Trees+wind= massive FPS drop

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a solution because it's a self-induced problem. Using the Best 3d Quality does precisely that, at the expense of speed, so you are getting what you are asking for.

Maybe BFC should just remove the Improved, Better and Best 3d Quality options if it breaks the game so badly.

Honestly Sergei, I have no idea why you put up this smart-ass attitude. Already in the general performance thread all you had to say was "no, you're wrong". I always respected you as a forum member and your contributions for CM, but I simply can't understand your reasoning here, and I'm slowly getting tired of trying to explain to you what you obviously don't want to understand.

Honestly Sergei, I have no idea why you put up this smart-ass attitude. Already in the general performance thread all you had to say was "no, you're wrong".

Compare these shots and FPS scores:

BRnLx.jpg

VjUv5.jpg

Sozkl.jpg

They are all taken in the editor using No Wind, Balanced 3d Quality and the exact same spot and view angle - I have only gone to Deployment mode and back so that the camera angle doesn't change (only tree placements change randomly in the editor). All settings are the same, yet there is a huge difference in FPS. Why shouldn't I doubt your test results?

There is a difference between performance variation due to trees being redrawn a bit different every time you enter the 3d world and the performance loss due to wind and moving trees.

Your system specs (considering your FPS) seem lower than mine, so you see greater differences in performance depending on the number of high-LOD models in view.

On my system these variations are in the range of less than 10-20%. With maxed out grafics.

When I enable wind then FPS in the same scene drops by up to 75%.

Ok, i get Sergei's point. The FPS can be different while viewing different spots in the forest from different angles. I get a difference from ~10 FPS.

But the camera movement always feels smooth with no lag with gentle wind.

Flying through the forest at low level gives me ~25 FPS !

The difference between gentle and heavy wind is that with heavy wind i get constant low FPS while "flying" through the woods at low level.

Mostly 10 FPS and below !

So, wind has a huge impact on performance anyway !

Its a problem Battlefront needs to fix !

As the one who started it let me make it clear that all I wanted is BFC taking a look at it. Nothing more. And since Sgt Joch mentioned they already do I'm happy. If they think they can/need to fix it they will do so. If not, well, then I guess I'll just play without wind.

The BFC guys are doing a great job, and I certainly have no intention to tell them how to do their job.

I just got a bit surprised when Sergei repeatedly denied that there even might be a problem at all.

EDIT:

But then I should've known better. There are two golden rules: don't get involved in a land war in Asia. And don't argue with a Finn about trees.

;)

BFC doesn't need to license Speedtree technology.

The tree rendering in CM:N is just fine, it's only the movement of trees in heavy winds that cause such a drastic performance loss.

I suppose SpeedTree not only renders static trees but also trees that are moving due to wind, and then I guess they do it rather optimized, otherwise they should be called SlowTree? ;) Anyway, the trees in CM:BN actually looks better than I had hoped for so as you say, it's mainly the movement due to wind that is a problem. Not that I think the performance is bad anyway - but I have a high end rig and compare the performance with CM:SF version 1.0 :)

BFC doesn't need to license Speedtree technology.

The tree rendering in CM:N is just fine, it's only the movement of trees in heavy winds that cause such a drastic performance loss.

I wonder whether the foliage movement causes the game engine to constantly recompute LOS for some parts of the units on map? That would be extremely nasty.

Basic editor map size filled with trees on highest wind setting gets me 8 fps when moving and 20 when static. Without wind I get 40 FPS. settings are on best.

I also messed around with the in game graphics settings and the lower settings give me better FPS, especially when wind is involved because it draws less trees that can be affected by the wind visually.

GTX 470, I7 quad core at 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs of ram

Perhaps having foliage moved by wind should be made a separate toggleable graphics option, like shadows currently are.

True, but then again with LOF being tied to the 3d model, that might mean the difference of whether or not the foliage intercepts incoming rounds or not. I dont really think it really hinders realism one way or the other, and for all I know I could be wrong in this instance. But this game has a tendency to skew towards the over-meticulous when it comes to LOS-LOF calculations.

Currently not all trees wave with the wind, only those close to you. However, close depends on what setting you have your LOD. Best just happens to have the most trees waving, but that is still only a 40-50 meter radius. So the visual effect being turned off shouldn't have any effect on gameplay.