CM: BfN steam group

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still have plans to release an integrated opponent finder system ourselves for our games. Unfortunately the work on this has to be squeezed between a lot of other (more urgent) stuff, so it keeps getting delayed. Looks like perhaps a more official cooperation with hamachi could do the trick...

Any effort of BFC's part to make finding opponents, and or playing them easier would be greatly appreciated. A lot of people don't play human opponents because its a pain to set up, fix that and you will be amazed at how multi-player blossoms. And you don't have to give someone access to the inner sanctum of the source code to contract some of this out either.

Just automating the handling of PBEM files a little would be huge.

We still have plans to release an integrated opponent finder system ourselves for our games. Unfortunately the work on this has to be squeezed between a lot of other (more urgent) stuff, so it keeps getting delayed. Looks like perhaps a more official cooperation with hamachi could do the trick...

This is great to hear Moon, thanks for the update. I recall talking about this way back when CMSF shipped. It is greatly needed, but also hate to see the time and effort put into it that takes away from features/tweaks for the CMx2 games.

No STEAM or anything else that requires me to d/l heaven knows what please. I like having a secure, protected system that doesn't allow 3rd party access to sniff around re how to market to me and send me more spam.

If this were true there wouldn't be millions using it. I've had it for 4 years and I never get "spammed". Unless you count a pop up coming up when they have the entire game catalog all 33% off on black friday :P. Maybe I'm overreaching a bit here, but it seems to me that older people (i.e. 35+) are either completely clueless when it comes to computers or super paranoid about viruses/spam :D. I'm just guessing you're older since basically everyone on this forum is.

Personally, I love it, I can see when my friends are playing, what games they're playing (it even lets you know if they're playing non-steam games... i.e. someone can see me playing CMBB), what damn server they're on even, and lets them/me invite me to their game server. Not to mention I like having (almost) all my games accessible in one easy spot. The downloads are always rapid for me too, at least if the game isn't a decade old. I average probably around 700-800kb/s for patches. Super old games it's more like 150kb/s. But then again, super old games have much smaller patches ;). Also not being able to lose your game cd and/or cd key is a plus. If you move house you don't have to lug around your game collection :).

That said, some people just don't like it because they like "hard" versions of their game (i.e. with CD/printed manual).

Yes, us oldsters are just waiting for the day your Raspberry, iPanda and all your contacts go down with your bank accounts wiped out cos someone got your passwords.

And us oldsters don't consider online virtual friends to be worth anything, heh. They going to drive you to the hospital when your spleen gives out? Ok, gotta go, getting a sponge bath from Helga now. :)

Yes, a PBEM Helper of sorts will be part of it. Now we just need to figure out how to add a few more hours into a 24 hour day... :rolleyes:

In a stage whisper " Temp it out to someone you already publish for". The email stuff in particular should not require giving someone on the outside access to the source code. And I do understand why you hold it so closely.

If this were true there wouldn't be millions using it. I've had it for 4 years and I never get "spammed". Unless you count a pop up coming up when they have the entire game catalog all 33% off on black friday :P. Maybe I'm overreaching a bit here, but it seems to me that older people (i.e. 35+) are either completely clueless when it comes to computers or super paranoid about viruses/spam :D. I'm just guessing you're older since basically everyone on this forum is.

Personally, I love it, I can see when my friends are playing, what games they're playing (it even lets you know if they're playing non-steam games... i.e. someone can see me playing CMBB), what damn server they're on even, and lets them/me invite me to their game server. Not to mention I like having (almost) all my games accessible in one easy spot. The downloads are always rapid for me too, at least if the game isn't a decade old. I average probably around 700-800kb/s for patches. Super old games it's more like 150kb/s. But then again, super old games have much smaller patches ;). Also not being able to lose your game cd and/or cd key is a plus. If you move house you don't have to lug around your game collection :).

That said, some people just don't like it because they like "hard" versions of their game (i.e. with CD/printed manual).

X2. Steam is just like the PC version of Xbox live or what have you. Its never spams you and I don't really care if it collects data on what games I play. Avoiding such things in life today is almost impossible.

The ONLY problem I have with it, is it locks you into playing games through the client for most games. This can be troublesome sometimes, and downloads are not 700-800kb/s here for me in Australia at least.

But yes a big bonus is never losing your game collection, unlike BFC who have the downloads expire after a year, which caused me a bit of grief when one of my hard drives died.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
X2.

The ONLY problem I have with it, is it locks you into playing games through the client for most games. This can be troublesome sometimes, and downloads are not 700-800kb/s here for me in Australia at least.

Like anything steam can be a mixed blessing. From Australia it will often download at only 15kbs for hours at a time. If the client is not co-operating, which happens sometimes, then you can't access your single-player games - very frustrating. Even more frustrating if you have to re-install the client because you then have to also re-install all your games - re-downloading 5-6 games at slow download rates is a real pain.

So sounds good as a friend finder, but it's performance in this part of the world sounds pretty different to what it is in the US.

Seems like an appropriate time to bump this. BE SURE TO ADD EVERYONE IN THERE TO YOUR FRIENDS LIST. You can't message them otherwise and would have to use the group chat. (annoying)

I prefer using the group chat personally, just invite random people and ask for a game. Or even better, don't accept invites unless you're interested in playing. I don't intend on filling up my friends list and having annoying popups all the time every time someone starts a game is all :|

I prefer using the group chat personally, just invite random people and ask for a game. Or even better, don't accept invites unless you're interested in playing. I don't intend on filling up my friends list and having annoying popups all the time every time someone starts a game is all :|

You can turn the popups off. Go to Steam>settings>friends and there are all your options. Problem with relying on the group chat is that someone comes in, sees no one in there, and leaves; ad infinitum.

Steam is the best way I've ever found for setting up MP games, no matter whether the game is actually published by Steam or not. The reason is because once you join a group and ID people as "friends," you can see at any given moment who's online, who's ingame (and what they're playing), and send/receive a spontantous message with them or invite them to chat, join a game, etc. It's great when you can just log on at 10pm some night and want to see who's around and might want to play right then and there.