Huzzar!

Played this one last night. I don't know who made this map but I'd like to congratulate them. I had a genuine 'WoW' moment. I only went in to look at it and started playing it and couldn't stop. It's truly a fantastic map that shows off the new game at it's best.

I don't want to spoil it, but it has everything. Close in infantry fighting, nail biting ambushes and even 1500 meter tank duels.

It's a long time since I've enjoyed a scenario like that one. Stupidly I had it set on RT as well, which is probably not ideal for this map.

Anyway, well done to the author for a fantastic scenario on a brilliant map.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw shucks :)

Always nice to be appreciated!

@Wiggum - I did three scenarios in total for CMBN. Huzzar; Carbide Carbide; Busting The Bocage. TBH the quality of all the scenarios in the game is evry high I think. All the guys have really got to grips with creating scenarios both using the editor and creating AI Plans. Whatever you play in CMBN I reckon you'll have a grand time!

Cheers buddy :)

That's ma baby - glad you enjoyed it.

Aye, I should have guessed actually. Probably one of the best scenarios Ive seen for CM-2, and dare I say it the best map Ive ever seen in any CM game period.

Keep up the good work mate.

P.S.

How long did the map take to make?

Aye, I should have guessed actually. Probably one of the best scenarios Ive seen for CM-2, and dare I say it the best map Ive ever seen in any CM game period.

Keep up the good work mate.

P.S.

How long did the map take to make?

Well thnaks mate :) I must admit I like the contrast between the sneaky pete sort of start, advancing to contact then the close in fighting latter in the scenario. I'm thinking about creating a monster map but with small armoured units both sides on more open terrain. Not historical but I'm keen to play around on Ost Front terrain with this game.

The map in Huzzar took a long time. I must admit I never kept note of the time but yeah probably about five days work - 45 hours min. The time is taken up with creating all the fields and bocage network. Maps in CMSF took way less time mainly because the terrain was more open. That's another reason we had fewer standalone scenarios in the release as the maps just took us way longer to create. Still the three campaigns (including Paper Tigers superb one) and all their scenarios more than make up for it.

I´ll just have to join the chorus: I´ve spent quite some time admiring the map of this scenario, even though I haven´t played it yet.

With CMBN I´m like a kid in a candy store and everything just looks fantastic. So right now I´m saving the juiciest bits for later. But I´m really looking forward to playing it. :)

This is a huge battle and 1:30h.... and basically I don’t like huge map and long play times more than 1 h. But this one is epic, it’s worth the loading time and it is full of action until the last minute. George has done a terrific job here and created a new standard for large battles.

There are a tremendous group of talented and creative people in this hobby. I've enjoyed so many of George' scenarios and maps in CMSF. He ranks right up there in the top three. I'm very much looking forward playing his CMBN scenarios.

@George

I would love to hear your process in creating these wonderful maps. I'm currently working on a map in CMSF and would welcome any advice, any thoughts on how to go about making them so realistic.

There are a tremendous group of talented and creative people in this hobby. I've enjoyed so many of George' scenarios and maps in CMSF. He ranks right up there in the top three. I'm very much looking forward playing his CMBN scenarios.

@George

I would love to hear your process in creating these wonderful maps. I'm currently working on a map in CMSF and would welcome any advice, any thoughts on how to go about making them so realistic.

Re making maps. If you can work from a RL example - helps initially. I work in the outdoors so I'm used to seeing landsscapes all the time. I'm also pretty interested in why the landscape is as it is. This helps I guess when creating this digital reality.

So a few wee pointers - roads and tracks are made for reasons i.e. to go from point A to point B. Also roads will tend to follow the lay of the land, so if there are bends in your road, ask yourself why? Is it due to steep ground, farmland etc. Also the devil is in the detail. It is very eays to create a map but spend the time checking over it, correcting small errors and adding small touches like flavour objects etc.

Hope this helps.

George, great work as always, beautiful map, will play that one again and again.

One question, I may have missed it in the scenario brief but why are the Germans trying to seize a bridgehead when they already have forces across the river (recon elements)?

This is truly a great scenario! I played it it in WeGo as there is a "bit" too much to handle in RT for my tastes. I'm finding that I like the larger battles in CMx2 better than I did in the CMx1 series. It's just a better game all-around IMO. Probably due to superb map making/AI plan by the developers and the fact that BF gave them excellent tools to work with :)

Great Job! I look forward to playing it again!

George, great work as always, beautiful map, will play that one again and again.

One question, I may have missed it in the scenario brief but why are the Germans trying to seize a bridgehead when they already have forces across the river (recon elements)?

Glad ya liked it :) Pretty chuffed as it took a while to put this one together.

Possible Spoilers

#

#

#

#

#

#

The Germans need the 60 ton bridge for their heavy armour. I thought the recce elements could well have used a shallow ford or small back lanes that the larger and heavier armour cannot use. Hence they are on the other side of the river - also they would be probing ahead to locate any enemy forces heading into their AO.

This is truly a great scenario! I played it it in WeGo as there is a "bit" too much to handle in RT for my tastes. I'm finding that I like the larger battles in CMx2 better than I did in the CMx1 series. It's just a better game all-around IMO. Probably due to superb map making/AI plan by the developers and the fact that BF gave them excellent tools to work with :)

Great Job! I look forward to playing it again!

Thank you :)

I have played both Carbide Carbide and Huzzar! and without a doubt the quality of detail and depth of map work and AI planning in both are superb. Excellent work!

Thanks George! They are two FANTASTIC scenarios! (I am sure Busting the Bocage is spectacular as well, but I have not played it yet.)

Who thought this map could turn into everything I was looking for in CM Normandy? :-) In the moment I`m defending three spots and therefore have to rewind three times just to don`t miss any action. Who thought that this 1,5 hour battle keeps you busy for one day?

I`m more of a QB guy, so I haven`t played many scenarios yet, but (following my former posters) I also have to point out that you hit the mark pretty, pretty well with this map!

Actually for the first time I feel like I play a Normandy map. Most of the others I have seen until now could be anywhere. Really very nice... shallow hills, dirt roads and sparsely placed bushed and small trees close to streets and not just concrete highways and bocage next to it. Wow.

Last year I visited Normandy, thanks for bringing back this feeling and the atmosphere!

+50 to all the rave reviews of this map!

But can I again beg for this map to be posted separately on the repository, so that we would be able to open it in the editor and see how George MC worked his magic? It would be a tremendous help to budding CMBN mapmakers.

You can open it in the editor as it is. I was doing exactly that a little while ago because I wanted to have a look at how George worked the elevations in the map.

Actually, There might be a problem. When I opened it again just now it was all messed up in 3-D preview mode - everything was blocky and corrupted looking. Anyone else had this when opening a scenario in the editor?

Aside from this occasional weirdness the map's a beauty. George, how did you work the elevations? Are you using a topo map from somewhere or is it all you?

But it would also be nice to be able to use it for QBs (unless it's in there already too).

So splitting it out as a separate map would be nice, and also make it customizable if someone wanted to do that for some reason.

I guess you could always go in and simply delete all the units if it's just the map you wanted to use. I've done this in the past for my own entertainment. If you were wanting to use it for a QB against the AI I guess that would be different as you would obviously have to set up some plans for them.