IL-2: Cliffs of Dover gets a release date (aka SoW: BoB)

noxnoctum

[good-natured sarcasm] Yeah, when I play a flight simulator, I turn off my brain and just mash the keyboard and grapple with the joystick. When I play CM, though, I only think and don't even touch the keyboard or the mouse. [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Thanks much for the heads-up, nox! =) I've been waiting for this game literally for years.

[good-natured sarcasm] Yeah, when I play a flight simulator, I turn off my brain and just mash the keyboard and grapple with the joystick. When I play CM, though, I only think and don't even touch the keyboard or the mouse. [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Thanks much for the heads-up, nox! =) I've been waiting for this game literally for years.

Lol my thoughts exactly.

Ya... IL-2 is just a shoot em up :rolleyes:

Much more challenging to learn than CM... sorry.

I just got into IL-2 about a year and a half ago so I'm late to the party but can't wait for this either :). I will definitely miss my Focke-Wulf though :(.

Yeah I was gonna say wait a minute. This is a hardcore simulation. It takes far more than just skill to be a solid fighter online. Keep the shoot-em-up twitch crowd comments away. Grant it, having mad skillz always helps! :D

There's just something about getting shot down in a monster dogfight that is just..... humbling. Far far far far more than any other game where there's shooting at each other in some form or another. Recall the overwhelming feeling of helplessness when you know your tangling with somebody very good. I still remember my first kill online, like 8 years ago. lol (Ah the memories!) :)

Oh boy, I've put down IL2 a few years ago, so very much looking forward to this. Just as much as CMBN and RO2.

Now the checklist:

New graphics card: check - GTX 570 (only 1 week old now)

New flight stick: nope - (old Saitek is a bit creaky by now)

TrackIR: nope - (always wanted this, but never got around to it, said I'd get one for the new IL2)

Damn, I just busted a load on that new card too.

Can't link since it's commercial, so gonna copy/paste.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover system requirements

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3

PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+ (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)

RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)

VIDEO CARD: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*

DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)

DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X

SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible

HARD DISK: 10GB

PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)

MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:

ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970

NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I guess spilling beer on my joystick really was an omen to not buy this game.

I feel really bad for Oleg, Ubisoft seems to muck up things on a regular basis. :(

EDIT: Just read that Oleg is leaving the business, no doubt due to this fiasco.

Generally I don't look too hard into forum feedback. Sometimes they tend to be overloaded with tech problems from people not computer savvy. But I'm sure there's still definitely some valid problems. We'll see how bad when some reviews from various media outlets get released. Either way, I'm not too worried about it, the game will still get much support and backbone from the dev team. As this is the first of many releases with the new engine.

Btw, Olegs departure was first confirmed IIRC back around x-mas. Also I think he said this was just like a temporary leave of absence. Who could blame him though, been making WWII fighter sims for over a decade now.

There is a European gaming mag that refuses to review the game due to its unfinished status.

http://www.cleared-to-engage.com/2011/03/31/eurogamer-denmark-will-not-review-cliffs-of-dover/

It's a wrong decision. I understand that they're doing it out of love for the genre and because it would get a poor review in it's current state. A bad review however, and thus less profit, is the only thing a publisher would understand. If it's released, it's released. Give it a considerable less score and advice people not to buy until it's out of beta-state.