Consider converting this to a module

Guest Guest

From the web page;

CM Afghanistan introduces completely new features to the series, such as:

* Drozd Active Defense system (on T-55AD and T-62D; shoots down incoming RPGs)

* Multi-barreled rapid-fire cannon (e.g. ZSU-23 Shilka, Kamaz ZU-23)

* New terrain such as Snow (on the ground) and Water

* Exit Zones (a new type of objective)

Don't know if that's what you mean, but they seem like some big changes compared to CMSF.

Mord.

Would you really prefer a module?

A module would mean no new terrain art, no new building skins, no new features like water and snow, no timeline stretching from 1978 to 1989 (I think). The stars in the sky wouldn't even be correct for Afghanistan! Not to mention mid-80's Soviets fighting against mid-2000s Americans.:o

You must have been joking, right?

Not only is it not joke a but it VITAL for CM:Afghanistan. Unlike CMSF the game runs for a full twelve months on the year. That means you've got to be at the right latitude and longitude to get the sunsets and sunrises right. In December 1 sun-up is 7am and sundown is 5pm. On July 1 sun-up is 4:45 and sundown is 7:30 pm. A big difference for conducting operations. the CM game engine is more subtle than you may think.

Darn. OOC, are there "game engine" changes? Or is it strictly new scenarios and units?

There is reason to hope that some of the Afghanistan stuff can be slipped into the NATO module, which might be some of the way toward what you are looking for.

Otherwise I don't understand how that would work. The units and TO&Es are specific to a time and place. I don't know what 80's soviets would be doing in Syria in 2008.

Don't worry about value for money, CM:Afghanistan is going to be a surprise hit I reckon.

When I first heard they were doing it I was like, "Ummmmm why????" But now after testing it I am more in the, "Ummmmmm Oh Yea" camp.

While you guys who arent a fan of CMSF's modern setting and are craving more WWII stuff, this is like a happy medium setting. Snowball scenario designers are pretty damn good I must say too. The Afghans actually do very well in their rag-tag equipped state against the Soviets. Think you guys will be surprised like I was.

"That means you've got to be at the right latitude and longitude to get the sunsets and sunrises right. In December 1 sun-up is 7am and sundown is 5pm. On July 1 sun-up is 4:45 and sundown is 7:30 pm. A big difference for conducting operations. the CM game engine is more subtle than you may think."

You think that matters to 99% of the gamers? What a lot of effort, when there's no time for other stuff that people actually want...

I don't understand what difference real time makes when the game clock simply runs down from start time. If it gave us real time, or if your market is Defense Agencies I can understand...

A correct environment will make a big difference in Normandy when you're still trading fire at 600m at 8:30pm late June, or in the Bulge title when you start losing spotting ability at 4:25pm.

Admittedly, those players wanting Soviets and Americans to fight eachother ten years after the dissolution of the Soviet Union probably aren't big on getting the details exactly right. ;)

Since the English version of this is supposed to follow the Russian release by only a few days they must have developed it almost in parallel. IIRC they did the same for the German vesrion of CMSF. I don't recall if there were any other language releases for CMSF.