Attention!! Mac users look here!!

NOTE!!! If you have downloaded your full copy starting mid day Wednesday (US EST) or later, there's a good chance you will not need to follow the instructions in this post. How will you know? Try licensing and if it works you're all set, if it doesn't then come back to this thread and follow the instructions for the Hotfix. By Thursday (US EST) no new customers should have to use the Hotfix.

----

If you have downloaded the full version of CM:BN for the Mac, you will notice that you aren't allowed to register. Murphy (you know, the guy who makes laws) apparently thought it would be hilariously funny to change a 2 digit variable in a particular file in the DRM SDK in a way that wouldn't be uncovered by our testers. And even funnier... to do it a couple of days before we made the Gold Master. I know, I know... we think Murphy is quite a character too. Love that guy.

What is the solution to this problem? A newly uploaded Hotfix for Mac users only.

The following instructions are much easier to follow than they look, but be sure to follow them carefully:

1. Download 25MB Hotfix Download from here and UNZIP it to any location you can easily find.

2. You see a new "CM Battle for Normandy" application file.

3. Right Click (or Control+Click) on the new application and select the "Show Package Contents" option. A new window will come up. Put it to one side so you won't lose track of it.

4. Go to the folder where you installed the full version of Combat Mission to on your harddrive, Right Click (or Control+Click) on the old application "CM Battle for Normandy", and select the "Show Package Contents" option. For whatever reason a new window comes up RIGHT ON TOP of the one from Step 3. Move it aside so you can see both, but make sure you know which one is which.

5. Navigate into Contents->Resources directory in both of the two application contents windows. You will notice all kinds of other stuff there and you should ignore it. What you're looking for is the "Data" and "Game Files" folders in the installed application's package contents. These folders are also in the the hotfix application, but are empty.

6. Move the "Data" and "Game Files" folders from the installed application to the hotfix application. This will replace the empty ones after you approve the move. Close up both package contents windows for both applications.

7. Move the installed application out of your CM folder, move the hotfix application into the CM folder.

8. Double click on the newly moved hotfix application and you should see the registration window. Enter your key and everything should be fine.

9. Once you are 100% up and running, but not before (in case you make a mistake!), you can throw out the older installed application file (should be about 25MB in size).

Thanks and sorry for the FUBAR!

Steve

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Navigate into Contents->Resources directory in both of the two application contents windows. You will notice all kinds of other stuff there and you should ignore it. What you're looking for is the "Data" and "Game Files" folders in the installed application's package contents. These folders are missing from the hotfix application, so it should be easy to know which is which.

No, they're not. They're empty, though. Just FYI for anyone who's getting confused.

At least the fix works.

Cheers, although still downloading. I'll give Murphy a quick slap next time I see the little blighter...

Incidentally, because of this did BFC delay the emails going out to Mac pre-orders? I have not received an email yet - although I've been checking the forum more than my inbox recently so it's a moot point to be honest. :-)

No, they're not. They're empty, though. Just FYI for anyone who's getting confused.

AH! I misunderstood something (I don't have the hotfix for myself yet). I'll change the text.

Thank you I am up and running but is there anyway to get the application icon back. Mine is missing!?

This is a MacOS thing. We had this happen to us the other day, but it comes back eventually. Seems the image is cached somewhere and it suddenly appeared again.

Steve

I didn't need it - just clicked on the link provided in the email I received after placing the pre-order. Sent me to the download section, with the key already loaded in (nice touch) and then away I went.

At 40kB/s for 7 hours. :-(

Before I went to work. :-)

I didn't need it - just clicked on the link provided in the email I received after placing the pre-order. Sent me to the download section, with the key already loaded in (nice touch) and then away I went.

Same here once I remembered to look in the pre-order acknowledgement.

At 40kB/s for 7 hours. :-(

About two and a half hours for me, which was alright as I had other things to do not involving the computer. When I came back, all was done.

Michael

PS: Qualify that last sentence. I haven't jumped through the Hotfix hoop as yet. I tend to put off extra crap like that as I resent having to do it.

Game won't load after I insert my license key. Have applied the hotfix.

a bit frustrating...

Does not work for me either.

I have applied the hotfix as per instructions and the game seems to accept my license key ok but then the game does not load nor quit unless I force a quit.

When I force a quit and try to re-run the game it asks for my license key again.

btw, the text still refers to "CMSF" when you click on CMBN in the command bar. Maybe I'm playing the wrong game :)

Does not work for me either.

I have applied the hotfix as per instructions and the game seems to accept my license key ok but then the game does not load nor quit unless I force a quit.

When I force a quit and try to re-run the game it asks for my license key again.

btw, the text still refers to "CMSF" when you click on CMBN in the command bar. Maybe I'm playing the wrong game :)

I learned to put in the license key, have it accept it, and then close that window. Then, I was able to start up the game. Easiest when your CM Battle for Normandy stays on the dock.

The hotfix also worked for me, though when I first tried it on my way underpowered machine it hung after watching the briefing and asked me for the license key again when I tried to launch it on that machine again. I then quit out of the first page and relaunched and it didn't ask for the key. I'm sure if I wait long enough my video chip will catch fire.

When I tried it on my sufficiently powered machine it worked fine.