Historical WWII fiction in Normandy?

I believe that any novel taking place during the Normandy campaign would be historical fiction by definition.

A great biography to read from the period is 'The Guns of Normandy', by George Blackburn. If you've already read it, read it again.

I'm prolly going to read it once a month until they release the Commonwealth module.

I'm currently reading "The Steel Wave" by Jeff Shaara for the second time and am enjoying it.

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Wave-Novel-World-War/dp/0345461428

Interesting. I didnt think it would be possible. I would think that so much of WW2 history would be scrutinized that it would be hard to take liberties to make history, fiction. (Maybe I'm too much the purist)

Or is this what they call "faction"?

How do Sharra's books read? Or at least, how does "Steel Wave" read?

Interesting. I didnt think it would be possible. I would think that so much of WW2 history would be scrutinized that it would be hard to take liberties to make history, fiction. (Maybe I'm too much the purist)

Or is this what they call "faction"?

How do Sharra's books read? Or at least, how does "Steel Wave" read?

Sharra follows in his father's footsteps- he did Killer Angels, which was made into the big Gettysburg movie. They take all the major facts, but speculate on things the leaders might have said and done, that haven't been recorded and add in some fictional ordinary men to put you into the action at all the best times and places- but doing a fairly good job of feeling like it's sticking true to history.

Something by Sven Hassel?

Yes I jest, in my defence you did say fiction.

Edit - Guns of Normandy is indeed a juicy read. There's also View from a Foxhole or maybe is vision, I'd have to check once I get home. These a memoirs though, not fiction. Can't think of any fiction off the top of my head TBH.

-F

I´m currently reading a very gripping book called "Tank!" by Ken Tout. It´s a non-fiction first hand account of the experiences of a british Sherman crew during operation Totalize in august 1944.

Ken Tout was a Sherman gunner and commander in the Norhthampton Yeomanry and the story is based on his own experiences, though some of the crew members of the Shermans are fictionalized.

Several members of this forum will undoubtedly within the next hour have informed us that this book is pure fiction and utterly untrustworthy ;-)

Until then, I highly recommend it.

For a historical book that read like a noevl but is about Omaha is Omaha Beach by J Balkoski.

Can't remember if Beardless Warriors was Normandy or not. ANother great read is Castle keep by Eastlake but thats start of Bulge...

Young Lions by I Shaw covers Normandy...very good read...

I read the WW1 noevl Shara wrote and hated it...so never bothered with anyhting else...

A great read I'd recommend to everyone here is Berlin Noir by P Kerr....honestly a superb film noir detetcivie book based on a German private dective before during and after the war...this is the trilogy..excellent read...but I'm diverting here

Forget fiction; it will never match well written factual accounts.

I highly recommend John C McManus' "The Americans at Normandy". Fast paced but very detailed account of the three months in Normandy, up to Falaise. Lots of first person accounts illustrating the numerous battles and actions.

Covers exactly the subject matter and span of CMBN.

Accidental Warrior by Geoffrey Picot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accidental-Warrior-Front-Normandy-Victory/dp/0140176268

Joins up early in the war, but becuase of his poor eyesight, gets put into second line duties (Paycorp I think) But as the war progresses and the demand for warm bodies increases, he gets upgraded and after a spell in the AA artillery is send to an Infantry battalion and he's part of the initial assualt.

Well written and as he's a very mild mannered bloke just goes to show how the Green Machine (Khaki back then) can make effective soldiers out of mild mannered bespectacled Clark Kent types.

(Although I think they have to do more than just make you wear your underpants on the outside to become SooperDudes)

Several members of this forum will undoubtedly within the next hour have informed us that this book is pure fiction and utterly untrustworthy ;-)

Until then, I highly recommend it.

If they do then I would disregard anything else they say on this board. Brilliant, and the writing captures the sudden, frenetic activity after hours of nothing, burn you buggers, burn indeed!

I would also recommend Kenneth Macksey's "Attack" a factional attack on a German fortified position in Normandy. Based on his own experiences, it sequentially takes you through a typical engagement from both sides, from patroling to the resume.

For historical fiction I recommend Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. I believe HBO turned it into a mini series.

Careful, you're treading on dangerous ground. Questioning the research methodology of America's late great unofficial spokesperson for the "greatest generation" is often viewed as an attack upon the honor of our WWII veterans. (You see it can't be possible that recycling (or stealing from) secondary source material and unquestionally relying on a handful of veteran interviews performed four to five decades after the events described could result in shoddily researched military history books.)

On a more serious note to the OP, I cast another vote for Glover S. Johns' "Clay Pigeons of St. Lo." It's a non-fiction memoir, but Johns was one heck of a writer. And as another poster noted, it would be tough to find a book more on target with the subject material of this upcoming game.