Single Player Inop. Seriouly, Fix It! (etc)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YD- the demo didn't have the quick battle feature that I always used in CMx1, IIRC. Also, as I said, the money's not the issue. It's the "I didn't get what I wanted for Christmas" that another poster brought up, to be blunt and honest. yes, I know, constructive. I will still buy whatever they turn out unfortunately... but I really hope that some of the previous usefulness is reinstalled.

xian - I hope so

sfhand - dude, I don't sell anything having to do with CM. The little bit of stuff that is sold on my site is for gas guns... and it's not sold by me. The stuff on the CM webpage actually used CM data and credits CM. though you didn't directly accuse me... it's an old sigy link from the days of GOOD CM ;)

rambler - where's my friggin cactus, 'cause I'm gonna start? :) (editorial: doesn't that HURT the hands?!)

tFS - "because CMBN is more complex in almost every single way. Something tells me you just don't understand what you're looking at." That's my point. Why? To perform worse? All I personally use are the Quick Battles. Yeah, when they occasionally get rolling well they are fun. On the hardest or second hardest difficulty level I always get 10:1+ kill ratios. It's clearly not an understanding point though I have not finished the manual read completely. I went to the site thinking you were being serious... um, okay. I guess I'm sorry I insulted your baby. So... what do you think is better in CM2? Clearly the graphics, what else?

akd - just the simple charts of CM1 were fine, though admittedly gamey. a real soldier either knows or doesn't. I can't imagine trying to learn this game and all of those details with this interface. i know that it can’t go into the shatter gaps, differences of different armor packages vs different ammo, etc, that I have spoken with the designers about and studied for years. I have books of all of the data from CM1. I am very impressed by all of that, so why now go with the stupid icon graphics. it's a minor issue and I just wonder why they took out the 'press enter for info' feature. I know for CMSF, but why's it not back for CMBN. Totally agree about CM1 maps not deing very good, especially urban maps. If the AI was better on these many included maps and it didn't take hours to make one of your own (including telling the non-existent, so called 'AI' what to do) I would be happy(er).

JB – I know. As for the ‘stick’ I am guilty of that with CM products. But seriously, it’s worth $55 just to see where it has gone even if I only screw around with it for a few weeks. I have fully patched CMSF and the demo, and my issues are the same, or similar. I know, search, but I knew that my rant wouldn’t be in the search because I hadn’t posted it yet. :)

7th – spectacles: maybe, sure. Not so much buggy, just not finished either. Didn’t like Civ 5 after being fully involved in the franchise since the start, neat, but just too slow on relatively new machines 4 was slow enough, especially once modded.

WC – I thought I was specific in my self admitted rant. I also know that I probably have nothing original to rant about. I only see patch 1.001 (Mac) out so far. I keep checking but haven’t seen and release yet beyond that. Canyon, no problem. Everyone (inc me) is anonymous so they say how they really feel. Even if they’re wrong. :)

MD – I’m fully or at least nearly ‘competent’. If you re-read I didn’t say 20 mins to pick the map I said 20 mins to get to the map. That’s because I have to set up forces for both sides starting at the battalion level and delete all but a platoon or add ad-hoc units to an existing command structure for BOTH sides since the AI ‘suggested’ units never make any sense. And picking the enemy equipment is kind of ridiculous in itself.

YD #2 – yup, you get my viewpoint even if you don’t agree I guess. I was (am) trying to be constructive, and that was the most constructive non-ranty post I could muster at the time. When you post mad it’s going to come through in tone. Steam blown off. To be concise, though I thought I was in the details, I feel that single player quick battles are a non-functional feature of the game and would like them improved for the aforementioned reasons.

(AHH, this is growing faster than I can respond individually!)

Jb – yes, I hope to help even if my tone is annoyed. Yes, a complaint always gets attacked, especially when it’s an angry complaint. Honestly, if people don’t understand my frustration, then they just don’t. The point of the forum IS to affect the game. If so many people have no issue with the game why are they even reading the complaint post? It doesn’t apply to their gaming style apparently or they will just defend it blindly.

