settle on scope. The project could potentially expand to include accurate foliage, new UNCON skins and possibly ANA/ANP skins for Syrian army units, some replaced vehicle skins, new skybox textures, and some reskinned flavor objects (especially road signs). Unfortunately, much of that is probably beyond my means and would require a community effort.

Regarding CM:A, I do plan to extend the project there as well, but I want to finish the CMSF content first, and even then I am hesitant as I think people would expect replacement textures to work for existing scenarios. This is more difficult to achieve, especially with the buildings. In some cases there is no existing analog for the building textures and the new textures can look very out of place when dropped into an already made scenario.

Just curious: are there any truly "historical" scenarios out there at present that use CMSF? (I exclude CM:A)

Obviously there wouldn't be any from the fictional Syria war, but has anyone covered any well-documented historical actions from either OIF-I/II (Iraq) or Afghanistan (2001-)?

ISTR there were some Chechen and Balkan war scenarios out there, but how "true to life" were these in accurately representing the tactical situation, terrain and forces involved?

Basically, I'm looking for the CMSF equivalents of Villers Bocage, Kommerscheidt or Stavelot/Stoumont (i.e. a well-documented historical action painstakingly recreated in detail using the game engine). Any leads?

Just curious: are there any truly "historical" scenarios out there at present that use CMSF? (I exclude CM:A)

Obviously there wouldn't be any from the fictional Syria war, but has anyone covered any well-documented historical actions from either OIF-I/II (Iraq) or Afghanistan (2001-)?

ISTR there were some Chechen and Balkan war scenarios out there, but how "true to life" were these in accurately representing the tactical situation, terrain and forces involved?

Basically, I'm looking for the CMSF equivalents of Villers Bocage, Kommerscheidt or Stavelot/Stoumont (i.e. a well-documented historical action painstakingly recreated in detail using the game engine). Any leads?

Im about to release a mission base circa 2008-2009, so be on the look out :)

based on operation Marlin.

The mision includes an accurate TOE or OOB (or as acurate as I can make it) acurate map and deployments.

ofcourse I cant add the exact number of taliban or Simulate complete Taliban tactics, apart from the fact that TONS more OPFOR will die than actually did but I did my best (not a very good one :P) to recreate the operation

if you guys want I can post a couple of pics later on :)

cheers!

Operation Marlin

Overview of the Map

cmshockforce20110109151.jpg

5 Troop, 42 Commando Royal Marines 500m north of HLS Bratislava

Commando Recce Force Securing emergency HLS

4 & 6 Troop + Command elements + Fire Support Group at HLS Prague

The mission : Objective Marlin (pardon the typing errors)