LOS Frustration (or more Allied cloaking??)

I'm playing Chance Encounter, and my oppos' Sherms are whupping me with area fire.

I can't get a bead on the darn things. Do the allies have some cloaking technology that I'm not aware of?? Have a look at these videos: these are the same turn from the viewpoint of two of my Sherms. I have the same thing from a shrek as well...

(Vajero: you're not allowed to look at these :) :) )

GaJ

Yes. I know. Obviously.

The question is not "why does the Sherm disappear?"

The answer to that question is "because the unit you clicked on can't see it".

The problem is _why_ can't either of my guys see the Sherm????

It's right there in front of their face, firing area fire at my troops. They can

even see the muzzle flare, I think (need to check that). They just aren't being shown the tank.

Don't you think that looks broken? I can't think of a good explanation: the tree trunks don't obscure the centre of the sherm, as far as I can tell. Maybe it is the case: maybe the line from every one of the 4 units I have that is experiencing this to the centre of the Sherm clips a tree!

This experience is telling me that by far the best place to put a tank is in scattered trees, because your oppo will have a hard time getting LOS on you, while you can fire out at will... "tree cloaking"?

GaJ

This experience is telling me that by far the best place to put a tank is in scattered trees, because your oppo will have a hard time getting LOS on you, while you can fire out at will... "tree cloaking"?

It might not be the best place, but it certainly ain't shabby concealment. As was demonstrated in one of the very first AARs, there's a depth of tree foliage which provides very good concealment; get too close to the edge of the tree patch and it goes away... This is realistic. You can see out of shady trees from further than you can see into them.

It does look to me like the tree foliage is what is causing your LOS to end. It's difficult to see from that angle. If you look at your target line from above, you might see the colour change as it enters the woods.

The trick is to select the face command for the unit that you wish to inspect an area or contact icon. Next click the spot on the map you wish the unit to spot. The unit will position itself and focus on the contact icon or just the suspect area.

That will just change the direction your unit is facing, it does helps a little to have the possible target head on. Also using the target arc for a particular spot supposedly helps a little. This feature is primarily just for fire control. I don't think it actually makes a unit spot better in the arcs zone.

Also remember to click on the enemy unit to see your highlighted friendly units that have actual LOS to it.

That will just change the direction your unit is facing, it does helps a little to have the possible target head on. Also using the target arc for a particular spot supposedly helps a little. This feature is primarily just for fire control. I don't think it actually makes a unit spot better in the arcs zone.

Also remember to click on the enemy unit to see your highlighted friendly units that have actual LOS to it.

Yes it does, the arc is where the crew or men focus a high percentage of their spotting. it helps get units spotted faster. yes they normally will not fire out of the area . But that is for two reasons, first, they are not spotting out of the arc much, so hard to shoot what you cannot see. second, the AI does not allow it to shoot out of the arc unless it is a considered threat.

I have been theorizing - due to the high trajectory of a Sherman gun it may be possible to find a hull-down position which a high-velocity German gun can't target, while you lob shells at him at your leisure.

I have experimented (with no decisive results so far), you are maybe right to be paranoid :D

Seriously click the face(G) command on the exact area or contact that is in question and it works.

It will have the exact same effect as simply clicking in the direction of the contact. The Face command changes the direction of a unit, not increase spotting ability for a particular tile.

Yes it does, the arc is where the crew or men focus a high percentage of their spotting. it helps get units spotted faster. yes they normally will not fire out of the area . But that is for two reasons, first, they are not spotting out of the arc much, so hard to shoot what you cannot see. second, the AI does not allow it to shoot out of the arc unless it is a considered threat.

Your right, I was thinking of CMx1.

Yes it does, the arc is where the crew or men focus a high percentage of their spotting.

I seem to recall BFC or at least someone who seemed like they orter know, a beta tester, maybe, saying that's not the case, at least for infantry. With tanks, where their best chance of spotting is straight ahead, or if the turret is rotated off centrline, the direction the turret is pointed, a cover arc will rotate the turret to the midpoint of the arc, and so a relevant CA will mean the best optics are pointed at what you want to spot.

It will have the exact same effect as simply clicking in the direction of the contact. The Face command changes the direction of a unit, not increase spotting ability for a particular tile.
Rules say, " Note: the face command is "absolute" to the point you click on the map, not relative to the position of the unit at the time that you click ". Whatever this means?

I agree that this "incident" turned out to be a good demonstration of the superiour realism in CMx2.

My tanks rushed over, trying to get a bead on a Sherm they knew was there, without putting themself in the firing zone. They got thwarted by a tree obscuring their vision. Can't argue with that.

GaJ

This explains why an antitank gun does not see my panzer advancing towards it through the woods,in the mission I am now playing. I think I was playing with tree trunks only showing. Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to Wombie for solving it. This SIM does so many different calculations, it is just awesome. BFC will only continue to refine and improve it, with the upcoming modules...Yeah Baby ..bring on the commonwealth pack