Air Power

In CMC, there is an airpower rating for the scenario (i.e. how many air assets are available in this region) and also an air superiority rating (Ranging from German Supremacy, through German Superiority, Contested to Russian Superiority and Supremacy).

These factors (which can change through time), along with the time of day and weather situation, determine the chance of aircraft arriving to help out in battle situations.

This makes for some interesting decisions for the player. If the airpower is against me, should I wait for overcast weather before making an assault? Or perhaps attack at night (with all the problems that brings). If you have anti-air assets,you should definitely make sure they are shadowing your major force concentrations, so there is a chance of shooting-off any interdictions.

And before you ask, at this stage, there are no 'player controlled interdictions / strikes' at the campaign level. This is something we are thinking about for a later revision. When you think about it, the way air forces worked, the ground commander very often had little control of them anyway.

Hunter

Originally posted by Sergei:

Very nice.

Can a vehicle column also be interdicted while road marching behind the frontline (if the enemy has air supremacy)? As in, without a CMBB battle launched?

Hopefully so. Thats about the only way I'd like to see airpower influence things in CMC, since actual tactical air support for troops involved in close range, small arms combat was not very common.

Originally posted by Hunter:

When you think about it, the way air forces worked, the ground commander very often had little control of them anyway.

I thought that later on in ww2 there were many developments between ground commanders and tactical air strike fighters. I seem to remember something about fighters queing up in the air awaiting targeting commands as and when required by ground forces ?

Scott

Originally posted by scottie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hunter:

When you think about it, the way air forces worked, the ground commander very often had little control of them anyway.

I thought that later on in ww2 there were many developments between ground commanders and tactical air strike fighters. I seem to remember something about fighters queing up in the air awaiting targeting commands as and when required by ground forces ?

Scott </font>

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Hm, does that means there are just the "classic" CMBB planes flying around, attacking their own westwards advancing tanks when their friendly side is East?

I really hope this got tuned a little.

I assume that's because the airplane AI can't see anything else. I wonder if sending some poor fool out to draw fire helps the AI find better targets?

Im just happy CMC is around the corner, no matter what holes we can pick in the logic. CMx1 versions have needed campaigns from the start IMO.

.... so when will CMC be integrated with Strategic Command smile.gif

Theatre to Army Group to Army/Corp to Division to Regiment to Battlegroup/"Manoeuvre Element" to Battalion, Company, Platoon, Squad drill down ... now thats a war game smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

• 2 weeks later...