"Hunt" Command a bit unsensitive

Hi guys!

I just tested the v4.0 upgrade on my CMFB installation (Yay, CMFB works again thanks to upgrade!) and found the hunt command to be quite unresponsive compared with the behaviour in older versions. In fact, infantry units don't respond to enemy small arms fire until they are directly targeted or take casualties. This also goes for infantry units that actually take supression!

I wonder if this is sort of a bug, or if the BF guys changed the responsiveness and overdid it unintentionally?

Besides this rather small problem: upgrade 4.0 rocks!:wub:

Cheers

Morbo

I cannot recall anyone walking a Hunt waypoint path ever not stopping once they've spotted the enemy. Not diving for it when rounds are incoming may instead be a function of 'motivation'. An elite fanatical unit won't crack. A green unit with low morale who is out of command contact is hard to keep moving forward at all.

It's not working correctly for sure. Currently playing "Chaos @ Ferme Diedenhove" as the Germans. Sending my crack platoons from the 4th battalions starting point westward into the woods to investigate the 3 buildings deep in the wood. 2 platoons on combined hunt exercise soon spot American troops rushing southward (perpendicular to my troops) towards the Ferme complex on an unimproved dirt pathway that leads to and from the 3 buildings my troops were sent to reconnoiter by fire. My crack platoons never open fire or hit the deck. In fact they keep on hunting westward. The spotted American troops moving quickly to reinforce the Ferme complex, that my Stug's are attacking, open fire on the run and amazingly inflict a good deal of casualties to one of my platoons. Did my affected platoon or the nearby non-affected platoon hit the deck and return fire or event try to help the wounded? Nope they kept on hunting westward. 4.0 has made them legally blind and hard of hearing. My crack platoons are equipped with "Helen Keller" clones.

This is not the only time I've entered this in this game but also in the other 4.0 upgraded games too.

On 18.1.2017 at 1:02 PM, IanL said:

This might be the first time anyone complained that hunt was too insensitive. :) I am not aware of any changes to that and I cannot say I noticed any differences but on the flip side I am not a big hunt command user either.

It was a bit too sensitive in the past, yes. There must have been a change, look at my description below.

On 20.1.2017 at 6:31 PM, Sailor Malan2 said:

I am all for Hunt being insensitive. It used to be almost useless once combat started somewhere on the map. One of the key things they teach troops is to tell the difference between dangerous and non-dangerous fire, as going to ground at the first distant 'bang' is a key issue with loss of momentum/delay. 

I am talking of "regular" and "veteran" units with normal morale that take incoming MG42 fire from a location 100m away and passing withing 1m of airspace keep on hunting until hit.

I think it's a misconception that elite and fanatical units shouldn't go to ground when fired upon or when artillery is incoming. Actually I would expect elite troops to get down much faster than regular troops.

Fanatics are not necessarily stupid either, they just never surrender and never pull back. They should still take cover, unless given a direct firing order. Or unless we're talking about religious fanatics who actually want to die.

Edited by Bulletpoint

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:14 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Fanatics are not necessarily stupid either, they just never surrender and never pull back. They should still take cover, unless given a direct firing order. Or unless we're talking about religious fanatics who actually want to die.

Well in the spirit of bumping threads that don't consist of feces flinging and screeching; @Bulletpoint basically sums up the great debate about how to define the soft factors. BF offered their own views on them in the early manuals, if I recall, but what a 'fanatic' describes can mean two very different things to two different map makers.

That being said, motivation doesn't relate to competency in game, and I always thought unit skill deals with how quickly they discover contact rather than how they react. A move to contact is a move to contact.

• 2 weeks later...

Use scouts. That is why scouts are for harder for enemy to find. It works fine, it's just the skill of the soldiers and whether you pause while hunting to locate the enemy first. Who is in the best cover, who has the higher ground and greatest numbers also.

Edited by user1000

The best designers provide specialized units with factors that encourage the player to use them for their specialized purposes.  Eg;  Make snipers Crack or Elite and Recon and Engineer units at least one level more experienced than the other troops. 

Otherwise there is a temptation to use all units in an interchangeable manner - like using Recon troops and/or Engineers as weaker regular infantry.