Preview WIP New CMBN CW Portraits

Mord

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mord you are a genius. Part of that is because you are unique. Part of that is because people take the time to realize you are different. Part of that is because people noticed your extensive signature. Part of it was because it began with self-deprecating mock praise.

I can't remember which thread it was in that brought up your lengthy signature, but ignore it. They are like little citations that make you seem mas credible. At the very least, its funny that you put them up; having gotten to know your avatar's personality a little bit better.

Anyways, for some reason it seemed to me that this wasn't that far off topic. Keep pumping out awesome work, because for every one person that comments, there are ten to twenty viewing with their own opinions. I think that might be a cliche by now in this tech driven society; but oh well, I like Combat Mission.

Small detail that may or may not be helpful. IIRC Tankers had silver piping on the uniforms, TD crew had pink piping. Juts another way to distinguish the branches.

Also, FYI with your older UI mod, I always chose the graphic of guys with binoculars for tank crew and without binocs for inf, just so I could instantly tell armor from inf leaders.

Probably a daft question but will these go as an accompaniment to Ju Ju's mod?

I was developing them separately but judging by the test results they should compliment his excellent work just fine. There's no way I'll be able to release them at the same time though. My push to make these the best I can has slowed down my process, which in the end will be a good thing. I am being much more thoughtful about each portrait which by looking at my earliest attempts LOL wow...BIG difference!

That being said, I think Juju ended up having a lot of influence on these without even knowing it...watching him develop his UI mod caused me to think differently about how I approach this hobby. I am no artist, Juju, Aris, mjkerner, sdp, Vein, Birdstrike (wherever he is) EZ, Coondog, Marco, BenPark, and a bunch of our other guys are true artists, I am just a creative person with a minor grasp of Adobe Elements and how the game applies stuff...but these guys, and Juju's mod in particular, have really pushed me to squeeze every ounce I can out of my work.

LMAO...I feel like I just had an Oprah moment.

@Barkhorn: I am gonna do my best to make these EVEN better than what you were hoping for when you wrote me.

Mord you are a genius. Part of that is because you are unique. Part of that is because people take the time to realize you are different. Part of that is because people noticed your extensive signature. Part of it was because it began with self-deprecating mock praise.

I can't remember which thread it was in that brought up your lengthy signature, but ignore it. They are like little citations that make you seem mas credible. At the very least, its funny that you put them up; having gotten to know your avatar's personality a little bit better.

Anyways, for some reason it seemed to me that this wasn't that far off topic. Keep pumping out awesome work, because for every one person that comments, there are ten to twenty viewing with their own opinions. I think that might be a cliche by now in this tech driven society; but oh well, I like Combat Mission.

Ah, only one of my signatures was a shot at me...that guy Tris showed up back when I first joined, October 2000, and within a couple days had Steve threatening to ban him. He was an arrogant somebody! There's another dude on here named Tris, I believe, but they aren't the same. Ali Baba's quote was a shot at all the people bitching about CMX2 being 1:1 and the like. It was fitting 'cause I never wanted to go back to the three stooges of CMX1!

But anyway, thanks for all the nice words. It was fun writing the first post even though I was near brain death at that moment. I think it was a good idea to do like the other guys and start an "in progress thread"...I never used to do that, wanting more to surprise everyone but it's keeping me from rushing things.

Very, very nice, Mord. Looking forward to it!

Thanks man! If I can get that kind of praise from you I must be doing things right!

Small detail that may or may not be helpful. IIRC Tankers had silver piping on the uniforms, TD crew had pink piping. Juts another way to distinguish the branches.

Also, FYI with your older UI mod, I always chose the graphic of guys with binoculars for tank crew and without binocs for inf, just so I could instantly tell armor from inf leaders.

You'll have no problems with telling dudes apart at a glance, you'll have three choices for armor for ALL the Germans (two faces and a binocs) and the Americans (one face, two binocs), CW guys will only have two (face and binocs).

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I'll update again soon.

Mord.

I was developing them separately but judging by the test results they should compliment his excellent work just fine. There's no way I'll be able to release them at the same time though. My push to make these the best I can has slowed down my process, which in the end will be a good thing. I am being much more thoughtful about each portrait which by looking at my earliest attempts LOL wow...BIG difference!

