Strategy vs Tactics

Cymru

I noticed that most of the descriptions and reviews of RT refer to it as a Strategy game, while I always think of CM games as the epitome of Tactical. Is the terminology becoming blurred, or is it that they are using Strategic as a way of describing a game that needs thought, rather than reflexive responses?

You are probably reading articles that are written by gaming industry experts, which is like reading reviews of car audio systems written by car industry experts. They know the basics but will tend to use the terms they are most familiar with. When it comes to digital wargames the gaming industry has four categories: Real time strategy, Turn based, First Person Shooter and Squad Tactical. Since you can play CM in real time most want to stick it in the Real Time Strategy category. Even though most RTS are resource gathering based.

Plenty of strategy and tactics. When you get into mid, large and huge battles it becomes as much an exercise in the operational art of war.

I don't really think so. The operational level refers to planning on a much larger scale than anything you can do in a few kilometers and a few hours.

Deciding to invade Normandy is strategy.

Figuring out how to cut off the peninsula and take Cherbourg is operational.

Taking the village or the farm in front of you is tactics.

I don't really think so. The operational level refers to planning on a much larger scale than anything you can do in a few kilometers and a few hours.

Deciding to invade Normandy is strategy.

Figuring out how to cut off the peninsula and take Cherbourg is operational.

Taking the village or the farm in front of you is tactics.

Fair enough. I was thinking more in terms of a series of tactical action in pursuit of a larger goal.

Plenty of strategy and tactics. When you get into mid, large and huge battles it becomes as much an exercise in the operational art of war.

In casual conversation sure. However, in formal military theory terms, "operational" is far above CM's scale -- For example, Bagration as a whole is considered one "Operation", as would be e.g., Market Garden. So an Operational-level game would presumably allow you to depict the entirety of Bagration or Market Garden in one gaming session.

In general, operational-level simulations involve moving around units of at least Brigade size, are far more concerned with issues like logistics and transport than siting individual AT guns...

The CM games have both strategy and tactics similar to Chess. In chess, strategy is take over center then move left....tactic, should my pawn take the Queen.

CM strategy......move along the left edge of map, pretend to move up the middle.....tactics....should I shoot at the tank with my hidden AT gun.

Unlike chess......in CM pawn does not always take Queen.....or see Queen for that matter. That's why I prefer to play CM

In video gamer terms 'strategy' means you have to use your head and think about stuff. In military terms 'strategy' is the prerogative of politicians and the highest ranks of the various military arms, where military directives are shaped and formed by political goals. CM has always been a tactical game in military terms. This per the definition of the hierarchy in military art: tactics, operational art, and strategy.

Strategy is buying a packet of condoms*

Operations is getting a date with Mary Jane Rottencrotch

Tactics is groping around in the dark after you've dropped the condoms

* actually, that'd be logistics, but never mind ...

Jeez, you guys...

Strategy is deciding to go on a date with Mary Jane Rottencrotch, and planning your moves from pick-up, to back seat, to smooth exit.

Logistics is stocking up on booze and condoms. (points to JonS on that)

Operations is getting the date, driving to Lovers Lane, engaging in preliminary small talk, maneuvering MJ into the back seat, and (later) executing a smooth exit.

Tactics is getting to 3rd Base (could also be considered a bit of operations too) then groping around in the dark after you dropped the condom.

Man, it's a wonder that computer game geeks ever propagate. Listen, I'm getting old and am not going to be around forever, so let's pay attention here!

The only comment I have regarding condoms is from a former manager - always provide you're own and never let them out of your sight. Apparently his wife who he never stopped complaining about took a needle and poked holes in his stash and got knocked up before the shotgun and marriage.

The only comment I have regarding condoms is from a former manager - always provide you're own and never let them out of your sight. Apparently his wife who he never stopped complaining about took a needle and poked holes in his stash and got knocked up before the shotgun and marriage.

... And that would be operational security and counterespionage. :D

Jeez, you guys...

Strategy is deciding to go on a date with Mary Jane Rottencrotch, and planning your moves from pick-up, to back seat, to smooth exit.

Logistics is stocking up on booze and condoms. (points to JonS on that)

Operations is getting the date, driving to Lovers Lane, engaging in preliminary small talk, maneuvering MJ into the back seat, and (later) executing a smooth exit.

Tactics is getting to 3rd Base (could also be considered a bit of operations too) then groping around in the dark after you dropped the condom.

Man, it's a wonder that computer game geeks ever propagate. Listen, I'm getting old and am not going to be around forever, so let's pay attention here!

So politics must be when you meet some (male) friends at the local bar, drink some beers and discuss weather or not a date with Mary Jane Rotten Crotch is worth it at all.