WWII and other weapons collections...

No, no, do tell about your black powder collection :)

I may prefer WWII for my wargaming, but I've always loved those old guns.

Loading is a mission, cleaning is a mission - must be love.

Please :)

I don't want to completely hijack the other thread and figured if this was going to go on I should start a new one. I'm a big history and military history buff so have collected some stuff over the years. :D

My Grandfather was a WWII vet, Merrill's Marauders and my Dad's half-brother was a B-25 captain dropping supplies to the French resistance so I've been steeped in it all since I can remember. My Dad was also a history buff with a love for the mountain men and early American trappers as well as the whole Louis and Clark era and journey. He was a buckskinner and I grew up shooting black powder, hanging out in a teepee while we camped in the summer and watching him shoot, craft and throw tomahawks with his buddies. Dad passed away three years ago, miss him dearly, and I now have his stuff as well as mine. That love of history translated, naturally, into wargames, books and then weapon collecting, for me at least. I do Civil War reenacting now and have quite a collection of Black Powder stuff to go along with my WWII stuff. It's these two eras that have the MOST draw for me. So I figured I'd show some of my collection...

I'll repost the WWII rifles and legend first...

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine .30 caliber carbine.

M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, caliber .30-06

Model 1903 Springfield .30-06, serial number dated 1936 re-barrelled and restocked WWII S-stock, November 1944, bayonet is Springfield Armory marked 1942

Auto Ordnance Thompson .45 semi auto

Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 dated 1943 with spike bayonet, caliber 7.62x54R

British Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1 with bayonet dated 1942, caliber .303

German Mauser k98, Nazi marked dated 1940, caliber 8mm Mauser (7.92x57mm)

Japanese Arisaka Type 38 with bayonet, made in Tokyo between 1935-1940 caliber 6.5mm Japanese

011vti.jpg

012xz.jpg

Now for the Black Powder, where to begin...

These are all modern reproduction, mind you.

US Model 1842 Springfield .69 caliber smoothbore

US Model 1855 Harpers Ferry .58 caliber rifle

US Model 1861 Springfield .58 caliber rifle

Austrian Model 1854 Lorenz .58 caliber rifle

006nm.jpg

Here's a closeup of the dummy Maynard tape primer system on the '55 Harpers Ferry rifle

010ogb.jpg

The business end of the .58 and .69 caliber. Massive.

015te.jpg

Here's the whole collection of cap and ball revolvers.

Starting at the top

Colt Walker .44

Colt Dragoon .44

At the left is a Remington 1858 New Model Army .44 in stainless and to the right a Remington Model New Model Navy .36 blued.

Left to right under those are...

Colt 1851 Navy .36

Colt 1861 Civillian Model Navy .36

Colt 1861 London Model Navy .36

Colt 1860 Army .44

Colt 1860 Army .44 that I took the blue off to make it have that older patined look

IMG_4176a.jpg

This is a prized piece inherited from my Dad, this was completely hand made by Danny Powell, one of the old gunsmiths from back in the 60's and 70's. It's a .45 caliber flintlock

IMG_6011.jpg

These three my Dad made himself, they are my most prized.

Top is a .36 caliber flintlock squirrel rifle

Flintlock .62 caliber smooth rifle circa 1790s

My all time favorite and probably one of the most accurate rifles I own and the one he was most proud of, Curly Maple .54 caliber, percussion Hawken rifle with double set triggers. Gorgeous.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Finally,

.45 caliber poorboy custom flintlock made by (I forget offhand)

.40 caliber Hershel House flintlock rifle

.75 caliber Indian trade gun flintlock by Blue Jacket Sanders

IMG_1036.jpg

Oh, how could I forget this,

Sharps breach loading .54 caliber carbine.

IMG_4606a.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

I cast and load all my ammo. Everything I shoot is hand made by me and my girlfriend. It's quite satisfying knowing every round going down range was hand cast and loaded by us.

Here is a .54 ringtail bullet for the Sharps, a .58 Minie Ball next to that, and a comparison of .36 and .44 caliber round balls.

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

Awesome, thanks for posting all those.

I've always liked the Colt Army for that amazing fluting. My father is also heavily into guns - he started out making rifle stocks as he was good with wood and ended up qualifying as a gunsmith. Unfortunately he only had one replica black powder revolver ( Colt Navy copy ) as well as a flintlock pistol he bought on holiday in Spain.

