Are the sounds in the demo still place holders?

sure erwin, but when you see it like that the game would only need a set of red textures for enemy personel and vehicles and a blue one for friendly. the rest can be done by the modders...or no!?

houses and landscape could be "gray" or "orange" as example.

anyone here that played CMSF who can tell me if the sounds changed? i downloaded the demo houers ago but i was at kendo training and just came back through a bad rain, had to dry my cycle and lube it and make sure no rust will harm it and now i am pretty demotivated to do anything other then eat and relax.

i will check out the demo in a few houers possibly but till then id like to know if i will be greeted with CMSF sounds or unique new ones. i am quiet picky bout sounds i have to say.

To me the MG42 is not distinct. You would not really recognise it as a GI on the ground if it was being fired at you.

I'm finding it hard to tell the different weapons sounds from each other. Which is not so in other ww2 games I play.

I know that some games (sturmovik) have pretty plain sounds because the recording is so complex when it comes to doppler effects etc in the sound engines.Don't know exactly how that make sense though.

As you say though. Modders may even have something out before release.

The training mission Sherman engine sound sounded very much the same as in SF. It's not that big deal as most sounds seem to be new, but still a bit annoying

Ya I noticed this too.

TBH not that concerned about it, sound mods will come out within a couple months for all the vehicles and infantry and guns etc.

well i blew through the training mission now, i spotted some sounds from CMSF.

sherman sounds like T55 or some other RED tank. the mortars have the same sound as in CMx1. the arty spotting voice sounds are from CMSF. the panzerschreck sounds like a CMSF launcher, but i cant tell which one.

.50cal sound is also from CMSF, but its the same weapon so that ok.

the german voices seem to be new, they dont sound like CMx1 ones to me. i liked them from what i could hear while watching them getting wasted(especially liked "Kamerad, nicht schießen") :D

all in all that is not so bad, i dont think they will change from demo to full version though.

EDIt:

tomorrow i will play the german side in the tutorial, and later one some real battles, check out the panther sounds and whatnot. if i find more i post it here.

hehe...they're like that in CMSF too....

:D

Yes, I have played cmsf from the start and actually do realise this. After ten years of listening to the same voices I was expecting some new ones. It's not exactly game breaking. I take it then that these will be he final sounds.

@Abrams

I downloaded the Youtube mg42 and the other sound. I have original mp40 sounds and stg44 sounds on my PC. I will try to make a sound mod with real weapon sounds. Who want to help me, would be nice. May be, I will do a voice sound mod for the germans too. But at first Weapons and Explosions.

I thought I recognised the Sherman engine sound! No idea how many other AFVs have that radial engine.

I was also a bit surprised to hear the same US fire control dialogues and sounds - don't think WWII fire control procedure or voice comms quality/protocols were the same as in mid-naughties.

As for the what the infantry say, I haven't really got close enough yet to notice - anything above company-level engagements in RT are mostly played at camera level 3-4, since otherwise I don't have enough control. Has been the same through CM, CMSF, CMA and now CM:BN.

Still, these minor sound remarks aside, CM:BN seems another excellent step forward in tactical wargaming from Battlefront.

R

@Abrams

I downloaded the Youtube mg42 and the other sound. I have original mp40 sounds and stg44 sounds on my PC. I will try to make a sound mod with real weapon sounds. Who want to help me, would be nice. May be, I will do a voice sound mod for the germans too. But at first Weapons and Explosions.

Great idea , but , as far as skills to make mods .. I have no idea how to change the sound files ...

But , yes , since we have individual soldiers now , hearing the very distinct sounds differences of the MG42 and the BAR and the 1917's and 1919's and the very different sounds of the different SMGs in action would just make this game even more orgasmic :cool:

I do have a comments on the SFX.

I do think the raw samples sound good overall, but there is no ambience so they all sound too "up front" to me, and not enough depth of field. I think they would be better with even a bit of reverb added even though I know there is no actual environmental sound engine, which of course would be just awesome.

Sounds for CMx1 were very good...for back in 2000. I find them to be greatly lacking in CMSF and it appears so again in CMBN. The Battlefield series has the best sound in games IMO (esp. BFBC2). And for those who think it's only big game studios like EA, check out the sound in Red Orchestra:Ostfront. The sound is so good in that game you can look past the graphics. I hate it when games ignore sound (i.e. ARMA series - terrible sound). Any way to take the sounds from RO and 'mod' them for CMBN? No reason this game can't have it all.

Sounds for CMx1 were very good...for back in 2000. I find them to be greatly lacking in CMSF and it appears so again in CMBN. The Battlefield series has the best sound in games IMO (esp. BFBC2). And for those who think it's only big game studios like EA, check out the sound in Red Orchestra:Ostfront. The sound is so good in that game you can look past the graphics. I hate it when games ignore sound (i.e. ARMA series - terrible sound). Any way to take the sounds from RO and 'mod' them for CMBN? No reason this game can't have it all.

Is it possible to rip, convert and transfer the sounds from them to CMBN?

Is it possible to rip, convert and transfer the sounds from them to CMBN?

Mebbe... the only thing with cmx2 sounds is that machine gun sounds are recorded as a single bullet sound that the game then repeats as necessary depending on the ROF of the gun in question. When you listen to the sound files the single bullet sound pretty decent - but when one sound is played repeatedly in quick succession (in theory this should work as this is basically what happens in real life) the sound engine seems to take away the mid/bass range and you get that high end sound that sounds like a tapping noise. Its really hard to get around this but Im sure some clever sod will mod it at some point :rolleyes: