[Preview] Community Scenario Pack - The Battle of Arracourt

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2019 at 9:12 PM, ncc1701e said:

Hello, I was looking for Dompaire or Arracourt battle and found this thread. Was it released? I am perhaps doing the wrong search in FGM site.

Apologies the community project came to a halt following real life interuptions. (Mainly on my side). All the files/research etc is still here on my computer so nothing is fully lost. :) Maybe one day.

10 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Do you want to take over lead? :)

No.  😯  I lack your extensive scenario design experience and cannot provide effective leadership.  😞

I am willing to continue helping with maps even though it's been almost two years since doing Luneville.  😲

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Good question, I hadn't seen this before.  There were some useful folk involved, guess RL just got in the way at the time.  @Ithikial_AU is currently a little busy on something else but perhaps one day this could be resurrected?

I still have all the files. :)  But yes this lost support and my workload increased about half way through development.

2 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I still have all the files. :)  But yes this lost support and my workload increased about half way through development.

Thanks for your responses fellas!

If you are all hands-on with the Cotentin Peninsula campaign and Arracourt is left for dead, are you willing to make public the material that was completed for it? In fact, I'm not so much interested in any completed scenarios or OOB/TOEs, it's rather scenario maps, or even better a master map, that I could get my hands on for my own campaign idea I've been chipping away at. For all kinds of reasons I suspect that the Arracourt encounters are very well suited.

I could go as far as to give my word to keep any material supplied, strictly for my private use ONLY, if this solicits a kind share 🙂  

17 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

If you are all hands-on with the Cotentin Peninsula campaign and Arracourt is left for dead, are you willing to make public the material that was completed for it? In fact, I'm not so much interested in any completed scenarios or OOB/TOEs, it's rather scenario maps, or even better a master map, that I could get my hands on for my own campaign idea I've been chipping away at. For all kinds of reasons I suspect that the Arracourt encounters are very well suited.

I could go as far as to give my word to keep any material supplied, strictly for my private use ONLY, if this solicits a kind share 🙂  

The maps weren't complete from memory but this is going back years so I'd have to check. :) 

10 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Please find attached the master map for Juvelize, which I did in 2017. Can't believe this is now already six years ago 😉.

If you can make use of it, please feel free and go ahead, better than it just sitting on my hard drive.

For the other maps, I can still see them in our dropbox for the project, but I leave it to @Ithikial_AU or the respective map makers to release them as they see fit.

Arracourt Juvelize.btt

4 minutes ago, Mad Mike said:

Please find attached the master map for Juvelize, which I did in 2017. Can't believe this is now already six years ago 😉.

If you can make use of it, please feel free and go ahead, better than it just sitting on my hard drive.

For the other maps, I can still see them in our dropbox for the project, but I leave it to @Ithikial_AU or the respective map makers to release them as they see fit.

Arracourt Juvelize.btt 367.81 kB · 0 downloads

Amazing - thank you so much! I promise to credit you all. 

56 minutes ago, Mad Mike said:

Arracourt Juvelize.btt 367.81 kB · 1 download

I had to drop it years ago from this end. If you still have access just share the folder. From memory (and judging by what I have on my side) should be a few 100 mb of research and files there if someone wants to take it over. :)

1 hour ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I had to drop it years ago from this end. If you still have access just share the folder. From memory (and judging by what I have on my side) should be a few 100 mb of research and files there if someone wants to take it over. :)

That would be amazing, if someone could provide a link and then I can copy everything to my dropbox, thank you loads...

@Mad Mike I tried opening the Juvelize.btt in the editor and there's something not compatible that prevents the file from opening, so no info shows in the editor. If it's the same on your end then I guess this file is beyond resurrection unfortunately. From experience it tends to be a unit chosen in the ToE that had a code change under later game engines, so perhaps this file had units selected? In which case do you just have the map file without units, perhaps the map just stored as a back up?  

Edited by The Steppenwulf

15 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

That would be amazing, if someone could provide a link and then I can copy everything to my dropbox, thank you loads...

@Mad Mike I tried opening the Juvelize.btt in the editor and there's something not compatible that prevents the file from opening, so no info shows in the editor. If it's the same on your end then I guess this file is beyond resurrection unfortunately. From experience it tends to be a unit chosen in the ToE that had a code change under later game engines, so perhaps this file had units selected? In which case do you just have the map file without units, perhaps the map just stored as a back up?  

Strange, I checked it and did some last minute tweaks before sharing it here, so it definitely works for me now. It's saved with the latest CBMN v4.04, maybe that could be an issue on your side?

Or it was the forum upload that got corrupted. I've attached a zipped version, maybe that will work better.

Anyway, later tonight I will have a look of sharing the dropbox with you. You can already PM me your email address, if you like.

Arracourt Juvelize.zip

1 hour ago, The Steppenwulf said:
2 hours ago, Mad Mike said:

It's saved with the latest CBMN v4.04, maybe that could be an issue on your side?

You are quite right, this will be the issue. 

PM sent

I can confirm that it opens okay for me in v4.04 (BFC).  Both as a battle (but with only a kubelwagen 😂) and as a map in the editor.

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I can confirm that it opens okay for me in v4.04 (BFC).  Both as a battle (but with only a kubelwagen 😂) and as a map in the editor.

Yeah, so that you have plenty of room for manoeuvering your troops.. 😁

Seriously though, I never attempted to create the battle for this, as it would be quite a significant task and this would have been my first try. Way too complicated for that, so the hope was somebody else from the team could complete it - which obviously never happened.

I just recently started developing a Lorraine project of my own so I'll be following this thread with interest. My intent is to keep them medium size and under, so just cherry picking certain moments from the campaign using historical mapping and OOB's whenever possible. 

My first scenario, only in it's embryonic map making stage (as I learn this new editor) will cover the remnants of Pz Bde 106 trying to extricate themselves from their predicament near Mairy, France (working title: The wind cries Mairy). Others on my tentative list will be small-medium actions at Gremecy woods, Luneville, Pont-á-Mousson, Dieulouard bridgehead, and others. Hopefully at least a few of them come to fruition.

2 hours ago, Mad Mike said:

somebody else from the team

Looking at the files and the background work, a lot of great work was done by everyone involved.  It would be great to get it out of the door, but as a novice with the editor that's easy for me to say 😬.

I had a Juvelize scenario going back in the day with a historical OOB. Panzer Brigade attacking up the road towards the town and only a cavalry group with bazookas and M8 HMC's in the way. Though M18 Hellcats do arrive as reserves to take on the wave of Panthers. The problem was the German infantry. They didn't have any transport and to speak of and relied riding on the back of the Panthers to get anywhere. CMBN doesn't have tank riders. The map also had to be this big to give the US side enough time to lay ambushes etc. The German infantry could never get across the map in time. Couldn't get the scenario to work.

Just remember the Panzer Brigades in the Lorraine were the "2nd Wave" (you could argue 3rd wave but that's a longer story...), so they were organised around standard Panzer Battalion (panther) and Armoured Panzergrenadier lines. Sorry no fun toys like the Sd.Kfz. 251/21 with the Panzergrenadiers this time. :D