That being said, I think Juju ended up having a lot of influence on these without even knowing it...watching him develop his UI mod caused me to think differently about how I approach this hobby. I am no artist, Juju, Aris, mjkerner, sdp, Vein, Birdstrike (wherever he is) EZ, Coondog, Marco, BenParks, and a bunch of our other guys are true artists, I am just a creative person with a minor grasp of Adobe Elements and how the game applies stuff...but these guys, and Juju's mod in particular, have really pushed me to squeeze every ounce I can out of my work.

LMAO...I feel like I just had an Oprah moment.Mord.

For me and no doubt many other members, you are as equally talented as those fellows you mention :)

Well, thank you. I am gonna do my best to live up to that!

BTW...did you ever straighten out those sound files?

Mord.

You have nothing to live up to Mord..No I couldn't find a programme and I don't think I am cut out for modding :-( I will leave it to you and the artists on this forum.

I shall just stick to moaning ;)

ps mjkerner do not downplay your talents either.

Thanks fellas. I am glad you all dig what I have done and I hope to bring you lots more!

And I agree with para as well mj, your stuff kicksass. You are one of the most amazing resources the modding community has for CMBN (as well as a very cool dude). Those Italian tank crew unis in particular are damned brilliant...and you said you just started messing with computer graphics! You need to MESS MORE!!

@para, I felt bad about bowing out on those back then but I was just jammed for time...and they were so overwhelming. It's not that they are a hard thing to do it's the amount of files and the tedium that goes with all that sifting and changing bit rates!

Mord.

That being said, I think Juju ended up having a lot of influence on these without even knowing it...watching him develop his UI mod caused me to think differently about how I approach this hobby. I am no artist, Juju, Aris, mjkerner, sdp, Vein, Birdstrike (wherever he is) EZ, Coondog, Marco, BenPark, and a bunch of our other guys are true artists, I am just a creative person with a minor grasp of Adobe Elements and how the game applies stuff...but these guys, and Juju's mod in particular, have really pushed me to squeeze every ounce I can out of my work.

Wow, thanks. High praise! But make no mistake, I'm no artist either. After ten years I'm sure I'm still barely scratching the possibilities Photoshop has to offer. And apart from modding CM (and some Silent Hunter 3 ships, way back when) I have zilch experience in graphics design. I always like to think my main strengths are resourcefulness, attention to minute detail and to always create something totally new. But actual skill, I think not.

Well, You've got something brother!

And speaking of something...I hear goose stepping...

ACHTUNG MF's! Here comes the dark side...

waffen.jpg

I am doing my best not to let the guys slide into bobble headland. I am trying to be as uniform as possible with the heads. I got the shields all uniform but it's hard with the dudes 'cause I don't seem to take screenshots at the same zoom level every time.

Now, I just gotta do this guy with 5 more divisions x 4. Anyway, I think he's locked down.

Does he pass? BTW the SS runes on the helmet are for quickly identifying not supposed to represent any kind of historical accuracy in their placement or anything.

Mord.

Well, You've got something brother!

And speaking of something...I hear goose stepping...

ACHTUNG MF's! Here comes the dark side...

waffen.jpg

I am doing my best not to let the guys slide into bobble headland. I am trying to be as uniform as possible with the heads. I got the shields all uniform but it's hard with the dudes 'cause I don't seem to take screenshots at the same zoom level every time.

Now, I just gotta do this guy with 5 more divisions x 4. Anyway, I think he's locked down.

Does he pass? BTW the SS runes on the helmet are for quickly identifying not supposed to represent any kind of historical accuracy in their placement or anything.

Mord.

As these came into view I heard the Imperial March

LOL. Thanks. Yeah, that first one was way too slick looking...you were right. I like this one better now that I've done it. Got a grittier feel to it. It's hard to design these and be as critical as I'd like right off the bat...it usually takes a few days before I get all GAH...I hate that one. So, good call.

@Barkhorn and Para...thanks...hope you guys like this one even more!

Cue Darth Vaderhosen...

Mord.