[Preview] Community Scenario Pack - The Battle of Arracourt

1 hour ago, Ithikial_AU said:

The mantlet tactic was widely used once the Panther exploit was discovered and it's good to see the game take that into account. One problem though is the Panzer Brigades were kitted out with the latest production run of Panthers that came off the factory floor in August, so we're talking Pz V Ausf G's in these battles. I think the mantlet flaw were resolved to some extent by then.

I think you're thinking of the Panther mantlet shot trap issue? But I was talking about the mantled being penetrated straight on.

Glad you're looking forward to it.

21 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I also like the attention to historical accuracy. I agree that not every scenario needs to be extremely challenging for the sake of challenging. In fact, many times I prefer a battle to be as historically accurate/realistic as possible, because I like seeing it all play out more than I like playing someones cleverly designed puzzle. Even if one side has the clear advantage. 

That's definitely the thought process behind the 20th of September scenarios; besides a full tank battalion attack in the European Theater that wasn't compartmentalized because of terrain is exceedingly rare: The experience enough should be unique, and a lot of guys around these forums don't strike me as 'tread heads.' There's only a handful of significant scenarios that really spring to my mind immediately that are anything like this - and most of them center around actions near St. Vith or the Moder River area in Alsace, exclusive of the British experience around Caen. To those who don't have Myles patience it might be a challenge in command and control, and with the AI plans sorted out it might be a straight tactical challenge as well, but no spoilers - we'll save those for the AAR.

Edited by Rinaldi

20 minutes ago, jonPhillips said:

One of my favourite ASL experiences was an Arracourt campaign game that (amongst many excellent things) featured Hellcats vs Panthers. I'd love to fight these battles using CM - any idea on a potential release date yet?

Sadly no. Personally I'm again bogged down in unexpected work straight after Christmas for a little bit. Rinaldi is by far the most advanced out of all of us however and I think is putting together a bit of a preview. The desperate defense by the Hellcats of the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion is definitely on the list of scenarios. The September 19th main engagement that features two platoons of Hellcats and anything the Americans can muster against the advancing 40 odd Panthers in the fog is perhaps the 'big fancy' once of the pack. Not to mention a likely challenge / sheer terror for the poor tanker Pixeltruppen.

11 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Interesting. I still hope somebody will come up with a new version of those nice Alsace-Lorraine buildings we had for CMAK.

If there are any modders / artists out there who can do this and want to pitch in please contact me. :) We've already got some modtagged uniforms for the 4th Armored Division troops / tank crews we plan to include with the package. (Pending the thumbs up from the modders themselves).

One word of warning though is you'll probably have to commit to reviewing all of the buildings textures. We have a few villages and even part of the city of Luneville to map out so it's safe to say we'll be using all of the buildings at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 3:47 PM, jonPhillips said:

One of my favourite ASL experiences was an Arracourt campaign game that (amongst many excellent things) featured Hellcats vs Panthers. I'd love to fight these battles using CM - any idea on a potential release date yet?

Similar for me, one of my first wargames was Panzer '44 from SPI, featuring many of the Arracourt battles as scenarios. I bought it around '79 and still like it, though it has a really old concept.

Phantastic project, gentlemen. Actually, I am just playtesting some deviation scenario of the Ley attack, designed by DasMorbo.

13 hours ago, hank24 said:

Similar for me, one of my first wargames was Panzer '44 from SPI, featuring many of the Arracourt battles as scenarios. I bought it around '79 and still like it, though it has a really old concept.

Phantastic project, gentlemen. Actually, I am just playtesting some deviation scenario of the Ley attack, designed by DasMorbo.

Cheers Hank, and thank you for that Topo map link in the other thread. I'm glad @DasMorbo went ahead with the H2H modification. His constructive criticisms basically helped me finalize (and greatly expand) the Ley-Moncourt map.

Speaking of which, if you're curious the long-promised preview AAR can be seen here - and I will be updating it tonight.

