Where to find human opponents, clubs, ladders...

You can of course post here in this forum.

However, there are clubs of gamers where you'll have a much better chance of an audience guaranteed to want a game and more likely to finish it. It's a sad fact that the drop rate for games "with a stranger off the street" is high.

Each club has it's own emphasis and feel. Some major variables are the range of games played and the competitiveness of the place (how much of a "ladder club" is it").

Off the top of my head, I know about:

We Band Of Brothers

This is the one I like, where I hang out mostly. It is "BFC WWII Combat Mission Only" in terms of games played, and in the middle of the range of "competitiveness". Players are ranked, but it's not a "ladder club" with a fierce battle for who's at the top.

It has a very strong emphasis on completing games that are started. If you drop games, you're out ... so you know that generally when you get an opponent at WeBoB your game is going to complete (there are _always_ exceptions no matter what, of course :S )

They regularly run tournies (friendly) and have a "challenges" forum for opponent finding. The only slight downside is that the signup process for this group is a bit involved. This is to make sure that members really will finish their games.

The Scenario Depot

This is "the" place on the web for CMx1 scenarios, and it also has a friendly opponent finder function. Totally not a competitive place.

The Few Good Men

I know less about this group. There are some well known CMx1 figures who hang out here. They have a forum and a ladder. They play at least all the BFC games, and a few others.

Appui Feu

A French online wargaming club - one of the biggies on the internet. There are English speakers there too :)

World At War

I don't know much about this one.

HTH. Maybe others will add more. If you like PBEM, it's definitely worth checking some of these out.

How about a sticky, save us from posting this daily :D

GaJ

Thanks for this.

Could you please add also Punta de Lanza, one of the biggest CM fan sites of the Spanish speaking community. We also speak English and welcome all nationalities! :D

www.puntadelanza.net

This site runs competions of all sorts, and is big in all CM game series. Punta de Lanza also hosts many other Wargames and there is a good forum to discuss our favourite hobby and/or find opponents outside the regular competitions, for pbem or whatever you fancy. Other games hosted in the site are: War in the Pacific, Close Combat, War in the East... but we also have a big community around many other miscellaneous games like the Slitherine series, Dominions, BloodBowl and many more...

http://www.puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/

Punta de Lanza is also proud to have one of the best AAR sections around, you can waste away hours on end in its AAR section just reading and looking at the detailed graphic reports of some of our players.

Leto;1273691']The blitz has a ladder for CM. I don't play there anymore, as I am a WeBob member. I can attest to the awesomeness of that club with respect to fair gaming and dealing with "game droppers".

Cheers!

Leto

Blitz will have a CMBN ladder quite soon,too.You are more than welcomed to join it,Pete ;)

Cheers,

Raz.

GreenAsJade, if you want you can add a description for WaW: World at War is a site for wargaming (Combat Mission, Steel Panthers, War in the Pacific, Theatre of War, The Operational Art of War III and others) and history, especially of the Second World War. They have a forum and a ladder.

Is surrendering considered "completing" a game? I hate to keep playing when victory is impossible.

As you can imagine, this is a topic of some debate.

Surrendering does often count: note that after you surrender, your opponent gets to submit the high score that you gave them.

For this very reason, surrendering is somewhat frowned upon. Why stop playing just when your opponent is enjoying the success of your plan? And why give them that high score: your job is to fight them as best you can: is all hope really lost?

In some Tournies, because of the effect of giving a high score to your opponent, surrendering is specifically forbidden: you have to deny your oppo every point you can.

In casual gaming actually its rare to have an opponent who enjoys griding you into the dust, so a surrender, or even a ceasefire can generally be negotiated once it's clear that the outcome has been totally determined.

The one thing that is totally not OK is just stopping returning files when you start losing... you'd be _amazed_ how often people suddenly "get busy with work" when a game goes pear shaped....

GaJ

• 4 weeks later...