CM: BfN steam group

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody else catch what Steam/Valve did when BF knocked the prices down on the ToW series last year(October)? Yup, they had a big sale for the ToW series at the same time. I forget the exact prices, but I do recall the Steam sale was much cheaper than the prices here. I figure this isn't good for BF getting undercut like that, or any company for that matter.

Steam is by far the cheapest way to buy games. In the past couple of years it's gotten bigger. Directodrive, Gamersgate, and even Amazon is getting in on matching the Steam sales. Watch, in less than 3 months time Shogun will be on sale for half off.

Steam is by far the cheapest way to buy games. In the past couple of years it's gotten bigger. Directodrive, Gamersgate, and even Amazon is getting in on matching the Steam sales. Watch, in less than 3 months time Shogun will be on sale for half off.

Not sure what part of the world you're from, but if you buy non-discounted Steam games it is far more expensive than amazon selling physical copies (30-40 % cheaper on average). Steam only shines price-wise with discounts, which is fine as long you have patience, new games don't get discounted that quickly. Shogun 2 is 50 euros on Steam, 31 euros on Amazon. First proper Shogun 2 sale might be in half a year, and it might be discounted to ... 30 euros or something. Steam is not by far the cheapest way to buy games.

Oh, and I believe Steam/Valve does not set game prices (except for their own of course). The publisher sets game prices, so apparently BF had a hand in undercutting their own sales it seems.

Not sure what part of the world you're from, but if you buy non-discounted Steam games it is far more expensive than amazon selling physical copies (30-40 % cheaper on average). Steam only shines price-wise with discounts, which is fine as long you have patience, new games don't get discounted that quickly. Shogun 2 is 50 euros on Steam, 31 euros on Amazon. First proper Shogun 2 sale might be in half a year, and it might be discounted to ... 30 euros or something. Steam is not by far the cheapest way to buy games.

Oh, and I believe Steam/Valve does not set game prices (except for their own of course). The publisher sets game prices, so apparently BF had a hand in undercutting their own sales it seems.

I'm of course talking about their sales and not the normal MSRP. But they have sales all week practically, their midweek sale is tues-thurs and weekend deal is fri-sun.

But it doesn't take half a year for games to go for a decent sale. I think your missing some deals. Here's just a few examples:

Mafia 2 - 75% off just four months post launch

Just Cause 2 - 50% off four months later

AvP - 33% off just one month later

Go ahead and look into it more and you'll see for yourself. Find a game on Steam, look at the launch date, then click on 'related news' at bottom right to find it's first sale.

I'm of course talking about their sales and not the normal MSRP. But they have sales all week practically, their midweek sale is tues-thurs and weekend deal is fri-sun.

But it doesn't take half a year for games to go for a decent sale. I think your missing some deals. Here's just a few examples:

Mafia 2 - 75% off just four months post launch

Just Cause 2 - 50% off four months later

AvP - 33% off just one month later

Go ahead and look into it more and you'll see for yourself. Find a game on Steam, look at the launch date, then click on 'related news' at bottom right to find it's first sale.

You're right, it might be quicker than 6 months after all, few exceptions here and there.

Was just looking at the history of ToW2, wondered if the 63 Metacritic score might have something to do with the disappointing returns from Steam sales. The Metascore is always very clearly posted, and poor scores do not help.

Oh well, we've seemed to have wondered way of topic here, good to see that there are CM steam group, I've joined both :-).

You're right, it might be quicker than 6 months after all, few exceptions here and there.

It has a lot to do with when the game comes out. Steam sales really get pushed in the Thanksgiving/Christmas season. I think Dragon Age and Batman: Arkham Asylum got sales within two months of initial release on Steam.

Steam is simple economics of scale. A video game has a huge fixed cost, but very little per unit cost (even lower with digital distribution). Thus games like Left for Dead (one of Valve's franchise game) which will attract huge sales, can make money even if the price drops below $20 pretty quickly.

BFCs position is probably correct that Steam won't increase their sales, so no reason to cut them a share of revenue or to pursue discount pricing.

For the poor people in Australia getting 15 kb/s, I've downloaded games from Steam at over 2 MB/s. I can't imagine putting up with speeds that slow.

It is an awesome service if, like me, you are patient for sales. I never buy games anymore for more than $25 - $30 (CM:BN will be the first exception in a long time). Just put a game you want in your wish list and wait for it to pop up on sale.

I have to say I easily understand both sides here. My steam collection has slowly been growing, the store is addicting and it solves a problem I have; I always lose CD's after a few years! BUT Steam is annoying, games are often buggy and things that work fine for a CD copy (mods etc.) always end up being a challenge to work with a Steam version or just don't work at all. Just a quick hint for people that don't know, if you are having internet troubles and want to play your steam games there is an offline mode. I have even LAN'ed a game I owned on steam with my brother by going in offline mode and booting it up and then him logging in and playing from my account in online mode. So there are workarounds but you have to live with the fact that convenience comes with a price. And that's Steam having a grip on YOUR games.

BUT Steam is annoying, games are often buggy and things that work fine for a CD copy (mods etc.) always end up being a challenge to work with a Steam version or just don't work at all.

I guess that the one issue with modding is the autoupdate feature of Steam (which can be turned off) and the awkward placement of the game directory. I have several modded games (Silent Hunter IV, EU Rome for example) on Steam and I've never accounted any issues though.

And Steam games being more buggy than regular PC games? Any examples?

• 1 month later...