Edited by Rinaldi
Topo map link added

• 1 month later...

Mad Mike here, I'm responsible for the map and scenario of the fighting around Juvelize on September 22nd 1944.

The map is quite finished now (maybe some small touches here or there, but nothing major).
So I've decided to produce a short video in a "drive-through style", where we follow Hptm Waldstein of HQ 5. Panzerarmee on his way from Blanche-Église to Moyenvic via Juvelize and Lezey. If you don't want to watch the whole video, shortcut links to 4 prominent spots in the map are provided.

Arracourt - Juvelize Master Map Preview

Edited by Mad Mike

Mad Mike,

Very nice map.  I quite enjoyed the drive, even though several excellent spots for a picnic were just passed by.  Apparently Hans forgot to pack the food...again!!!  :angry:

Y'all are doing some quality work.  Thanks for the efforts.

Is your cat with crown picture something specific to München?  Just curious.

Heinrich505

10 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Is your cat with crown picture something specific to München?  Just curious.

No, I'm afraid not. Just a picture I found online and have been using it for quite some time now.
I added the crown when I became "King of the Hill" (for a short time anyway) in one the Few Good Mens tournaments (FGM, see here: http://www.thefewgoodmen.com).
Haven't bothered to remove it and hopefully, one day I will reclaim my throne. ;)

• 1 month later...

Quick project update.

RL has got in the way for quite a few of us leading up to Easter but work continues. The construction of the final two maps have commenced and the map for the big Sept 19th fight is... well.... big. :D

OOB has largely been locked in with tweaks occurring here and there where required. (Read: Ithikial forgot to finish something before).

A linear US campaign option for the players wanting a bit more of a challenge is still certainly an option in play but scenario design as individual playable scenarios is coming first.

Finally a little bit of bad news and that is one of the scenarios, "Patton's Ghosts" will only be playable from the US perspective vs that AI. For any meaningful defense in this scenario will require the US Cavalry forces involved to acquire ammunition and bazookas and then dismount their vehicles to form adhoc infantry screening lines. The AI just can't do that. Shouldn't be any troubles playing this H2H, just remember to read the briefing. ;)

All for now unless one of the other project members wants to show off some pretty pics. Any questions leave them below.

• 3 months later...

(Bump) What's the latest on the Arracourt project?

I'm interested in it particularly because there's a new board wargame (Patton's Vanguard, by Revolution Games) that look like it would make a good operational layer for managing a campaign and generating battles. There's a VASSAL module for Patton's Vanguard out already, and downloadable PDF rules are expected to be available in August. I've attached a screenshot of the boardgame map to show the area it covers. 

Mad Mike: If you have them, can you specify the Google Earth coordinates of the 4 corners of the master map you've made (or are still making)?

I'd like to overlay it on my Google Earth to see the boundaries of it, and then I might make one or more additional master maps that could adjoin it or accompany your content farther down the road.

(Obviously it would take some 25 master maps to encompass the entire play area of the boardgame -- so what I usually do is wait and see where battles are going to happen, then make maps for them as I go)

pattons_vanguard_map_cropped.jpg

4 hours ago, Broadsword56 said:

<snipped>

Still works in process but on hiatus at the moment while team lead @Ithikial_AU is absent from home and vacationing a fortnight in northern Europe.  Ten (10) missions (individual battle scenario's) are in the works.  Eventually we would like to link into a contigious campaign although the battles involved a multitude of different units so a campaign "core" unit is yet to be determined.  One scenario is pretty much developed and play-tested by @Rinaldi.  Maps and OOB's are done for a few others.  The real heavy lifting will be H2H balancing and AI programming.  Nothing is ready for release yet.  Don't expect to see anything substantive until 2018.  (Gosh, that  sounds a bit like Battlefront doesn't it . . .  :ph34r:).  Bottom line is that this is still an active, albeit ambitious, FGM (http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/) project.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:03 PM, Broadsword56 said:

Hi, thanks for checking in. I see Badger beat me to it. Work is plodding along, though it will take a while longer yet. I am personally in the process of winding down my practice and preparing for a move to the UK and thus decided to finish off a CMBS project I never quite got around to. That map is released so I should be returning to this shortly.

