Single Player Inop. Seriouly, Fix It! (etc)

Sheesh... go away for a weekend and come back to a 10 pager that is similar to another one from last week. It's amazing what one person can do when he flies off the handle with his first post about CM:BN. And yes, that is exactly what ww2steel did. But he seems calmer now, more interested in discussion than ranting, so that's a positive.

At this point in the thread I'll just cover the basics. First, a quote from the initial post:

I liked the first simulation because it was a SIMULATION, not a game. This is a game.

While one can argue about what is a sim and what is a game, and even try to argue that CMx1 was one or the other, there is one thing that is beyond opinion:

There is nothing in CMx1 that is simulated in more detail, with more realism, than is simulated in CMx2. Period. There is absolutely no room for opinion here because it's fact. Therefore, someone who feels CMx2 (in this case CM:BN) isn't as detailed as CMx1 is, quite simply put, uninformed. This is not a flame, this is an explanation of how someone can come to the opposite conclusion of what is factually indisputable.

My advice to you, ww2steel, is to put aside the emotional baggage and ire over things being different and instead look through the Forum for some discussions about particular features. You say you like to do research and deep study, so here's your chance to learn why a statement like this is so utterly off the mark:

I had forgotten about the three man icon, yes, the newer is better as far as more immersive, while practically it makes no difference if the soldats are abstracted or not, I do like the newer feel.

Simulating each individual soldier changes just about everything in the game. The abstractions in CMx1 could not handle nearly the range of actions nor produce the outcomes that CMx2 can. From C2 to Spotting to cause-effect combat to higher fidelity terrain etc., the 1:1 man aspect of CMx2 is a fundamental shift from abstraction to realism that CMx1's "Moe, Larry, and Curley" disallowed.

Now, is that to say everything in CM:BN is perfect? Absolutely not. No game can ever say that. To judge CM:BN, now, as if this is the only way it's going to be is rather unimaginative. It would be like someone checking out the CMBO Beta Demo (the first public display of CM) and thinking "this is as good as it's going to get". With each of the CMBO patches, major improvements in CMBB and many patches, and then the slightly improved and patched more with CMAK, a person with that initial opinion would look less and less credible.

With that said, I'm going to lock up this thread. Diverting so much Forum energy at one person's need to rant is bad for the community. Nothing said here so far hasn't already been said many times before. If ww2steel really has an interest, as he says he does, in being objective... read more of those threads and play the game more. Avoid additional rants. They have a very poor return on investment.

Steve

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic