Northeastern Pennsylvania Preview

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2pm Friday until whenever. I have already sent a couple of folks my address through email or PM. Anyone else needing it please let me know.

I plan on picking up a case of Yeungling. I may make something to eat and if not I'll get some pizza. Any additional beer or eats is certainly welcome. I am hoping for loads of "residual beer" because my Super Bowl "residual beer" supply is almost exhausted.

Also, if anyone has long cords that attach a computer to an HD TV it might be cool to bring them in case mine aren't long enough.

Anyone going to take photos? I can't attend a preview so it'd be nice to live vicariously. Plus I've always wondered what the CM crowd looks like, myself being a lot younger than average. (24)

Although I do understand the privacy aspect, this being the Internet and all. After all it's taking place at someone's home and there's people with military postings etc.

Just thought I'd bring it up. :D

Elvis,

Did you make scenarios or are you using Runes?

I have a couple in mind and rune has supplied his. I think the ones he made are fairly big and long and I was thinking that smaller and shorter battles might give everyone more of a chance to play a coupla/few complete games. But I will certainly take suggestions from you guys.

When my wife left this morning she asked what she should expect when she gets home. I told her to expect a bunch of war game playing geeks drinking beer. Now all day I've had a song from The National's newest album running through my head. The haunting "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" with the chorus that includes the line "I'll explain everything to the geeks".

When my wife left this morning she asked what she should expect when she gets home. I told her to expect a bunch of war game playing geeks drinking beer. Now all day I've had a song from The National's newest album running through my head. The haunting "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" with the chorus that includes the line "I'll explain everything to the geeks".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5603650206115282455#

Can we picture something similar to this? But in a WW2 setting. Good ole' D&D days. Wish I could make the trip from Johnstown, PA. Have fun guys.

Elvis, I recommend the one you tested while in alpha [where you called me evil]. I'll be home later [2 hours] so feel free to email me or call me. I'll toss contact information in an email to you. I then went hotseat on the bigger scenario with 2 as German and 2 as americans taking turns so everyone got to play.

email coming...

Rune

Elvis, I recommend the one you tested while in alpha [where you called me evil]. I'll be home later [2 hours] so feel free to email me or call me. I'll toss contact information in an email to you. I then went hotseat on the bigger scenario with 2 as German and 2 as americans taking turns so everyone got to play.

email coming...

Rune

Email received!!! Thanks!!

Well what can I say?

Absolutely fierce close range firefights through hedgerows. Nervous Allied tankers trying to flank through lanes of hedgerows with not enough infantry support. Fantastically beautiful 60mm motars arcing over the entire battlefield. Not like CMx1, where you see them shoot up and vanish then reappear landing on target. This time you can zoom out and see the entire flight. A whole train of them when they fire for effect. I could not stop watching!

You NEVER know what is going to happen in bocage fighting. At one point, on a quiet side of the map, the Allies tried to run three tanks down a lane that I just happened to have a squad with some panzerfaust 30's, a schreck team, and their 3 man HQ unit in hiding. Two of the three tanks were no more in a flash bang firefight that made us all watching jump! The third fought his way past (while hurting me a bit) and made his way around a corner where I was trying to "quick" another squad to join the battle. He caught my squad in the open lane and hammered them HARD! With such limited LOS in this type of country the fighting is just nasty. Dont think for a second that shermans are easy kills either because that HE they carry plus driver and coax MG's add up to devistating firepower.

We had one dramatic hotseat turn end with a the same sherman behind my lines pointing its 75mm at my panther. I had a covered arc on my panther pointing away from the sherman. So, in a nutshell, I had my forward quarter armour facing the sherman yet my gun was point about 90 degrees away. What will happen?!?!?!?!?!? I set a direct target order with a reverse. Here is a good example of chaos in combat. <click play>. The shermans gun bounces off my panther <whew!> as my panther starts to swing his gun and reverse, a schreck team further up the road gets LOS at sherman and fires. The schreck shot hits the ground right next to sherman (maybe the tracks too) and creates a big dustcloud at impact. My panther losses sight of sherman! 10 or 15 seconds pass as the dust settles and my schreck is reloading. Then BOOM!!! My panther gets LOS and ends it all right there. Crazy!

This is the game we have been waiting for. Warn your wives and children that they will not see too much of you when it comes out.

A million thanks to John (Elvis) for hosting and to BFC for creating. John provided beer and killer BLT's at the event. There was even a simulation of the french resistance in the form of Johns son telling my opponent where I was hiding! LOL!

Any details? :D

I'll give you the overview and let the other guys give their opinions.

There were 5 of us including myself. Peng, Lanzfeld and I ha consiterable experience with the CMx2 engine. Nrsteel has all CMSF modules and was pretty familiar with everything. Pappy367 had never touched CMx2.

I started with a little tour of the game and went through the QB force selection screens. Then I fired up a scenario to show the UI and look around the game a bit. After that nrsteel and Lanzfeld faced off via LAN and played a scenario through. Nr had to go so the other 3 tinkered for a bit. Lanz then selected QB units he wanted to see in action. By now Peng had left, as well so pappy and Lanz played a hotseat battle while my son shamelessly cheered on pappy. It got pretty late and they both had a long way to travel so we had the ceasefire the hot seat after 3+ hours of playing it.

So, that's what we did. I'll leave the comments about whether or not it was fun to the other guys

Wow...

24 hours after the preview and my wife is catching me staring into space and asking me whats the matter?

I just cant get over how great the game is. See my thoughts in post #69 above. NOW the waiting is going to be hard. Drug dealers....BFC is nothing more than drug dealers!

Ahh well.....off to work!

First off I want to thank Elvis for his wonderful hospitality. It wonderful meeting alot of familiar faces from the forums, there isn't a better group of gentlemen.

Now to the game. Not sure where to start other then it's what I have been waiting for. Being completely new to the cmx2 engine and interface, I have to say it was a very easy to sit down and learn. The controls are very well done and easy to learn. The game is and is going to be amazing.

Now to my hotseat game with Lanz. Starting out with no infantry in our scenario made scouting q bit hard. With woods and buildings all around, sermons do not make the best scouts. Also a good field of view from German positions gave Lanz's panthers a long view of my approaching armor. This all lead to various Sherman losses. I was able to work some forces in closer then all he'll broke lose lol, including the point blank shot from my Sherman that unfortunately decided to twang rather then pierce.

I had 2nd 45 min drive home and all I could think about was how my marriage is in trouble when the game is released and all I heard on the way home was TWANG

Again a very special thanks to Elvis and all the great guys I met. A special thanks for the developers for making a great game for guys like us. And a special thanks for my French underground contact during the battle.