NZ gamer review letter

Pfffft. We did not get him banned, he did.

Why would the onus be on us not to mention him when he himself puts himself about everywhere to make sure everyone is warned off this hideously bad game. He brings it on himself.

If he keeps to his corner of the internet, fine, leave him be. But this pathological quest of his to damage this games' sales makes him fair game.

Pity as I liked his groggery and scenario design (his CMSF Normandy scenario is still one of my favourites) but the man is an insufferable and vindictive tit with a severe Borderline Personality Disorder problem. New Zealand Gamer... really?

Perfect example of FAR too much emotional involvement in the original game, he is acting like a spurned lover who takes any opportunity to attack the rival, it's that, or the posters comment about burger time with his mum that drove him over the edge. Either way pretty pathetic, actually pretty sad really, it is only a game.

Did anyone actually point out to him that the Battle for Normandy didn't take place on the beaches? I mean you know, day one and we were ashore.

I only ask as it seems to be the corner stone of his disgruntlement, despite Cm1 not modelling the landings either.

Did anyone actually point out to him that the Battle for Normandy didn't take place on the beaches? I mean you know, day one and we were ashore.

I only ask as it seems to be the corner stone of his disgruntlement, despite Cm1 not modelling the landings either.

Still, D-day is going to be the first thing that comes to mind when people hear the term "Normandy campaign" and I do think it is a pity that this part was completely left out of the game.

I had to reply...I even registered to do it!!

Yeah - I read his stuff on gamesquad etc - he is, frankly wierd. He seriously needs to get a life somehow and stop acting like a four year old. His review of the game is so obviously biased towards his own pre concieved dislike of the game I can barely understand why he is not embarassed to write it. He has some valid points - none of which werent or havent been acknowledged by BF. Sure we would all have liked landing craft et al but the reasons for not including them have been explained ad nauseum by BF and I accept them.

As for his so called review - a 5 out of ten for this game is so laughable as to make him look silly.

Its amazing how someone I have never met can annoy me so much.

Can we not give MD anymore airtime, he has a view that will not be changed so why bother with him. The review was positive and the game seems to be following the arc of CMSF, so in a few years time it will be the benchmark for this sort of game. People like MD are of little consequence and represent the watercooler critic/pub-bore who has bugger all, or sodding little (both professional managerial terms) experience of that which they pontificate on.

At first I did not know who you were talking about until I followed the link. Once I saw who you were talking about I had a good chuckle.

but the man is an insufferable and vindictive tit with a severe Borderline Personality Disorder problem

I would very much agree with this. ;) Personally, I think he and the others over at Gamesquad are just jealous. They think so highly of themselves and believe themselves to be of such superiour intellect that it pisses them off to no end that someone other than themselves came up with the idea of the CM series of games...plus the fact that BF is doing well with a game they claim is flawed.:rolleyes:

BF was right...he was wrong. That is very difficult for someone with an ego like his to swallow.

Can we not give MD anymore airtime, he has a view that will not be changed so why bother with him. The review was positive and the game seems to be following the arc of CMSF, so in a few years time it will be the benchmark for this sort of game. People like MD are of little consequence and represent the watercooler critic/pub-bore who has bugger all, or sodding little (both professional managerial terms) experience of that which they pontificate on.

Oh...I think we should make fun of him...provides great entertainment.;):D

Apparently, something went on between around 2006 when life called me away from wargaming and 2011 when I picked it back up that resulted in Michael being banned from here. Not motivated to hunt it up and its none of my business anyway.

I've had dealings with Michael over the years and he was always an extremely helpful and friendly guy. His CMx1 scenarios were absolutely brilliant.

I'll say this, just based upon my experience with him, limited to e-mails and playtesting type matters, what he has written is what he actually thinks. He impresses me as someone who would put aside personal bias in order to give what he would consider to be a fair evaluation. I don't believe his reviews to be motivated by personal animus.

The matters he raises in the review are, to me, either niggles which will resolve themselves through the release of more modules and pathces, or necessary compromises that we have to live with; not the game stoppers they apparently are to him.

Let me get my two cents in. I found the Gamesquad forum a few years ago and got so tired of those guys I never go there anymore. To me it wasn't a forum at all but a chat room with 5 or 6 guys taking turns taking swats at anything CM. They seem to feed off themselves and I would say that for grown men (assuming here) to get that vociferous and strident over a computer game that they don't HAVE to purchase is quite frightening.

Personally, I think he and the others over at Gamesquad are just jealous. They think so highly of themselves and believe themselves to be of such superiour intellect that it pisses them off to no end that someone other than themselves came up with the idea of the CM series of games...plus the fact that BF is doing well with a game they claim is flawed.:rolleyes:
Let me correct you there. They think it fundamentally flawed.