I miss plinking with them, but now I live in the UK, it aint possible :(

Its not CMBN related but anyway.

Why do I live in the Netherlands.. You have a great selection of weapons. If I would have only one here in the Netherlands I would get arrested :mad:.

I like them all but the Thomson is one I dream about:cool:.

Thx for sharing:).

Jaws, I think you'll find the Dutch gun laws not as restrictive as you might think. You can get your hands on pretty much any gun you like. But it will take time and effort to get the required permits. And it's a costly hobby.

If you are interested you should make enquiries at a local gunclub. Make sure you pick a club that suits your shooting needs. If you are looking to fire rifles or blackpowder, find a club with the lanes fit for your shooting needs.

Jaws, I think you'll find the Dutch gun laws not as restrictive as you might think. You can get your hands on pretty much any gun you like. But it will take time and effort to get the required permits. And it's a costly hobby.

If you are interested you should make enquiries at a local gunclub. Make sure you pick a club that suits your shooting needs. If you are looking to fire rifles or blackpowder, find a club with the lanes fit for your shooting needs.

Thx Elmar :) Will do some research on this.

How's your Lee Enfield shoot in terms of accuracy? Any time I've fired off a friends at our nearby range, I've found it to be "inaccurate" to say the least. I am not the best shot (although could manage an FNC1A1 with some really decent accuracy in most conditions) and find my targeting off with the Lee Enfield. Maybe it's his model or is there some history that they wildly vary in accuracy?

How's your Lee Enfield shoot in terms of accuracy? Any time I've fired off a friends at our nearby range, I've found it to be "inaccurate" to say the least. I am not the best shot (although could manage an FNC1A1 with some really decent accuracy in most conditions) and find my targeting off with the Lee Enfield. Maybe it's his model or is there some history that they wildly vary in accuracy?

It's probably just his individually, how old is it? Condition? Barrel condition, is it shot out? Mine is super accurate actually though the peep sight is a bit different and takes some getting used to before becoming proficient with it. One of my buddies actually shoots the Lee Enfield better than any of the other bolt actions I have.

Lee Enfields have a very good reputation for accuracy. Of course, when you're talking about a vintage firearm, it all depends on condition. It doesn't matter how accurate the piece was when if first came out of the gun shop if the barrel is shot out.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot of so-called "Khyber Pass" knock-off Lee Enfields still out there, built over the decades by gunsmiths in Northern India and Pakistan. In many cases, the gunsmiths would make at least some attempt to counterfeit these pieces to look like authentic Lee Enfields, but a knowledgeable collector and usually easily tell the difference. These pieces vary wildly in quality; some are actually very well made. Others are probably more a danger to the shooter than any target.

It's probably just his individually, how old is it? Condition? Barrel condition, is it shot out? Mine is super accurate actually though the peep sight is a bit different and takes some getting used to before becoming proficient with it. One of my buddies actually shoots the Lee Enfield better than any of the other bolt actions I have.

It's definitely original, early 40s. I'll get the date and production details next time I manage to hook up with him, and have a real good look at the rifle as well. External condition is fine but you're most likely right about the barrel being worn out, or perhaps improperly cleaned over the years. I now this one's changed hands a fair bit and was picked up for a song.

atc_badge_corpsmm.gif

Got my RAF Marksman badge with an old Lee-Enfield in the 80s. Still got the bruises to prove it ;)

Lee Enfields have a very good reputation for accuracy. Of course, when you're talking about a vintage firearm, it all depends on condition. It doesn't matter how accurate the piece was when if first came out of the gun shop if the barrel is shot out.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot of so-called "Khyber Pass" knock-off Lee Enfields still out there, built over the decades by gunsmiths in Northern India and Pakistan. In many cases, the gunsmiths would make at least some attempt to counterfeit these pieces to look like authentic Lee Enfields, but a knowledgeable collector and usually easily tell the difference. These pieces vary wildly in quality; some are actually very well made. Others are probably more a danger to the shooter than any target.

I love the Lee-Enfield. Mine is in excellent condition and shoots great. It has the long range adjustable sight too. Someone took good care of mine before I got it. I got a great deal on it considering the almost perfect condition it's in.

Honestly, I think the Lee Enfield is one of the great combat rifles of it's day.