Barkmann's Corner revisited

Hello everyone, It took some time but I thought of creating my own take on Barkmann's Corner.  I have spent a great deal reading some of my books, and many forums online.  Its hard to say exactly what happened but I think that everyone will enjoy this version as much as they loved 'Jaws" version.  I have been gone awhile and I guess I lost my login credentials with " A few Good Men" as none of my log in attempts worked and have no idea how to contact them.  Well Crap.. I cant attach it here either, file is to big even after Ziping it.

EDIT:  I have been away too long, as they have changed things at AFGM site.  Which is cool but I guess I have to wait for an email or something.

Edited by GhostRider3/3

Not as of yet... I went to the link, and I have to say its nice but I can not post anything as of yet.. so its not a big help right now.  Also The Proving Ground II site could use some better instructions on its FaQ page.  Although it explains that the site provides for play testing and feed back to the "Authors" I presume, it does not tell you how to go about to just UPLOAD a file.... meaning if you do not have an account and do not wish to be an Author but to just upload a scenario, or yours was lost with their new updates to their webpage, their is no contact information at all.  Just my 2 cents, but whenever I try to upload a scenario which was no big deal before, it asks for username, or email and then password.. well where the bloody hell do you actually create an account on the webpage?  I remember seeing this before but cant find the link to even create a new one.  Although I was slightly pissed off, and have sense watched some Football and had a few drinks.

OK,

Unfortunately the owner/web master is on holiday right now (Deserved and he's keeping in touch), he's normally very good at responding quickly (both with info and web design changes). 

I'm reporting your feedback to him.  You're right there is no obvious way to create an account from the proving grounds or the Scenario depot nor is there any direct info either in the FAQ or elsewhere explaining how to create an account.

Apologies on our part for not spotting this earlier - I will get this fed back and try and find a work round for you ASAP.

Excellent, much appreciated, and no worries.  Hopefully I did not sound like an ass, as I have the utmost respect for the Battlefront team, the people behind the Scenario Depot etc.  They are excellent sites and a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks Zinzan and tell the web master/owner to take down a few cold ones.. or in Europe I guess they might be room temperature. 

Cheers!

James

Howdy GhosRider3/3,

No problem, you didn't come over as ass (something I know a lot about :) )

I've added a comment on  the site for Bootie or a_n_other admin to check out, I've also linked to a vid on YouTube Bootie did to explain process - though the fact that he is away will slow down your author access.  He's away from home right now but he is notorious for getting stuff done REALLY fast.

Vid is more for others spotting this thread rather than for you specifically.  I'll try and report back here once it's sorted.

OK definitive (I hope) answer obtained.

Yes the authors access (TSD, TPG etc) is what you need; but it looks like it's not automated (speculating but probably to prevent tampering).  Bootie is away for a while so might need to wait for his return. 

GhostRider3/3,

Having played the one that came with CMBN early in what passes for my CMx2 career, and lost tactically doing it as Barkmann, I'm intrigued that someone would have another go at it. As the Germans, my experience showed that quantity does indeed create a quality of its own, and there was simply too little on the German side, coupled with serious terrain problems, to deal with the armored horde. This was greatly worsened by having Barkmann killed while head out fighting his tank. Nor did it help at all that so many of the attacking tanks had their Ma Deuces in front of the TC;s hatch, rather than the as built  aft location. that smarted, but I have no idea how accurate that was. Perhaps one day I'll get to have a crack at your bit of the war effort, as it were.

Regards,

John Kettler

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:07 PM, John Kettler said:

GhostRider3/3,

Having played the one that came with CMBN early in what passes for my CMx2 career, and lost tactically doing it as Barkmann, I'm intrigued that someone would have another go at it. As the Germans, my experience showed that quantity does indeed create a quality of its own, and there was simply too little on the German side, coupled with serious terrain problems, to deal with the armored horde. This was greatly worsened by having Barkmann killed while head out fighting his tank. Nor did it help at all that so many of the attacking tanks had their Ma Deuces in front of the TC;s hatch, rather than the as built  aft location. that smarted, but I have no idea how accurate that was. Perhaps one day I'll get to have a crack at your bit of the war effort, as it were.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hello John,

