New features/feature ideas for CM for the next few years thread

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the editor...

When deploying the troops on the map...the ability to manually select wich weapons of the squads that will be missing due to casualties...

A good way to do this i think would be to be able to simply toggle the weapon (and soldier) on or off by left-clicking the weapon incon in the TEAM INFO PANEL after having selected a unit on the map.

When using the HEADCOUNT function right now and setting it to a higher level of casualties (atleast with regards to the germans) they will almost always keep all the machineguns...This might off course be quite realistic since the machinegun is the most powerful weapon...

However...i think it would be a nice feature if you could choose to remove some of thoose machineguns manually...instead of having a squad with 60 percent headcount

having A- and B teams consisting of 1 machinegun and 1 rifle/Mp each...being able to edit one of the teams to have 3 rifles and a Mp for example...

• 2 weeks later...
What about the introduction of dud rounds? Mortars, tank guns etc. Or has that already been modelled in the game? And while we're on the topic gun jams.

I don't believe dud rounds are modelled in any way. Gun jams (that are protracted and intractable enough to affect the game) were vanishingly rare in most weapon systems, and there are already sufficient opportunities for jams to be cleared that modelling them explicitly would be a simple waste of coding time: you wouldn't notice that they were happening.

Well, they should be. Are we to believe that rounds coming off the factory line are clones of each other?

[shrug]

I'm not commenting on that. Just the current state of play.

Evidence please. Rare does not mean absent.

Remember I said "protracted and intractable enough to affect the game". Take the MG42: if a round jammed in the breech, the operator changed barrels, and the assistant pried the stuck round out while the gunner continued firing. Since CM includes reloading pauses that are long enough to include a barrel change, such jams are effectively already considered.

Take the british Vickers MG. An entire Battalion of those was firing continuously for hours without any unscheduled stoppage. That's several dozen weapons, and I don't know how many tens of thousands of rounds downrange without a single jam.

A bolt-action rifle, generally, if a round misfires, you just crank another one in.

No, they weren't "absent", but they were so vanishingly rare as to not be worth modelling. Guns are actually pretty reliable. Unreliable guns don't last very long in service in wartime.

IIRC in CMBB they had weapon jams. i thought it was a great little feature, cos they always seemed to jam just when u needed them most!! :rolleyes:

They did, and they were, for my mind, far too frequent, as well as far too frequently ending up with permanently jammed weapons. In a 2 hour game I'd come to expect half of my support automatic weapons to end up unserviceable due to jams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

according to Chris on his latest twitch installment, there is no information currently available on the topic. I think that is about as good as you will get in terms of an update. It is neither a yes nor no really, but simply it is too early for BF to comment on. They have mostly been saying no, but things around here are subject to change and CMFI was a surprise for everyone.

What about the option to have another more realistic mode after Iron

I like to have:

1)The option to play only with the camera on level 1

2)Disable the waypoint LOS tool,if you want to see if you have LOS in a certain place in the map your truppen must be there

Without getting into the argument about what's "realistic", how hard is it to maintain such a set of blinders for yourself? Is it really worth spending valuable coding hours imposing a set of restrictions that's technically facile to keep up without systematic assistance (and if you've not got the self-restraint to manage it, you'll probably end up in restraints, the kind with the long sleeves that fastens at the back, yourself, trying to play with them enforced)?

I am almost afraid to ask, but any chance there might be a CMx2 module

for North Africa , esp from the Gazala battles to El Alamein, perhaps even the Tunisia campaign?

When BN came out Steve was quite adamant about not returning to North Africa, but several months ago he indicated that his attitude had softened and there was a chance—an outside chance but still a chance—that it might happen. I think it wouldn't just be a module though, but a complete family to cover the three years of fighting there.

Michael

I expect there is no chance for NA module until after the earlier East Front modules are complete. That way BF would have all the '40-'43 German equipment already made.

Yes, that would make sense. It would also put it three or four years down the road, although one covering just '43 could appear sooner as a goodly share of the models would already be done. But I think BFC might be unlikely to bring out a base game that would only cover a five month period in NA. I would expect them to be more likely to want to go from mid-'42 to mid-'43. And in any case whether they do one at all will hinge on anticipated demand. If they don't expect to sell enough copies to cover the cost of production plus profit, it is not likely to see the light of day.

Michael

It would be interesting to have BF give us a choice of prices so they could see how many units they would have to sell to make a profit. eg: $50 with "x" quantity; $100 with "y" quantity etc.

I think some of us would be prepared to spend more than BF currently charged if that meant getting a game topic that especially interested us (I know I am fortunate). There is certainly no other company developing anything similar.

I had a hankering for strategic games and recently bought two of Gary Grigsby's classics: War in the Pacific and War in the East. Something like $80 each and they are now old games(!)

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I think I'd like to see is the inclusion of Pre-Dawn under the Daylight setting for QBs. This would begin a couple of hours before sunrise and carry through until a couple of hours after sunrise. This would allow small teams to infiltrate the enemy positions to ambush or attack from the rear and/or to recon enemy positions and call down artillery fires on them. There would necessarily be a premium on stealth in these movements into position as they would be in bad shape if discovered. Once they had reached their assigned positions, they would lay up in good cover until the battle began. Once their main force began its battle, the job of the infiltrating units would be to observe, snipe, hinder the movement of reserves or supplies and generally to create mayhem in the enemy's rear.

Michael

Has the issue of chat in a PBEM been raised before? It'd be nice to have a "message waiting" popup in-game and the tools and space to write and receive notes.

An in-game notification of an offered Cease Fire would be nice too. Possibly have two options: "Accept Cease Fire when offered", which wouldn't pop a message, but would automatically accept if the opponent did offer (same as now); "Offer Cease Fire" which would pop a message at the end of the replay phase/instantly for PBEM/RT modes respectively.