Better Load Times

Another plus from BFC's rework of CMSF2 appears to be much faster load times.  I haven't tested it a lot, but so far loading the game and loading individual battles both have improved vastly over, say, CMBN or old CMSF for that matter.  

(AMD Opteron 2.2 Gig processor; 64 bit; 32 gig RAM; Nividia GTX950; Windows 10)

I loaded up the original Task Force Thunder... the old "breaking the berm" scenario takes less than 30 seconds to load up & turn processing speeds are less than two seconds.

Even with Kieme's HD mods, "movie mode" & a bit of reshade my fps is a smooth 30 frames per second (capped*).

The performance is light years ahead of the old CMSF1.

*The half adaptive refresh rate on my graphics card profile.

CMSF, even version 2, generally has far less complex maps than the later games - even with the changes, there isn't anything like the topological complexity of some of the CMFB maps. Unit density is also usually much lower, and the maps are frequently smaller (since the originals were much more limited in size, and a lot of the changes are either not changing map size, or extending them a little).

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the major contributor really. 

What I *have* noticed is that the weird extra in-game slowdown that the CMSF 2 trees seemed to cause in the demo seems to be gone, which is very good news.

5 hours ago, peter thomas said:

Must be related to the install size. Smallest ever install. 4GB, plus half a gig in the documents folder. How come a 4 module pack takes up only 4GB when CMFB, for example, takes up 14GB?? I wish they were all this small, then I wouldn't have to choose which 2 I could afford to put on the SSD. 

Answered in another thread by Steve, has to do with CMFB covering multiple seasons, you have artwork for regular, muddy and snow conditions winter uniforms etc. if you really want it smaller it would mean CMFB only having snow condition and winter clothing battles. Be careful what you wish for. 

CMSF2 can give you dense urban areas, water, bridges,  huge maps and numerous trees.  What is doesn't have is those dense European forests that require a lot of difficult calculations for LOS. I recall when I first moved from CMSF1 to initial release CMBN I took a monster framerate hit because of all of the dense, close, LOS-blocking foliage on the maps. CMBN (and the other titles) have become very much faster using the current V4 game engine, CMSF2 is reaping the benefits as well.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, domfluff said:

What I *have* noticed is that the weird extra in-game slowdown that the CMSF 2 trees seemed to cause in the demo seems to be gone, which is very good news.

I thought that initially however I realize now, that because I has uninstalled the Demo, the improved result I was seeing was because the CMSF2 game had no graphics card profile.

When I later gave CMSF2, the game, a graphics card profile the "tree foilage issue" reappeared with vigour.

So currently CMSF2 is the only BFC title/demo I have without a graphics card profile... I have no idea what setting is causing the issue but, seeing as how the whole point of the graphics card profiles was to allow a smoother game, it kinda shows just how well optimized CMSF2 actually is.

Even after saying this... it should be noted that CMSF2 engine 4 tree's are still definitely far more memory intensive than, say, CMRT engine 3 tree's.

Because of this I've been playing around with a mod to reduce the foilage... my experiments seem to have had some positive results so far.