What we will see the next?

togi

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sometimes amazes me the misconceptions people entertain about the fighting in North Africa. Same is true about CMAK. For one thing, as sburke alludes, a lot of the games that were played in it were set in one part of Europe or another.

Well, these misconceptions might to some extend be connected to the fact that the title of the game was Combat Mission:Afrika Korps. Don´t you think? ;)

A more correct - but admittedly less sexy - title would be something like Combat Mission:Mediterranean Theatre.

I played and enjoyed CMAK a lot (it was my first CM game) and I especially enjoyed the european scenarios.

But what really made CMAK great for me was the CM:ETO (European Theatre of Operations) mod pack that transformed the game to north western Europe - from Normandy to the Bulge.

Well, these misconceptions might to some extend be connected to the fact that the title of the game was Combat Mission:Afrika Korps. Don´t you think? ;)

A more correct - but admittedly less sexy - title would be something like Combat Mission:Mediterranean Theatre.

Agreed. BFC has IMO an unfortunate history when it comes to choosing names for their games. The best I can say for them is that they are uninspiring and sometime—as above—a bit misleading. Battle for Normandy is a bit more right on. Fortress Italy...just doesn't quite hit the mark. For the base game Operation Husky would have been both more colorful and more precise. Or if that was felt to be too obscure for the general game buyer, then simply Sicily would have served. When we get to the mainland, I sort of like Up the Boot myself. ;)

Michael

Agreed. BFC has IMO an unfortunate history when it comes to choosing names for their games.

As long as the next title does not start with:

CMB,

CMF or

CMS

I'm good. Because I start my games with 'cmd+space' + 3-letter code. Another game with the same three letters and I'd have to type 4(!) letters for two of them. That would increase my average typing workload by 12,5%. Unacceptable.

;)

As long as the next title does not start with:

CMB,

CMF or

CMS

I'm good. Because I start my games with 'cmd+space' + 3-letter code. Another game with the same three letters and I'd have to type 4(!) letters for two of them. That would increase my average typing workload by 12,5%. Unacceptable.

;)

I think your safe with CMB then because I think 99% of potential new customers outside of Russia (Byelorus etc.), would not have a clue as to what Combat Mission:Bagration would be. I suppose it actually would be Operation Bagration but that wouldn't help. I'm thinking Combat Mission:East Front '44 would work though.

How do you pronounce 'Bagration'? It sounds French and many Russians spoke French but did they really pronounce it French?

It's actually Georgian; the operation was named after this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Bagration

There's a pronunciation guide to his name on the Wikipedia page if you know how to interpret IPA.

Roughly, if you put the emphasis on the 2nd syllable, and pronounce all vowels separately (no diphthongs or elisions) and pronounce the "t" as a true "t" and not "sh" (i.e., don't pronounce the "-tion" ending as "-shun", as is typically done in English), then you have it more or less correct.

EDIT: Correction -- looking further, apparently there is a difference between the Georgian and Russian pronunciation -- see further down the Wikipedia page. Most significantly, the Russians apparently put the emphasis on the last syllable -- bag-rut-ee-on.