WIP-Herman Goering Panzer Division-Tropical Uniforms

mjkerner

MJ...WOW...you have been a busy guy while I was away! You are one skilled dude, unis look really sweet. The texturing is top notch. I can almost feel the itchiness of the fabric.

Great job, my man.

Mord.

Hey Mord, good to see you're back! I'm glad you like these...I've been modding uniforms primarily for my own use, but I hope the community likes them. I have more work to do on a number of little things, like should the collar rank tabs have a green backing with black piping, or the ones shown here; the German helmets are tricky since unlike the Ami helmet image, the right side is the only side that shows in-game...it's mirrored for the left side--stuff like that. Also, I need to get permissions from patboy (two helmets), and sdp (camo frock/tunic). Anyway, it should be done in a few days.

Here's some more recent pics:

HGPanzer1.jpg

HGPanzer8.jpg

HGPanzer7.jpg

Great looking. I would continue with the highly muted colors. Modders make the mistake of using colors out of an Osprey book - all bright and pretty.

I doubt if one could see shoulder and collar tabs of any nationality unit unless really close. And those blue uniforms and helmets look like they would attract fire from a long way away. I bet they were gotten rid of or dirtied up fast.

Thanks for the input, Erwin. That blue helmet is the third try...still too light, the same with the ammo pouches. It's the highlighting that is tricky for me, since I'm still learning the fine points of blending, etc., through trial and error. OTOH, I paint detailed 28mm miniatures (or used to until this game came along...I haven't picked up a brush in 4 months!) and I painted as much for close-up viewing and allowing some of it to show on the gaming table, and so I tend to exagerate the colors. North American Indians dressed and painted garishly and the camera has exaggerated the highlights, you get the idea in the pics below.

I want to see some of the detail from a distance in this game as well, but there's the rub--too much off the realism mark. I have to unlearn the habit.

ConquestEnhanced3.jpg

ConquestEnhanced6.jpg

Actually those would be GREAT mods for any CM game. CM: Cowboys and Indians anyone?

Regrettably, after WW1, all colors disappeared. If you look at photos of the WW2 era, even color ones, everything is muted and muddy/dirty/worn/soiled/torn.

As a "Hitler Channel" slut, I don't recall ever seeing any type of patches on any soldiers unless one was very close, or they were still clean and pretty in England. I think Aristotle has got the look just about perfect for his xnt vehicle mods.

It's perfectly understandable that a modder would want to show off his skills with colorful patches etc. But, anything that would tend to make a WW2 soldier stand out from the foliage would not be realistic (soon discarded or covered over).

Thanks for the feedback, Erwin, I need the perspective of others to get this to look right.

You'll get no argument from me about dirtying things up. Some unit patches/collar tabs and such do show in photos and films, but they are certainly not as distinct as Osprey shows them...definitely muted. But like the shell casings on the floor of Aris' H/Ts...I want the up-close detail because I like to get to ground level and watch the show right in amongst the men. But my problem is getting the right balance of lighting and colors.

I am under no illusions about how hard modding and scenario design is. So, my hat is off to you.

The only other idea I had (even during CM1 days) was that there tended to be a professional glamor studio look - that is, no shadows. I wonder if it's possible to use darker lines along uniform creases and under chins - basically wherever one sees darker areas on any real person etc to give a shadowed look. Shadows are the sort of thing that makes pics of models look more realistic.

Same for vehicles actually.

The only other idea I had (even during CM1 days) was that there tended to be a professional glamor studio look - that is, no shadows. I wonder if it's possible to use darker lines along uniform creases and under chins - basically wherever one sees darker areas on any real person etc to give a shadowed look. Shadows are the sort of thing that makes pics of models look more realistic.

Same for vehicles actually.

That appears to be how EZ approached it. There are edging tools in the various graphics programs that will accomplish that for the crease areas. There are also other ways to lighten-darken areas--many different ways, in fact. But that's where the learning curve comes in. I used to make my own counters for playing boardgames in VASSAL using minimal Paint Shop skills, but the images used for 3D models shown under various lighting conditions does take a lot more skill. There are obviously a lot of experienced modders around here who could do this in a 1/10th of the time I am, but learning these techniques is a lot of fun. By the time we get to Russia, maybe I'll be one of them. Too bad you all are my guineau pigs! :D

• 1 month later...

Nice job,

I was thinking you may be able to random it up abit by switching some Blouses to the Splinter Smock with Helmet cover... or some folks just with the Splinter Soft cap, or Helmet cover.

Another combo could be albiet rare would be the full Splinter para jumpsuit. I think the only Splinter trousers would have been the ones they issued for Winter as they I believe were reversible.

Anyways splendid job.

Thanks for the feedback, Ghostrider.

Unfortunately, the game code randomly assigns helmets/headgear, regular gear, and uniforms randomly on the 3D models, so if you get a match between camo headgear and camo blouse, it's just luck. Also, as of yet, no infantry models have smocks or soft hats (only armor crew get the soft hat). Presumably we'll be getting them in the Commonwealth module.

Thanks for the feedback, Ghostrider.

Unfortunately, the game code randomly assigns helmets/headgear, regular gear, and uniforms randomly on the 3D models, so if you get a match between camo headgear and camo blouse, it's just luck. Also, as of yet, no infantry models have smocks or soft hats (only armor crew get the soft hat). Presumably we'll be getting them in the Commonwealth module.

Copy that. I know you played CMAK and CMBB right? Do you recall that the German Infantry from the TOE had the correct piping? example the Panzer commanders and such had pink, Recon had yellow, Infantry was white, pioneer was black etc?

I have not noticed this with CMBN... maybe I need to look harder...lol

It will be cool when they come out with the commonwealth campaign... crap.... its hard to wait and would like it very much if the admin would give us a tidbit or something.. on what we have to look forward to in the next few months.

Its like the old ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) but in 3D... I got 2 of my old ASL buddies to pick up Combat Mission Battle for Normandy.