Others – thanks for posting regardless of what was said

I knew I was going to get roasted for posting because the people that have just set it aside aren't on the forum because they just don't care or gave up. I’m made complaints, even minor ones before, and someone always wants to tell you you’re an idiot. For my actual reason complaint, SP QBs, does anyone actually think I’m wrong??? Or are the 99% negative posts due to my negative attitude attacking people’s feeling of personal stake in the game (the very reason I felt like making the post)? (It’s a rhetorical question also.) I also wasn't going to post until I gave it a real try. My guess is that the likers are usually MP or prepared SP battlers and the dislikers are usually SP QB types. I am a SP QB type person and find that it is an grossly unfinished project ***IMO***. If you guys like it, I'm glad.

ahh here we go again. 2 days of blissful relief from the juvenile posters was about all we get I guess. Woodwind, yeah good one. That really raised the bar for having a rational discourse.

Oh sorry, didn't realise there was a hierarchy here. Who made you head honcho?

If you were wearing a hat the original post would have knocked it off. Unless it applies to you which going by your attitude arround the forum, it does.

L

I knew I was going to get roasted for posting because the people that have just set it aside aren't on the forum because they just don't care or gave up. I’m made complaints, even minor ones before, and someone always wants to tell you you’re an idiot. For my the actual reason complaint, SP QBs, does anyone actually think I’m wrong??? Or are the 99% negative posts due to my negative attitude attacking people’s feeling of personal stake in the game (the very reason I felt like making the post)? (It’s a rhetorical question also.) I also wasn't going to post until I gave it a real try. My guess is that the likers are usually MP or prepared SP battlers and the dislikers are usually SP QB types. I am a SP QB type person and find that it is an grossly unfinished project ***IMO***. If you guys like it, I'm glad.

Actually most of the reply is just from the tone. Granted we should all try to respond to the content and ignore the form, we'd all probably have a much better level of discourse, but that isn't human nature. I love this game and have been called a "fanboy" and "hardcore BFC defender" etc etc, but that isn't because I disagree the game has some issues (hell BFC agrees otherwise there wouldn't be a patch). It usually comes down to just disagreeing about what is actually broken and what is actually a difference in design that has people on opposite sides of the fence. How rational those differences are discussed is dependent on how respectful we are to one another. joebloggs isn't helping your case as apparently all he wants to do is throw fuel on the fire.

Oh sorry, didn't realise there was a hierarchy here. Who made you head honcho?

If you were wearing a hat the original post would have knocked it off. Unless it applies to you which going by your attitude arround the forum, it does.

L

You know when I was 12 something like this might actually have bothered me for a minute. This is however an open forum and along with all the very rational, humorous and adult discussions (even the heated ones) we have, the law of averages says eventually we will get someone who wants to drags things down to this level.

SB - i never used any terms or labels that you list, just to be clear. I know it's from my tone that I mostly get attacked, I'm not faulting anyone for being annoyed about my tone (though nearly everyone is faulting me for mine) and if that gets my complaint more noticed than cool, I win (which means we all do)... in the form of a better game I hope! abt JB, I know. I didn't think anyone attacked him, I thought it was all at me, but maybe I missed something. I wish we could get over the back and forth insults which i guess I'm too old to understand half of (this is not directed at anyone, just to be clear).

To anyone that says that my complaint is flat wrong: Good news, you wont have to download or install any patches since you already think it's perfect! :)

I have no interest in trying to win an agruement, because what's the other side of the arguement, that the QBs work? I don't think anyone really believes that, they just take that position because it's fun to argue and I have a crappy tone originally.

joebloggs isn't helping your case as apparently all he wants to do is throw fuel on the fire.

No, but my point was proven. It is the attitude, by a minority, towards people around here that ticks me off.

