What can be modded?

Nope, that wasn't me. Interesting to note that you first look at me rather than at the tank! :P

That vehicle was indeed a kind of FO tank, used on a firing range by the firing instructor at close® range. And so he didn't acidentally get mistaken for a target vehicle, that tank was painted in said pattern.

P.S.: I just happen to like leather clothes. A LOT. :D

The leather pants are fine by me, and I have to say it wasn't the first thing I looked at but it did run a close second.

Must take a stalwart soul to be trundling about a live fire range in a bumble bee colour WW2 tank!

Any idea why it is a Firefly turret on an Easy 8 hull ?

Any idea why it is a Firefly turret on an Easy 8 hull ?

No ida - I supposethey just put that one together from spare parts lying aroun and didn't exactly care for the looks... It's rather difficult getting to talk to museum staff in Germany (and get information through that) unless one is important.

Yeah, it's fairly cool. Deitrich managed to swap the syrian spies with the syrian combatants, so you had guys running around with rifles and rpgs and the like without head wraps. I used that as a jumping off point and mixed the syrian spies with combatants so I had masked and unmasked guys within a squad...but unfortunately the spy model wouldn't randomize and I ended up with the exact same spy in every squad...I eventually got to frustrated to continue messing with it...

It is an interesting avenue to venture down...for guys with both CMA and CMSF it would be pretty cool to try and port the Muji models and flavor objects and swap out some textures to CMSF for a modern Afghanistan game.

Mord.

Yeah, it's fairly cool. Deitrich managed to swap the syrian spies with the syrian combatants, so you had guys running around with rifles and rpgs and the like without head wraps. I used that as a jumping off point and mixed the syrian spies with combatants so I had masked and unmasked guys within a squad...but unfortunately the spy model wouldn't randomize and I ended up with the exact same spy in every squad...I eventually got to frustrated to continue messing with it...

It is an interesting avenue to venture down...for guys with both CMA and CMSF it would be pretty cool to try and port the Muji models and flavor objects and swap out some textures to CMSF for a modern Afghanistan game.

Mord.

Ventured a little way down this road: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94252&highlight=Helmand

I completely forgotten about that thread! I think I started getting real busy around that time...and must not have been visiting the BB as much. Then my comp died.

Nice stuff, man. I was digging seeing the muj models in game. Love to see that finished. Me and Birdstrike were collaborating on a muj mod but I haven't heard from him in quite a while (hope he's ok)...and my comp is dead with all my files locked on it.

Anyway thanks for the reminder! Something I'll delve into when I have my own comp again.

Mord.

Speaking of mods...

Can anyone please direct me to where I can get a 'Mods Manager'? - I've been googling around for a downloadable 'CMMOS4 Manager' copy but just find broken links.

What does everybody use for managing mods? - is it still the 'CMMOS4 Manager'?

I have no idea how to install the mods without just dragging them into my BMP files or something - does everyone 'just know how to do this' or are there actually some directions how how to install or manage mods out there somewhere?

I thought I would do some cmbb mods while waiting for the cmbn release so I can be up to speed to do mods for cmbn when they get created by all the artistic types

Thanks!

I live and breathe mods but never really got into CMMOS, myself. The 'basic' way of doing it seemed too simple to require a 'technical' fix. Yeh, some people might see that as heresy.

Modding Instructions:

You create a new folder in the data folder and drop your mod art into it. You name the new folder something far enough down the alphabet so the game will look in it last when it starts up.

That's it. You're done. I've kept multiple 'Z' mod folders handy to swap out as the mood struck me. "Z_African theatre pack", "Z_White NATO vehicles pack", "Z_ crazy test art". Drop 'em in the data folder. Pull 'em out of the data folder.

I recommend JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler. It’s a neat little program that installs in a games root directory and automatically backs up the files being modified. By simply emulating a games file structure you can manage multiple mods – or go back to stock – in seconds.

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html

MikeyD - your method will work for most games but some are bit picky and will overlook unexpected directories. JoneSoft mimics the native directory structure to avoid this issue. And, allows you to go back to stock easily to accomodate dev patches.

Oh, and one more thing. It allows you to determine mod load order so you can load a mod that does A/B/C and then another mod that does "C" better on top of that - allowing you to retain the changes to "A" & "B".

And you can package subsets into .rez (probably some form of zip) files with the tools supplied.

That way you can just move a .rez file into or out of the Z folder when you want to use a different combination.

I have separate files for US, British, Dutch, German and Canadian forces, and I just put the right one into the Z folder and move the old one back in my store.

No special tools needed at all.

Thanks all you guys.

MikeyD and GreenasJade - I've been on GreenasJade downloading many and soon most of MikeyD's armour and they are looking sweet on cmbb.

MJkerner and Barkhorn1x - I'll take a look at that Mod Manager and see if it makes sense for me

Wow! - the mods really make an artistic difference in the game