When Will Fire be In?

smoke, dust and explosions work very well in the game.

CM-Shock-Force-107-(22).jpg

I do hope that smoke in CMBN is better portrayed than that of CMSF. Just look at that CMSF picture: The smoke columns tilt in different position and in that picture it seems like the smoke columns are sucked towards the center. It is a result of "camera"/viewpiont persepctive or are they really oriented that way?

Although they work from a gaming perspective those comic book smoke columns really detracts from the sense of immersion.

Then again for me WWII is so much more of an interesting setting than that modern CMSF one-sided stuff so just bring it!

(Hm... Maybe a general wind direction per map would benefit the smoke animations? If kindling of fire + the spreading of fire à la (Advanced) Squad Leader is to become a future CM eye candy reality a wind direction is a prerequisite.)

(Hm... Maybe a general wind direction per map would benefit the smoke animations? If kindling of fire + the spreading of fire à la (Advanced) Squad Leader is to become a future CM eye candy reality a wind direction is a prerequisite.)

... this already exists, and has since the beginning of CMSF. It's a very important consideration when laying down a smoke screen.

Everyone here talks about the man portable flamethrowers and how they are no big deal to the game and they can wait.

I, for one, CANT WAIT for the flame spewing crocs and German flammer halftracks. I am reading "Company Commander" again and when the author is in the pillbox for 9 days and nights he is in constant fear of a flammer halftrack that was stalking the company that was there before him. <shudder>

Like I have said, it is not JUST the weapons but also the buildings that burn and collapse and also the dry fields that burn and spread. That is what I am looking forward to!

I, for one, CANT WAIT for the flame spewing crocs and German flammer halftracks.

What he said.

Channelizing attacks by lighting fire to woods or buildings, quickly routing pillboxes and entrenched troops, covering advances with long-term smokescreens, having a cottage burn when some fool touches-off a panzerfaust from inside. All needed to a) have that extra edge of fun and B) do a realistic simulation.

Just call me sparky.

I do hope that smoke in CMBN is better portrayed than that of CMSF. Just look at that CMSF picture: The smoke columns tilt in different position and in that picture it seems like the smoke columns are sucked towards the center. It is a result of "camera"/viewpiont persepctive or are they really oriented that way?

The smoke columns appear sucked towards the center because they are blowing the opposite direction from where the snapshot was taken. Since some of the burning vehicles are left of the vanishing point of the perspective then the smoke tilts to the right for those vehicles. The vehicles to the right of the vanishing point of the perspective have smoke blowing slightly towards the center. There is one vehicle that appears to be exactly on the vanishing point and his smoke is completely vertical.

What do you mean by "too modern" (sic).

Perhaps the question is whether it was used that much in WW II. I know that most Allied tanks were equipped with smoke candles or mortars, but I can hardly recall a single incident where they are mentioned as being used. More or less the same for the Germans. The Soviet tanks with their diesel engines produced so much smoke in normal operation that they scarcely needed any additional smoke production, but ISTR that they had a device that would spray either fuel or oil on the hot exhaust pipe to make more. But again, I have no information on whether or how often that was used operationally.

Michael

What do you mean by "too modern" (sic).

Basically what Micheal said. I feel that smoke for vehicles was not as common as it is now, standard smoke dischargers appeared in the later part war for the germans for example.

In the QB all the shermans popped smoke after being fired upon. Although interesting from a game standpoint, I wonder if it really was such an ingrained reaction in ww2 already.

I seem to recall reading more about allied armor shooting smoke then popping smoke.

All this from gut feeling, not backed by research :)

• 2 years later...

I'm with you. I'm guessing that the reason why it's taking so long to model fire is due to the difficulty in determining what the effects fire has on various AFV's, since it doesn't penetrate armour as such. It's more what the effects on morale would be on a tank crew should their AFV be hit and whether it was susceptible to allowing fire into the engine compartment for potentially catastrophic outcomes.

Still, I for one will be very disappointed if the likes of Crocodiles, Wasps & German flamethrower halftracks can't be modelled by the time Battlefront are portraying warfare in the West come September 1944 onwards.

Regards

KR