Check in if you love RT!

Since I'm playing almost exclusively against human opponents I'd like to ask the RT players how you manage to play the game without pauses. My preferred scenario size is around a reinforced infantry company with a platoon of tanks and support units, and there's simply no way I can effectively command that many troops without pausing. In a current 2500pts PBEM I have 28 units to control and I shudder to think commanding them without pauses or replay function. How do you guys do that?

It is not possible for any type of cohesion IMHO. If you can do it lets see a video. Especially on the offense....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In single player, I only use RT, but miss the replays.

In single player, I'd love to see some AI vs AI action, with a little bit of help from 'God'.

In multiplayer, I'm happy with the PBEM, except that all the file transfers should be handled transparently to us 'the user' by Battlefront.

In multiplayer, the RT should be pauseable.

In multiplayer, Battlefront should have an in-game matchup system in place. It's 2011 and not 1991.

In single player, I only use RT, but miss the replays.

In single player, I'd love to see some AI vs AI action, with a little bit of help from 'God'.

In multiplayer, I'm happy with the PBEM, except that all the file transfers should be handled transparently to us 'the user' by Battlefront.

In multiplayer, the RT should be pauseable.

In multiplayer, Battlefront should have an in-game matchup system in place. It's 2011 and not 1991.

+ 1 fellow Canuck :)

And RT involves zero S. imo

really? "Zero" a little rough.. lol

RT IMO simulates "once the bullets starts flying, the plan goes out the window". TB is more controlled. It more accurately simulates the generals in the ivory tower who 2nd guess, analyze, and expect men on the ground to react to everything. And whom wants to be able to magically interject at every crossroad in the battle. But that's just me. :)

really? "Zero" a little rough.. lol

RT IMO simulates "once the bullets starts flying, the plan goes out the window". TB is more controlled. It more accurately simulates the generals in the ivory tower who 2nd guess, analyze, and expect men on the ground to react to everything. And whom wants to be able to magically interject at every crossroad in the battle.

Depends really, if you're using pause more than once a minute during combat then you're actually getting more control than with wego. Even if you don't use it that often you still have the hugely useful option of pausing the second something goes wrong whereas with wego you have to sit and watch with no control for up to a minute. Of course, if you're talking multiplayer or you never use pause then none of that applies. It is definitely harder to keep track of everything in rt though, if you miss something then theres no rewind to check out what happened.

And like many others, the favourite thing about wego for me is the replays. I just enjoy them too much to make the switch to rt.

Real-time has just as much strategy involved. The only significant strategic difference is that with WeGo you have to issue commands knowing that if all hell breaks lose you won't be able to do anything about it until the next turn. So WeGo players are probably a little more conservative when making their moves, but that doesn't mean real-time is absent of strategy.

If you want to play large scenarios in RT, play them on a wide screen TV. My 108" Sony Bravia is magic for getting a "seeable" overview.

In WEGO you have the ability to sit down and plan and plot in infinite detail where troops will go and what they will do when they get there. Once the action starts however you are a spectator.

In RT you have to be a bit more general because you need to issue commands quickly BUT you have the ability to refine specific units based on the changing situation.

That is why RT wins hands down for me it is about your ability to think and act clearly and quickly under pressure which I love.

Either way there is a great deal of strategy and tactics involved in both styles of play WEGO must be able to think ahead, RT must be able to assess and react quickly. To say one is better that the other is not really a valid point.

Besides, this thread is for the RT'ers to tell each other how awesome we are, WEGO scum can SOD OFF :D

If you want to play large scenarios in RT, play them on a wide screen TV. My 108" Sony Bravia is magic for getting a "seeable" overview.

In WEGO you have the ability to sit down and plan and plot in infinite detail where troops will go and what they will do when they get there. Once

Besides, this thread is for the RT'ers to tell each other how awesome we are, WEGO scum can SOD OFF :D

Exactly! Except I don't know how strong SOD OFF is. Hopefully not too strong...

Bobo

Hehe, by all means, have at my it friends, enjoy your thread. ;)

Just be aware that anytime the wego'ers care to take back this or any thread from you RT boys and girls we need only throw some pennies in a corner and off you'll scurry chasing your shiny object not to be seen again for several hours.

Hehe, by all means, have at my it friends, enjoy your thread. ;)

Just be aware that anytime the wego'ers care to take back this or any thread from you RT boys and girls we need only throw some pennies in a corner and off you'll scurry chasing your shiny object not to be seen again for several hours.

True enough but we can take it back again by waiting until this turn ends then you will be dithering over your next move for DAYS during which we can enjoy our thread which moves along as nature intended.

Oh and if you want me to chase pennies, best make 'em Aussie coin cos the yankee stuff ain't worth bubkus to us.

John Johnson, Narsus, Bobo, you blokes are awesome !

(btw Sod off is quite mild, G rating)

+1

I could not agree more.

(I'm on MSN Messenger. Add me and maybe we can play some RT some time. I'm on the U.S. East Coast and play mostly small or tiny battles of the 30 minute variety. :D

black_rabbit_of_inle at hotmail dot com)