Arrgh, game unplayable as PBEM

I know this a a known issue but give me a break! If after taking 10 min to load a game file and plot all my moves then to see it decided not to save the file!!!!! I just did this three times in a row with a file and I refuse to do it again.

BF fix this!!!! I have been a supporter of the CM family since the 2000 and this is the most upset/disappointed I have been.

PC

XP Pro 64 bit

Interestingly, H2HH users also have reported that CMBN doesn't see a new game file immediately after it is copied into Incoming Email. I've been asked "why do I have to exit CMBN and start it again to see the new file".

We've pretty much proved that the file really is in place, so this is in the "hmm - that's strange" basket. It only just occured to me that there might be the same underlying cause, if CMBN is having trouble with files.

GaJ

I used to get this a lot (w7 64 bit) but strangely haven't had it happen once since the patch. Anyway what I used to do as a work around is save the game after giving my orders (save in the menu, not by ending the turn) then if the file doesn't create after ending the turn just load up the save and try again. That way you don't have to plot all your orders again.

I used to get this a lot (w7 64 bit) but strangely haven't had it happen once since the patch. Anyway what I used to do as a work around is save the game after giving my orders (save in the menu, not by ending the turn) then if the file doesn't create after ending the turn just load up the save and try again. That way you don't have to plot all your orders again.

Ya, this is what I am doing now....

Sounds to me like it might be a case of windows vista/7 virtualisation screwing around with saves. For some ungodly reason, sometimes windows will end up using a 'virtual' set of files and directories for applications when they are running, which are hidden in a different location from the directories you thought you were using on the disk. I've come across this before when changing the configuration file for an application and it steadfastly being ignored, because the application was actually reading the virtual copy of the configuration file it had created which was of course unchanged by my edits.

Anyway, you can read up some stuff about it at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387

which might also explain where to find the files that windows has chosen to hide from you, and maybe even how to stop it from doing that. Being windows however, there is no guarantee...

I have Win 7 64 and have no problems with the generation of save game files for PBEM.

The times I do is I forgot that I already created one and replay the turn and create a save game temp or something that file will not work - have to delete the previous one and recreate from the returned saved game.