Need "Target Armor" Command for AT guns

+1 We indeed urgently need a way to order AT assets to hold fire on infantry. I would also prefer if infantry and mg units hold fire on tanks with small arms until ordered to target a specific tank. Its kinda frustrating to see grunts almost harmlessly banging away on a tank several hundrets of meters away revealing their position to be liquidated by the tank in return.

Just played with AT guns for the first time last night...

Yep. Add me to the list on this one. This is a real problem. If some sort of cover armor arc cannot be added, then I think the best solution is to tweak the AI for units like AT guns so they're much less likely to open up on enemy infantry unless (a) specifically ordered to do so with a manual target order, or (B) in danger of being overrun (enemy infantry within ~200m or so). Right now, AT guns seem happy to open up on spotted enemy infantry at ranges of over 400m. This makes it very tricky to coordinate AT ambushes in WEGO, and means that when you're playing against the AI, you can effectively use infantry as AT-gun bait.

Wrt infantry firing on tanks, this doesn't bother me as much as generally am very aggressive about forcing enemy armor to button up with small arms fire. However, it does seem that infantry is unnecessarily aggressive and willing to use a large volume of fire on an unbuttoned AFV. So far, several times I've seen MG42 teams pretty much unload on the front glacis of an unbuttoned Sherman, which of course gets them spotted. Perhaps the solution is to tweak the AI so that infantry units take only occasional, carefully aimed shots at unbuttoned enemy armor (simulating sniping at the TC), which should make it harder for the tank to spot the infantry, while still probably compelling the TC to button up.

The latter part of this post is v. important too. Very irritating for infantry to expose themselves for no reason when they can do NOTHING to an enemy tank. Maybe they could code it so infantry only engage at grenade range or whatever the ideal range is for any AT weapons they are carrying (fausts, etc.). By default that is. Obviously there are some instances where you would want to gamble an infantry squad on the off chance of killing the TC... or if you're facing an open-topped SPG or something like that.
Some beta testers are (again) looking at this specific issue, as it was tweaked to some degree by Charles a few Betas back, given what we have spotted and reported then, originally. The re-look at the issue could be before release, or after thereof (during patch time).

Didn't Winecape just state this a few posts back? It's on the to do list, but it might have to wait until the next 'major' release whatever that means.

Sorry, you are right. I think that means. "East Front" CM Battle of the Bulge or wathever...

I too would like to see this, but even more important than the armoured covered arc is the infantry firing at tanks thing. I was astonished in the first turn of encountering a number of tanks in one go at the amount of bullets flying around and everyone giving themselves away. I thought they would be smarter ... CMx1 troops would never fire at a tank unless ordered.

Mind you, this underlines the principle that troops should always be given covered arcs to avoid accidents ... seems to apply in CMBN as much as CMx1 (where the first thing I would do is give everyone a covered arc).

GaJ

Do we have an "Official answer" about this?

Like is in the "to do list", or it's impossible becouse it means a deep engine modification...

Or already done!!!!

Read my post earlier. That IS the official answer from BFC. Which means, roughly around the Battle of the Bulge family for Armor Arcs. Obviously, BFC did not promise it will be in, but they will then have a re-look at this aspect, together with the UI re-design to accommodate this possible feature, as it needs to tie in properly with the TacAi elements + lotsa testing thereof.

Wondering if a simple user-controlled toggle would be do-able? For AT guns, the toggle would be "fire on infantry". Would work the same as other toggles in the game, such as the hatch toggle for armor (i.e. AI can override the toggle by necessity). Likewise, for small arms, the toggle would be "fire at armor". This would avoid the labor of having to do covered arcs for all the troops. You could simply select all your troops, hide them, and then toggle them to not fire at armor. Of course, AI could always do the self-preservation override so no unrealistic effects.

..... but even more important than the armoured covered arc is the infantry firing at tanks thing. I was astonished in the first turn of encountering a number of tanks in one go at the amount of bullets flying around and everyone giving themselves away. I thought they would be smarter ... CMx1 troops would never fire at a tank unless ordered. GaJ
Beta testers are looking (again) at this issue - it has been tweaked before by Charles in earlier betas if memory serves - and they will decide what to do about it, hopefully by patch time, depending on other issues and their ranking on the ToDo patch list. In short, BFC is aware of this.