BF was right...he was wrong. That is very difficult for someone with an ego like his to swallow.

Not a question of right or wrong. A question of proportion. He doesn't have to like it but he is so hypercritical and hypocritical that it is laughable. But that should not single him out for any unusual ridicule in and of itself.

No, it is this crusade. We get it Dorosh, you don't like it and Steve is a meanie. Move on already! Go play that better and more realistic wargame you have in your head.

Guys, while I don't agree with Mr. Dorosh's views, personal attacks against him here, on a public forum where he can't effectively defend himself, are unfair. I do think it's fine to discuss his public actions and words, and the GameSquad CM forum's as well, but going after him personally isn't right. That sort of kvetching is best done a) in private or B) in a place where Mr. Dorosh can respond.

This is just my personal take on it, of course. Folks who have been attacked in the GS forums more vociferously than I have may have other opinions.

We get it Dorosh, you don't like it and Steve is a meanie. Move on already! Go play that better and more realistic wargame you have in your head.

I've always thought that if he and those other guys over at Gamesquad dislike CMx2 so much and have been harping that point over and over...then they should put their money where there mouth is and create the ultimate wargame. Now one can say those over at said forum are the same guys who have assisted in the production of PCO. You look at any of the wargaming sites...you compare CMBN and PCO thread activity and you notice a major difference. CMBN threads are humming with activity. You can hear a cricket chirp in the PCO threads...including the main forum over at Matrix Games.

I've always thought that if he and those other guys over at Gamesquad dislike CMx2 so much and have been harping that point over and over...then they should put their money where there mouth is and create the ultimate wargame. Now one can say those over at said forum are the same guys who have assisted in the production of PCO. You look at any of the wargaming sites...you compare CMBN and PCO thread activity and you notice a major difference. CMBN threads are humming with activity. You can hear a cricket chirp in the PCO threads...including the main forum over at Matrix Games.

Frankster, I swear if those people over at GS - CM put out a better game than this I will definitely buy it. Doesn't even have to be better, just close. I will buy PCO eventually. I didn't do it now because my war-gaming time is limited and I didn't think I would play it.

Frankster, I swear if those people over at GS - CM put out a better game than this I will definitely buy it. Doesn't even have to be better, just close. I will buy PCO eventually. I didn't do it now because my war-gaming time is limited and I didn't think I would play it.

PCO has it good points. I have not bought it due to its bad ones. I'm waiting to see whether they actually fix those issues. My point however is that MD and those others over at GS do not give PCO the same treatment as CMx2. They are hypocrits when it comes to giving critical views of PCO...they very much hold PCO to a higher pedastal while trashing BF and CMx2. It is because of that I cannot take them very seriously.

Guys, while I don't agree with Mr. Dorosh's views, personal attacks against him here, on a public forum where he can't effectively defend himself, are unfair. I do think it's fine to discuss his public actions and words, and the GameSquad CM forum's as well, but going after him personally isn't right. That sort of kvetching is best done a) in private or B) in a place where Mr. Dorosh can respond.

This is just my personal take on it, of course. Folks who have been attacked in the GS forums more vociferously than I have may have other opinions.

Thanks Phil, I would add a 3rd option c) not at all. The bottom line, for me at least, is that finding fault with another person is the easiest thing in the world to do, unfortunately for the fault-finder the focus is on the wrong person for it to be a beneficial exercise.

Now that I've seen this thread, I'll lock it up. But for the record:

Dorosh has been on a crusade against Combat Mission, Battlefront, and me personally for many years now. It's taken on epic proportions that are humorous at times and other times just pathetic. The more time he spends on his crusade against us the more of his life he wastes. I personally don't understand how someone could squander so much of their life being so negative, but if he wants to waste his limited time on this Earth vilifying a game company, well... it's his choice to make.

Fortunately for us, Dorosh's mean spirited, single minded determination to cause us harm is a wasted effort. His predictions of us going out of business, trashing CMx2 and starting over, etc. have all been humorously proven wrong time and time again. CM:BN is just the latest example of how out of touch with reality he is. And I expect him to continue on like this as he apparently has nothing better to do with his time.

Us? Well, we're pretty pleased with how things are going. CM:BN has already surpassed CMAK's and probably CMBB's first 12 months sales, yet CM:BN has only been on sale for for a bit over 2 months. Reviews are very good, customers are happy, and the future looks bright. If that's Dorosh's definition of failure, then I'd love to see his definition of success. Maybe he could show us by making his own game? Nah, that would require actually doing something. That's not going to happen.

Steve