playing this module

Yes... I've been distracted by other commitments, but overall CMA gives a very different feel from CMSF. The vulnerability of troops to small arms due to lack of body armor is significant. The C&C differences, squad sizes, weapons, etc., all create a challenge.

As to the appearance, it is different. I like it. (It grew on me.) The appearance seems like cell shading. This conflict produced a lot of negative emotional response in the former Soviet Union. (Is that understated enough?) In order to sell a product which killed and wounded many of their countrymen, I fully understand the desire to create a little emotional distance by ensuring that the game is seen as a game, not a simulation. The "cartoony" look is part of that. All the above is my opinion.

Regardless, the look is well integrated, seemless, and all flows into a cohesive whole.

It is a good module.

Ken

I like it too. Love the feel and atmosphere of it. It's definitely not CMSF. I really enjoy playing with and learning the Soviet era equipment and organizations. Very different from what we are used to.

I just wish more people were playing it and that we start to see more diverse and varied scenarios. I think the potential is huge.

I like it too. Love the feel and atmosphere of it. It's definitely not CMSF. I really enjoy playing with and learning the Soviet era equipment and organizations. Very different from what we are used to.

I just wish more people were playing it and that we start to see more diverse and varied scenarios. I think the potential is huge.

I totally agree.

I play it a lot, perhaps even more than CMSF. Red vs. Red in CMA is very entertaining. I haven't really noticed this cartoony look, perhaps it is because the biggest factor is the trees that are too bright, I downloaded a mod that toned the colours down and it looks so much better. You can have T-55s and T-62s dueling in CMSF too, but there aren't any modern ATGMs and such crap coming in the way...I love exciting tank battles that aren't "first shot 98% guaranteed hit 99% guaranteed kill!" Ricochets! Misses! Penetrations that don't result in spectacular fireballs! I even saw an AP round bounce from one tank to another, scaring the latter's crew into a ditch. (Sadly for me, they remanned their vehicle)

CMA is a lot harder than CMSF. BMPs, BTRs, BMDs and BMDRs are very fragile, and the Soviet MBTs of that era can't take the kind of punishment an Abrams does. I like the challenge, I do know that there's a lot of well designed and challenging scenarios for CMSF because I've played them but still... :P

My complaints is that there aren't as many scenarios for the english version of CMA, it has such potential, I wish there'd be byte campaigns for it. :D

I released one scenario but I have no idea if people really played it. I have several ideas and scenarios in the works, I think the concepts and maps I have planned out provide for really grueling battles. But I'm a bit of an ADD type, hard time wrapping things up for a release-worthy shape. There is so much potential for these bytesize campaigns in CMA, but time is of the essence, with CMBN looming somewhere on the distant horizon.

Some very minor points, I feel the Soviets have a bit too many RPG gunners, the squad sizes are so small that every AKM counts! And I wish we had the "driver&gunner team" command from CMBN, there are so many times I wish I could send 2 dismounts from the recon squad to peek over a crest while the 2 guys stay behind in the BRDM-2. Oh and I wish there was some way to ban technical companies from tiny or small QBs. :D

"...downloaded a mod that toned the colours down and it looks so much better. You can have T-55s and T-62s dueling in CMSF too, but there aren't any modern ATGMs and such crap coming in the way...I love exciting tank battles that aren't "first shot 98% guaranteed hit 99% guaranteed kill!"

I couldn't agree more with what Zeb said.

Yes, I agree. I own CMSF as well but this version has a much different feel to it. Love the mountain terrian scenarios. However, not being a fan of the Soviets ( a cold war child that remembers) I chose to play the Taliban which is very challenging. How they ran the Soviets out is beyond me.