I'd love to release my finished scenario for this package if only to whet appetites (AAR here) but I haven't spoken to the other team members about it and feel it would be in bad taste.

Patience, real progress has been made. Were at the 'AI and unit plotting' stage for quite a few maps!

Thanks for the update, Rinaldi -- but I wasn't asking for the scenario, just the geographic coordinates of the area or areas you've mapped so far. I wanted those so that I don't end up mapping any of the same areas and duplicating your work. If you don't know or can't share that, then please just draw your map boundaries on the jpeg I attached on my earlier post, and that would still help immensely. 

4 minutes ago, Broadsword56 said:

Thanks for the update, Rinaldi -- but I wasn't asking for the scenario, just the geographic coordinates of the area or areas you've mapped so far. I wanted those so that I don't end up mapping any of the same areas and duplicating your work. If you don't know or can't share that, then please just draw your map boundaries on the jpeg I attached on my earlier post, and that would still help immensely. 

Oh goodness I can get you a bunch of reference co-ordinate points for "Once and For All" very soon using Google Maps. Watch this space, will have a moment to do so tomorrow morning. I can also send you the co-ordinates for my WIP map. I'll stick to key terrain features to give you a gist of things.

@Broadsword56 a bit belated, forgive me; key co-ordinates from my scenario:

American line of departure  : 48.740516, 6.664310

The Town of Ley: 48.735883, 6.657058

Mannecourt Hill, roughly center: 48.728817, 6.666330

The "twin hills" that overlooked Mannecourt (I'm sorry the names slip my mind and I don't have CMBN to hand):

Northern terminus: 48.726386, 6.672336

Middle: 48.721602, 6.666065

Southern terminus: 48.718844, 6.658968

Church of Moncourt: 48.718055, 6.637110

American Limit of Advance (using the Ley-Moncourt road): 48.716245, 6.631669

sZf0VqE.png

On 27.7.2017 at 1:03 AM, Broadsword56 said:

I'm interested in it particularly because there's a new board wargame (Patton's Vanguard, by Revolution Games) that look like it would make a good operational layer for managing a campaign and generating battles. There's a VASSAL module for Patton's Vanguard out already, and downloadable PDF rules are expected to be available in August. I've attached a screenshot of the boardgame map to show the area it covers. 

Mad Mike: If you have them, can you specify the Google Earth coordinates of the 4 corners of the master map you've made (or are still making)?

I'd like to overlay it on my Google Earth to see the boundaries of it, and then I might make one or more additional master maps that could adjoin it or accompany your content farther down the road.

(Obviously it would take some 25 master maps to encompass the entire play area of the boardgame -- so what I usually do is wait and see where battles are going to happen, then make maps for them as I go)

Hi Broadsword,

sorry for the delay, I didn't see your request earlier. B)

My Juvelize map covers the following area:

OXfYVaR.jpg

The approximate (done manually with the help of Google Maps) corner position are as follows:

NE: 48.776483 , 6.675931
NW: 48.776483, 6.613856
SW: 48.751065, 6.613856
SE: 48.751065, 6.675931

The map is finished, as far as I'm concerned (I guess you could always add and improve stuff, but at a certain point, it doesn't make sense anymore). If you're interested, I can send you the map to take a look. Just shoot me a PM.

Edited by Mad Mike
Corrected Image link

This is just what I needed, Mad Mike, thanks.

Now, if I map anything involving September 1944 in this vicinity, I can check to see if it's already within your area and where it is in relation to your area.

If I do anything I'll mention it here to keep you posted.

Here is your map boundary superimposed on the boardgame play area, overlaid on Google Earth.

Mad Mike Map boundary on boardgame map.jpg