Like yourself I played Barkmann's Corner when CMBN came out.  It was extremely fun and again like you lost a few times.  Its almost by luck or 'Chance" you survive.  After becoming more Intune with the editor and such I made a few scenarios, a couple I have on CMODS.  I wanted to take a crack at Barkmann's corner and try and re-create it.  So after some crazy research and looking at many photographs..  I began my rendition of Barkmann's Corner.  The changes are the following.   Barkmann's Tank is now from the Waffen SS units instead of Wehrmacht.  The German Infantry are the same number as in the first but are of the Wehrmacht, in which I thought because of the area and date would be from the 353rd Inf Division (Remnants).   Allied units are basically from 3rd Armored Div.  A Troop 4th Cav. Sqdrn.   E Troop with M8's, F Troop with M5 Lt. Tanks, Battery B  391st Field Arty.  (However in what I read only x1 Priest was detached for support while the rest of B Battery was in support of CCB.  I also included the mysterious 'Tanker Truck".  There are of course a number of Sherman tanks as well with a few of 76mm of the earlier models.  The map is quite different, as I tried to use photographs of the area in question. However I am not as meticulous as others but the map and the photograph are close.  ( I could have spent another month on the map but since in my research no one really knows EXACTLY where this battle took place, or if it even took place is still in question).  I think it works very well and gives the player more latitude to maneuver Barkmann if need be.  The only other change is that Barkmann is on the RIGHT hand side of the road, this tactically gives him an advantage in which I think is more accurate as he was an Ace already, and something he most likely would have thought of.

Most of the information was from Photos, and Forums.  I give a nod to those people who obviously have done a lot of research on the subject, and listed the forums in which I retrieved the information in the scenario briefing.

All I can do now is wait until I hear back from the admin for CMODS to become an Author, then I will upload it. and repost.

GhostRider3/3,

Sounds like you've really done your homework. It would be interesting to see your map at some point, for I do still have some memory of what the other one was like. One thing for sure is that in the face of the Allied armored horde, the German infantry desperately needed more Panzerschrecks. What the heck is this "Tanker Truck" I've never eard of? That said, I know very little about the engagement, though I've read there is fundamental uncertainty as to where it occurred.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Ok guys thats me back from Singapore... now what appears to be the problem. :)

@GhostRider3/3 Ive added you as an author and your password will be emailed to you.  Had to use GhostRider33 as the / isnt allowed.

Ive updated your author account to give you access to the 2 scenarios I uploaded from the Repository on your behalf.

I will also look into easing the process for new users.. thanks.

Bootie

15 hours ago, Bootie said:

Ok guys thats me back from Singapore... now what appears to be the problem. :)

@GhostRider3/3 Ive added you as an author and your password will be emailed to you.  Had to use GhostRider33 as the / isnt allowed.

Ive updated your author account to give you access to the 2 scenarios I uploaded from the Repository on your behalf.

I will also look into easing the process for new users.. thanks.

Bootie

Thanks Bootie.... I will get this completed now.  I totally appreciate your time and hope you had a great time in Singapore.. its a fun place.  Cheers!

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:16 AM, John Kettler said:

GhostRider3/3,

Sounds like you've really done your homework. It would be interesting to see your map at some point, for I do still have some memory of what the other one was like. One thing for sure is that in the face of the Allied armored horde, the German infantry desperately needed more Panzerschrecks. What the heck is this "Tanker Truck" I've never eard of? That said, I know very little about the engagement, though I've read there is fundamental uncertainty as to where it occurred.

Regards,

John Kettler

I should have the scenario loaded up on the testing site later today.  Supposedly there was a tanker trunk that was hit and exploded in the melee.  In the Scenario I list the sources I used for the information, although again, unless you were there at "Barkmann's Corner" then no one really knows what the hell transpired is what I have been reading.  My guess is, it was such a small engagement, except for the supposed loss of 14- or so vehicles that no one on the American side really reported it as probably anything more than a small engagement lasting about 20min or so between 1 stubborn tank and around a platoon or Company of men.  Operation Cobra was such a huge success that it was probably just brushed aside.  For the US Side that may have been there, they probably did not know exactly where they were, so the exact orientation of where Barkmann's Corner is exactly is still a mystery of sorts, but there are some areas matching Barkmann's description to the T.  Interesting at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

Panzer Aces II or III not sure, covers this battle... and it took place.  From reading that account, when I played the first designed scenario (Jaws), on my first go, Barkmann survived and totally blew up the Yanks real good!  :)  This was in warrior mode at that time.  Now I use Iron mode only for all CM.

• 2 weeks later...