Your greatest or flukiest combat unit

Just interested, who has had a unit that would deserve a stack of medals for their combat actions that you would like to mention. The weaker the unit, with less experience versus greater number of more seasoned opponents the better... and the unit must have survived to collect their awards smile.gif

Ill start. Regular Fusiler SMG, 41 inf + 1 mortar with no casualties.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hedgehog:

It would have to be my opponents heavy mg42 crew that took out my sherman mark III or V. One squirt of lead and next thing you know my sherman is knocked out. I asked my opponent what got that Sherman and he verified the MG crew got it :( <hr></blockquote>

I think it's impossible for a machine gun to knock out a Sherman. Your opponent is probably pulling your leg.

57mm Allied AT gun in a TCP game. Took out 4 PzIV's, 1 Tiger and rounded out the day with a few infantry kills before running out of HE. Had to push it up a hill to get the 4th PzIV and back down the hill just in time to nab the Tiger. No casualties for the AT crew!

Alright suckas, I've got a good one for ya...I had an uncommanded veteran bazooka take out three fast-moving SPW/1 HTs at about 60 meters in less than 30 seconds. Against Fionn. I don't remember if he survived or not, but he definitely lost his loader, at least.

Also in a different game, had a supported bazooka miss a Puma at close range several times, then notice a King Tiger moving away at about 180+ meters. What a lob it required, but the second shot sent the thing to hell in a fiery explosion! Then he turned back to the reversing Puma and bagged it too, all within the same turn. Both team members survived and are currently headed for the rear, out of shells.

Those were some of the most exciting single battle actions by one of my units, but I feel that the real heroes are usually the outgunned, isolated ones that hold important ground "until the cavalry arrives". They are the ones I decorate.

That must be my Cromwell IV that knocked out 1 Pz IVJ, 1 King Tiger, 1 Jagdpanther, 1 Panther A, 1 StuG IV and 12 infantry (mainly tank crews) in a TCP/IP game. That one was a real hoot and since then I have loved those fast Cromwells, I have pictoral evidence to prove it as well. smile.gif

Sgt Cheung in his Hellcat

Took out something like 15 AFVs including Tigers, Jagdpanzer, a Nashorn and numerous HTs and infantry held up an entire column single handed until my reinforcements could shoot it up from the flank. Had to retire from the battlefield when he ran out of ammo.

Sent a Pershing on a long route behind a Tiger. Ran a zook team and a depleted infantry squad the other way to distract it. Just as the Pershing broke cover the Tiger went boom. Rewound, assuming zook had got a lucky shot, but the infantry team had decided to close assault. Watched the zook round arc gracefully over the turret just as the little brown package arrived. Sweet. Won't talk about the Crack Fallshirmjager (7 men left, OK status, in command) squad who assaulted a knocked out 25pdr crew who'd fled into a building and were KO'd to a man without causing a casualty. Sour.

Hrm. Maybe not as extreme, but I had a split Ami rifle squad and its platoon HQ get a combined 34 confirmed kills fending off the brunt of a German assault at close range (34 was also the total size of the destroyed German units which had their final casualty in that building).

The HQ eventually was wiped out, but the split squad, which took two casualties and inflicted some 23 of the 34, never even broke under all the incoming fire (no exclamation point). Must have been fanatical...

Once had a 'zook dashing for some unoccupied (I thought) woods, which turned out to be hiding a 50mm AT gun. The gun couldn't pivot fast enough to track the team (which was within 20m or so when the gun opened fire), and the zook's final waypoint was IN the gun's foxhole. It engaged the crew in hand-to-hand combat and inflicted a casualty (yes, by hand-to-hand combat--I guess luggin' them heavy rockets around is good exercise!). The next turn, the 'zook fired a rocket from 2m away and KOed the gun, then captured the surviving crew. Never hand another AT team get prisoners...

Agua Perdido

I played Kitty in a game in which I said "any type, game any, side" and she gave me green Poles against vet German armor. I had a Piat hidden in a building that took out 2 tanks......she was pretty pissed and accused me of cheating...then I became beligerent and rude and she blocked my emails.

It seems that just about any unit can engage in fierce hand-to-hand fighting, which is absolutely righteous. I just had an isolated PIAT kill the last two men of a Fallschirmjager squad that rushed his bungalow. No shells were fired, it was all knives to the gut, and the PIAT ended up untouched.

And then there is the story I never get tired of telling...that of the halftrack crew headed up by Corporal Mace...

Current PBEM game.

I've got a zook in the hedgerows, less than 50m smile.gif from 3, count 'em, 3 Stugs parked wheel to wheel while they conduct 'urban renewal ops' on one of my occupied buildings.

What does my hero do? Fires 5 shots, missing all 5 without being fired on in return.

:eek: :mad:

Naturally, the Stugs, now fully awake to the threat, proceed to turn in the zook's direction, and eliminate him.

To paraphrase Admiral Jellicoe...there seems to be something wrong with my bloody zooks today. ;)

I once had a Dalmier taking out Panthers from about 500m. He kept getting side turret hits against the Panthers. He ended up nabbing 6 Panthers and about 8 other less armored AFVs before running out of AP.

He got brewed up by one of the remaining Panthers in one of the very last turns. Guess the AI wanted a little payback for that mess. :D