The people who are throwing fuel are the people who assumed I was slating the game. I was making a point.

People should be able to come here without being made to feel small, stupid or inferior. Sadly that is not the case on occasion.

Anyway, better get my homework done. ;) I'm probably old enough to be his father. Perhaps I... No must resist. :D

SB - i never used any terms or labels that you list, just to be clear. I know it's from my tone that I mostly get attacked, I'm not faulting anyone for being annoyed about my tone (though nearly everyone is faulting me for mine) and if that gets my complaint more noticed than cool, I win (which means we all do)... in the form of a better game I hope! abt JB, I know. I didn't think anyone attacked him, I thought it was all at me, but maybe I missed something.

Anyone that says that my complaint is flat wrong. Good news, you wont have to download or install any patches since you already think it's perfect! :)

I have no interest in trying to win an agruement, because what's the other side of the arguement, that the QBs work? I don't think anyone really believes that, they just take that position because it's fun to argue and I have a crappy tone originally.

I wasn't referring to you and sorry if it came across that way. I actually wasn't going to respond to the thread, no offense but I don't think you were looking for a response from the player community. The issue of random maps and impact on the AI has been discussed in detail. If you hadn't seen them and want some links to those threads I'd be happy to help. I doubt however they are really going to make you feel any less frutrated as they are just an explanation as to why things are the way they are and why they aren't likely to change.

It is about a minority of people on the forum who attack anyone who speaks out against the game.

I've been reading about how 'unplayable' and 'fundamentally flawed' the game is since before CMSF was released back in 2007. You frankly grow tired of that sort of clap-trap. And its always the same story. "Blah blah blah... CMx1... Blah blah blah... been playing this game for a half hour... blah blah blah... my life is ruined and I'm going to go hang myself."

No, but my point was proven. It is the attitude, by a minority, towards people around here that ticks me off.

The people who are throwing fuel are the people who assumed I was slating the game. I was making a point.

People should be able to come here without being made to feel small, stupid or inferior. Sadly that is not the case on occasion.

Anyway, better get my homework done. ;) I'm probably old enough to be his father. Perhaps I... No must resist. :D

What point was proven? The OP himself says he deliberately ranted to get a reply. I can state a burning match will hurt if I put it against my skin. So is my skin at fault for hurting? This was posted on the open forum, not in a direct email to BFC and as such it is a thread for discussion, not a complaint directly to the manufacturer.

I understand the OPs frustration, and there isn't much to add or respond to as there are reasons the QB system is designed the way it is, for better or worse. It wasn't as if BFC just looked for a way to piss folks off and there are loads of threads on that subject.

While I do agree we should all try to be a little less thin skinned and wish the responses to the OP not be so negative especially considering the depth of his interest in Cmx1, human nature is what it is and there has been enough rancor on these same topics in previous threads. Heck from the thread title it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how this one was gonna go, just question of whether page 1 would have fanboy, troll, hater etc show up or whether it would take till page 2. The woodwind comment though, well that was kind of new.

By the way love the sig line. ;-)

And another thread gets taken over by ranting f*ckwits.

* Straight out the box (or download) this game is playable (more than that it is very enjoyable)

* There are some issues (some of which the original poster mention and many of which we are assured will be dealt with in the first patch)

* Am I a fanboy? I own and played to death all of the CMx1 titles. I bought and didn't like CMSF when it came out. We parted ways for a while. Just prior to CMBN coming out I reinstalled CMSF (and bought the Brit module). I saw the progress that had been made in the years I'd been absent.

* Battlefront have a really good reputation for supporting their games. There aren't that many games that have forums where the programmers pop in from time to time and take on board useful crits from players.

People should be able to come here without being made to feel small, stupid or inferior.

Well, when someone is acting small, stupid, and inferior, I confess I don't really feel much like coddling their self esteem. If they settle down and start behaving in a civilized and at least semi-rational manner, then I am happy to cut them some slack; and believe me, I do so far more often then you may realize.

