Why does this game not work?

:mad:

So I wasted my spare time this weekend trying to play this game. Everytime I got going for awhile, the game could freeze up and kick me out to my windows screen. I got a message that stated "CM Normandy.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to setop working correctly..." So, I thought I would try to outsmart the game by saving frequently, but alas, it thought of that too. Now when I try to open a saved game, I get the same freeze and kick out.

I read some of the other posts about memory and how corrupted saved game files will be really small. However, my saved game file is over 1MB and I have 8GB of RAM. So, those should not be an issue. No one at tech support has been able to help either. So, I have a new game running on a new Windows 7 PC that does not work? And no refunds! What a ploy! I should have known better. How anyone else is successfully getting this to work is beyond me.

punisher82001,

There are no known issues that prevent CM from running on any supported system. Therefore, either your system is uniquely cursed or you can get CM to work by following the various tech tips available at the Help Desk.

Personally, my money is on outdated video drivers. Especially if you're running 64bit Win 7. Update your video drivers first and then see what happens.

Steve

Running-then-quitting doesn't sound like a graphics card issue to me (but what do I know?), it sounds like a memory management issue. Do you have anything running in background like Norton? I've reads cursewords associate with Norton products in the past. Are you on a laptop? Perhaps the chip is overheating. I'm out of ideas.

I appreciate that having a sour stomach over such problems is going to make anyone a bit grouchy, but trust me, your problem is not commonplace and no, I do not work for BFC but rather, I think I put their kids through college. :D

What is your CPU/Video Card/Video RAM and OS? Is your machine stable on everything else that puts demands upon it? 8 GB RAM is nice to have but is it well matched to your machine and is all the RAM from the same manufacturer and the same spec? RAM gets cranky when mixed.

My favorite places to start looking when crashes rear their ugly head:

1. Outdated Video driver

2. Outdated Sound driver (yes flukey, but it does happen)

3. Other programs in overhead (Norton was one of the usual suspects but there are others like some screen savers or screen grabbers

4. Overheating, as noted, not restricted to laptops - any system pushed to its limits can overheat. Adequate cooling is a must and you have to have a big enough power supply to feed all those fans and cards.

5. out dated Bios and/or inappropriate boot up ROM settings

6. Overclocking CPU beyond its limits

7. Loose hardware, particularly cards and sometimes RAM not properly inserted

8. Malware you may not even know you have going on in the background (check your active programs and processes in the Task Manager)

9. System OS matched to your CPU and updated to latest verson.

Finally, if it does kick you out with a blue screen, is it at all possible for you to document or snap a photo of the error message(s)?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and no, no one is out to deprive you of your game or your money. The more people here know about your system and the crashes, the more likely you will help them find a solution for your problem(s).

"CM Normandy.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to setop working correctly..."

I had that, once, with the demo, it was caused by a problem with the graphics card. I gave it a blast with compressed air, a good hoover and updated the drivers. Not had any problems since.

Running-then-quitting doesn't sound like a graphics card issue to me (but what do I know?), it sounds like a memory management issue

You're part right... :) I had this problem with the CMSF demo, and a little digging in error messages showed that it was, indeed a memory management issue, on my graphics card! New drivers sorted it for CMSF and have never had a problem in CMBN.

To paraphrase "Graphics cards have memory too." :)

"CM Normandy.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to setop working correctly..."

I had that, once, with the demo, it was caused by a problem with the graphics card. I gave it a blast with compressed air, a good hoover and updated the drivers. Not had any problems since.

A friend of mine was having exactly that problem, couldn't get the game working but the demo worked fine, have you tried the demo?

I have the same problem on my laptop, but not on my PC. Same error as OP, game runs fine for 15 or 20 mins, then game freezes. Bringing up task manager shows the message, "CM Normandy.exe has stopped working". Didnt follow up the problem as the program has been working fine on my PC. Dont have specs offhand, but laptop has ATI Radeon graphics card, PC has Nvidia Geforce.

Regards

OK here is what I wanted to say earlier, but I thought at the time it might be unfair. Don't think so anymore.

Don't you love it when posters (their first one also) complain, describe their problems and moan about the game, and then do not even acknowledge those on the forum who take the time to try helping them with their issues?

OK here is what I wanted to say earlier, but I thought at the time it might be unfair. Don't think so anymore.

Don't you love it when posters (their first one also) complain, describe their problems and moan about the game, and then do not even acknowledge those on the forum who take the time to try helping them with their issues?

Could be the fellow is still at work and has not logged in to see what has happened since his post though I do agree his overall tone could have been better for first post and all.

And I wholly agree with Gunnergoz' list of things to look at as source of the problem. Things you would not think of off the top of your head like inadequate (or cheaply built) power supply, overheating (dust control), mixed memory sticks, poorly seated components, etc. all should be looked at as a possible source of the issue.

I run Win 7 64 Ultimate and do not have such an issue. I am having an issue with game occasionally freezing with some graphics glitch, but this similar problem has arisen with Far Cry 2 and Mass Effect 2 so could be a wonky card issue (drivers were updated and WHQL as of a couple weeks ago)

As some have stated, and I started out with, this sort of crash behavior is consistent with outdated (buggy) video drivers for ATI cards. A graphics driver shouldn't cause such problems, but it does.

There is a memory issue that can crop up while playing, but it doesn't happen often and it is fixed for v1.01. Can't remember now if it is Mac only or PC only or both.

Steve