CM: BfN steam group

Alright so I got all my RO pallies who are going to be buying this joining this group (just made it so I'm the only member as of now :rolleyes:), just so we can easily find opponents. Hamachi is limited in that you can only have so many members. Also steam is much much better about letting you know when someone is talking to you (you hear a sound if you're in a game for example).

Anyways, join up!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CMBfN

And admins/mods, I don't believe this is commercial since well... I'm just linking to my free group which can be accessed by downloading and installing a free program ;). So please, no deleting :) It's no more commercial than posting a Hamachi server name.

PLUS it's free advertising :D.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the naming just a couple of perhaps more useful questions.

1. I believe there is no Mac client for this?

2. I think some of the Beta Testers who have this client software installed encountered issues, but I might be wrong (certainly there are a few posts in the Tech Support area that pop up if you search for “steam”).

Well that's odd, I've played NATO with steam in the background before. Regardless it's a good meeting place. If there's really an issue you can always d/c from steam after finding an opponent.

Like I said hamachi has severe limitations due to the # restriction... with this we could have 200+ at once. Very easy to find a game then.

And steam is available for mac.

By now there is a Mac version of Steam (they've advertised it.. a lot). I actually start CM:SF with NATO through Steam and it works, but earlier versions of the game crashed on startup. Can't say when it actually started working... but it does also work with CM:A, a quick test showed.

Well that's odd, I've played NATO with steam in the background before. Regardless it's a good meeting place. If there's really an issue you can always d/c from steam after finding an opponent.

Like I said hamachi has severe limitations due to the # restriction... with this we could have 200+ at once. Very easy to find a game then.

And steam is available for mac.

I’m sure its great for whatever you need it to do otherwise you wouldn’t be doing the work to set this up.

Also one of the big benefits of Hamachi is that you go onto a discrete network that gives you a TCP/IP address and avoids all the potential hassles with router port forwarding, etc.

But I don’t have a vested interest in either approach.

Well you can't connect a game through steam (unless BFC sold it on there, which they aren't going to do pretty sure)... the idea is just... you leave this in the background like you leave your antivirus on in the background... someone messages you/you join the chat, THEN create/join a hamachi server and play. The enormous advantage it has over hamachi as a "find players" tool is that 1) No limit (or extremely high limit in the thousands at least) to the number of people who can join and 2) It has a general chat and you'll know when someone is trying to hit you up for a game thanks to the sound.

Whereas with something like MSN messenger or what have you you couldn't have a "general chat room" that anyone can join at anytime.

Interesting... so you can setup a discussion area within Steam for games that they don't carry? That's a bit unexpected :)

There are some discussions about Steam in the CM:SF Forum about us going with Steam or not. The short of it is we aren't interested in Steam. Remember, Steam is a for-profit company that requires us to sign a publishing deal with them. It's not some sort of friendly cooperative. We have seen the terms and conditions for being published by them and we feel, at least presently, being with Steam would do us more harm than good.

Steve

Steve, I think I can speak for a HUGE amount of us when I say...don't hookup with anybody...EVER...again! We've got seven examples of "when it's ready" working just fine...and we've got one cluster ****...so, I think that proves that!

Mord.

Not really. It's clever. A shroud of customer friendliness allows you to do whatever you want behind the customers back :)

Yes I’m also wary of sites that require you to download and run some “harmless” app on your machine.

Especially with Windows’s security levels.

My group is better than your group. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/battlefrontgamers

I was planning on updating it with CMBN stuff. I was attempting have it for all the CMx2 games and not just fractured to one family of games. But I don't think there's many CMSF players using Steam that much anyway. Might be different with CMBN, we'll see.

Yeah actually releasing the game through Steam will almost certainly increase your customer base, but god it can be a nightmare.

I am extremely anti the fact that I have to install the game through steam, then steam has to update itself, then apply patches, etc, all before I can play it. Sometimes, when your net connection is slow or steam is slow, it can take all fricken night just to play a game you just purchased (even via DVD).

Interesting... so you can setup a discussion area within Steam for games that they don't carry? That's a bit unexpected :)

There are some discussions about Steam in the CM:SF Forum about us going with Steam or not. The short of it is we aren't interested in Steam. Remember, Steam is a for-profit company that requires us to sign a publishing deal with them. It's not some sort of friendly cooperative. We have seen the terms and conditions for being published by them and we feel, at least presently, being with Steam would do us more harm than good.

Steve

I wasn't suggesting you should sell on Steam. It's just a good platform to find opponents... far superior to the "Opponent finding" forum. And better than hamachi for the reasons I've already mentioned. (though you would of course play through hamachi once you *find* your opponent via steam).

Us RO players have an inside joke about the "holy IS-2" and there's a group with several hundred members just for that :P. Google "is2 ww2" (no slash or anything) and see what comes up :rolleyes:

Hell there's even a gigantic "Boycott Left 4 Dead 2" group with over 20,000 members. And that's Valve's own flagship game!

Steam and Valve aren't all evil you know. Just recently they released a completely free game that I'd say is 85/100 on the fun scale and very polished (as Valve games always are)... they're very supportive of indie companies and the mod scene in general.

In short, they're not EA or Activision.

My group is better than your group. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/battlefrontgamers

I was planning on updating it with CMBN stuff. I was attempting have it for all the CMx2 games and not just fractured to one family of games. But I don't think there's many CMSF players using Steam that much anyway. Might be different with CMBN, we'll see.

Well, like I said, quite a few Red Orchestra players will be buying it (I'd say a good 75% of them have played either Combat Mission or Close Combat in the past)... and since RO is through steam only... well, you get the point :).

Oh and I was in your group already :D.

I think the group Steam is a good idea (there is also a client for Mac :)) and I hope to see many players for CMBN.

Have been made similar efforts for CMSF, expecially with xfire (http://www.xfire.com/communities/cmx2/).

Xfire is a good option, but there is not a client for mac, only partial solutions of third-party (ex. Xblaze for Adium).

But the problem is that players do not disperse in different way to meet.

Also is necessary a TCP/IP system for play, as hamachi or tunngle and again I think a possible solution for mac platform :confused:

they're very supportive of indie companies and the mod scene in general.

In short, they're not EA or Activision.

Yup, like I said, they're smart. Pushing all the right buttons with the customers and making that red pill easy to swallow. They're the Facebook of games. More power to the Steam groups!! Make more CM Steam groups!!! :)