Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Some lame questions while waiting

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn’t be too sure of this, I've been in Combat with this most recent generation and they performed admirably.

Twas said in part jest and not meant to be a slur on young soldiers (101st airborne I take it) but as a teacher I am genuinely disturbed by the effect these devices have on my students and who often do not get military training, or a similar disciplined environment to redress the balance in their lives. The military have, as you will already know, been quite successful in using computer games to simulate combat, design kit that is close to the gaming equipment the young soldiers know intimately (The Challenger II gunners FCS controls are based on a well known console) and help with PTSD from the Iraq and Afgan conflicts. Trouble is, as Grossman too acurately predicted, this desensitisation to violence, amongst a civilian population, can often lead to a dark place.

As an end note I do know that Castle Wolfenstein was a very popular game played during Bosnia, excellent stress relief for frustrated soldiers apparently!

Twas said in part jest ... this desensitisation to violence, amongst a civilian population, can often lead to a dark place.

Fair go, but I don't think computer games can be blamed in whole or in part for soldiers behaving badly towards civilians. There were, I recall, some very nasty examples during the Vietnam war.

My boy, coming up 18, has played computer games since he was old enough to use a keyboard and mouse (he started on Combat Mission when he was 8). He is a skinny as a rake, very fit, perfectly well adjusted and very keen to get into the Royal Navy as a submariner.

Computers don't corrupt kids, parental behaviour does.

Badly, being out of shape and overburdening the supply lines with Pizza, Cheetos and Cola and in fact being generally unwilling to leave the house at all.

:)

hahahah, exactly. I mean, I don't even like going outside.

If you think about it, it's always a nice day inside.

Fair go, but I don't think computer games can be blamed in whole or in part for soldiers behaving badly towards civilians. There were, I recall, some very nasty examples during the Vietnam war.

Never suggested that, Grossman looked at the way first person shooters mimic the modern training methods used to desensitise the hind-brain restictors that prevented most WWII soldiers from directly killing each other. Civilians, Grossman argued were being exposed to this desensitisation, without any of the safeguards available to modern soldiers and correctly predicted the problems this would cause.

Military atrocities against civilians are as old as warfare itself and cannot be blamed on computers but, and this is what I wanted to put in my original post but felt it too preachy, computer games are being used, far too often, by irresponsible 'parents' as surrogate parents (absolutely agree with your emphasis on parental attitude) The daily stories my students, unwittingly, reveal are quite simply shocking and I half-jokingly suggested to a colleague that there should be a specific law against neglect, by means of computer console. I hope your lad does you proud (at what age did he beat you regularly at CM?) and best wishes in his career in nuke boats but a neglected child with a violent game (not CM) is asking for trouble.

Wish there was a virtu-pub where we could actually engage in conversation, because on a highly charged subject like this, the ability to correct any misunderstanding mid-coversation would be invaluable. How about it BF, a virtual forum, where we could talk bollocks (essential for a pub) have whacky avatars to represent us and then my wife could shake her head, even more, and mutter exasperatedly, "not talking to those people again!"

Badly, being out of shape and overburdening the supply lines with Pizza, Cheetos and Cola and in fact being generally unwilling to leave the house at all.

:)

You're describing the dreaded "Blubbermensch" assault troops, right? :D :D :D The US has their "Chairborne Infantry" too.