Michael

It is all about attitudes and perceptions, both sides of this "argument"(for lack of a better word) seem to feel that their perception of the game is valid and also seem to take the attitude that a opposing view is "hostile" to their perception. I can almost understand this if we were talking about political or religious ideologies....but this is a GAME we are talking about....50-60 bucks isn't something to sneeze at in this economy but seriously some of you might want to examine your priorities....

* Straight out the box (or download) this game is playable (more than that it is very enjoyable)

* There are some issues (some of which the original poster mention and many of which we are assured will be dealt with in the first patch)

* Am I a fanboy? I own and played to death all of the CMx1 titles. I bought and didn't like CMSF when it came out. We parted ways for a while. Just prior to CMBN coming out I reinstalled CMSF (and bought the Brit module). I saw the progress that had been made in the years I'd been absent.

* Battlefront have a really good reputation for supporting their games. There aren't that many games that have forums where the programmers pop in from time to time and take on board useful crits from players.

+1

Every line--I could not have written it better.

It is about a minority of people on the forum who attack anyone who speaks out against the game. It doesn't take long for the bandwagon to start rolling. I had hoped it had crashed.

Great paragraph. Keepin' it real for all the freedom-fighters struggling for justice against BFC's Evil Empire. Hang tough brother, never give up - no matter how asinine or paranoid they say you are.

That's OK. At this point Steve and Battlefront are used to conditional love.

There are three types of people on this forum.

1. Those who love the game no matter and will attack personally anybody who says anything against it.

2. Those who love it because they realise its potential and will help anybody who asks for help in a polite constructive manor.

3. Those who will hate it no matter. I believe the forum elite call them Trolls.

If I am to assume the first line of you post is aimed at me then that would put you in category 1. If it is not aimed at me then I apologise.

My original post at no point says that I hate the game. I couldn't wait for it to be released. I have supported BF for a lot of years and I play CMSF more than any other. The post is aimed at the conduct of those people in option 1 which has been too prevelant on these forums for too long. These are the true FB's I was refering to, not somebody who likes BF games. If liking their games is the definition of FB then I suppose I too am a FB.

There are people here who seem to think that as soon as one person attacks a forum member it is the signal for the rest to crawl out of the woodwork. They all know who they are. There are a few +1, +1, +1....

This is the worst forum that I use, for snidy comments and personal attacks. I come here for info, tips and ideas and to see what bugs have been found and are being addressed. I'm sure most other people do but more and more over the years it has all becomes too personal on occasions.

Anyway, my original post aimed at those in the minority but sometimes others do jump in wanting to be in "the gang"

Am I paranoid? The voices in my head say no!!!!!! ;)

If I am to assume the first line of you post is aimed at me then that would put you in category 1. If it is not aimed at me then I apologise.

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It's was written on returning from a Saturday night in the pub, so I apologise to everyone for the first line - perhaps a bit harsh in retrospect, but I stick by the sentiment. I get annoyed seeing threads devolve down to "us" and "them" rant and counter-rant.

To be honest, looking at the original post, this thread was doomed from the start. I'm going to train myself not to post after being in the pub, and also to not get involved in negative threads. Instead I'll play CMBN. :)

I must say I am finding this thread confusing. Who am I supposed to be hating here: joebloggs or ww2steel?

Joebloggs, I have to take issue with you for calling the forum posters "fan boys". The forum posters who take a different view to yours are not fan boys. The correct term is fanboy. And, on behalf of those forum posters exercising their legitimate rights to flame you, I demand an apology.

And ww2steel, what were you thinking? I admit you may have a valid gripe with the game, and you may have been disappointed with it, but seriously. The other posters are right. You should have done your homework and read widely on this forum. Then you would have realised the futility of making a subjective complaint of what all right thinking people would agree is the best game on the planet.